“Fun and Insightful”

and up
Small-Group Circle Island Tour with Snorkeling
Ranked #15 of 315 Outdoor Activities in Honolulu
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Feb 23 was our tour, a beautiful, warm sunny day. Mike picked us up only 5min late and we were the last ones on. It was about a 25 passenger van, which really only holds 22 comfortably. The back bench is very suitable for a family with a small child who doesn't care about what she is looking at but an adult in the middle seat would not be too happy. Also, the seats we ended up with were the dreaded wheel hump seats which were excrutiatingly tight. Thank goodness, it was not a full bus so my husband sat on the aisle seat across from me and I sat on the aisle seat leaving the hump seats to hold our belongings. Other than this, the tour was wonderful.
Mike is a happy, energetic guy with a very warped sense of humor that suited us and I think the rest of the bus. He was very knowledgeable and was able to tell us the info in really fun ways. We Kept the coast to our right (passenger side) as we cruised passed multimillion dollar homes, many being explained in detail. The rest of the trip included stops at Eternity Beach, The blow hole (which wasn't blowing), many scenic overlooks, a coffee/macadamia nut store with the sole purpose of buying coffee and macadamia nuts, the area of the bonzai pipeline, Hanaamu Bay, Turtle beach for snorkeling (only one turtle on the beach but at least we saw one), lunch at Fumis Shrimp Truck and a visit to the Dole Gift store.
The snorkeling was really worth it though fins would have made it less exhausting and for me, only an adequate swimmer, could have covered more area. Unfortunately, the area is so shallow in some parts that fins may damage the reef and I suppose it is safer though more difficult without them. My camera bought on Amazon did not work so missed quite a few good shots of angel fish and others. No turtles spotted in the water, though 2 of our group who were able to make it down further in the reef did see one swimming.
Up on the beach though was a nice big turtle half buried in the sand. I almost stumbled on it but caught myself just in time. No one else was around it so that's why I almost missed it. Took a few nice pics.
The tour was over by 4 and we were back to our hotel. All in all, a very nice informative day.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

The trip started early, picked us up right at the hotel, and we were on our way after the greet and meet with everyone in the bus. Even though it started early, time passed by quickly by all the stops, views and KC never leaving the bus to silence by filling us with some interesting information where ever we passed by. I really really loved this tour and we took our 16 month old daughter with us and she loved it too! She was content, happy, and tired out by swimming in the ocean at one of the stops where we got to see turtles too. (The two photos are of our little girl on the Turtle Tour stops)
Thank you KC for making it a great tour Cousin!!!! haha

Reviewed March 16, 2014

All I wanted to do when visiting Hawaii was to swim with the turtles. I was advised that this was the best tour to do that.. However firstly this really is a round island scenic tour and secondly, if you are lucky, you may see a turtle on the beach and if your even luckier you may see a turtle in the water in the approx 1hr snorkeling time.
Shane was our guide/driver - a surfer dude who did his best to keep us ahead of the other tourist groups. He was nice enough, had a few stories and kept the mood light. There was some scenery stops, a stop at the Macadamia Farm outlet & Dole Plantation, however only 1 hour at Haliwa to snorkel. There was one turtle on the beach so at least we saw one, but none in the water during our snorkel. I've since been told this is not turtle season, however didn't know prior. Overall I was extremely disappointed - I wanted to see turtles not do a scenic tour. They should be more up front about the real chances of seeing turtles, especially in the off-season.

TurtleToursHawaii, Manager at Hawaii Turtle Tours, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Aloha Nadsy22,

I wanted to thank you for your comments. We have 2 tours that visit the North Shore, our original Circle Island Tour and our North Shore Xpress. The North Shore Xpress shuttle is a direct route and allows our guests 4-5 hours to explore to North Shore how they please. Our drivers are very flexible and we'll drop off and pickup at 3 of the best beaches on the North Shore as well as Haleiwa town for shopping and lunch. Please allow us to take you and a guest on our Xpress shuttle for free on your next visit. Mahalo

Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

We done the express turtle tour, seen some beautiful beaches and had a great lunch at the shrimp truck. We seen one smaller turtle on the beach we had a picture with and seen a larger one swimming in and come up on the shore line and then swim off again. We were very pleased with our trip, north shore is something to see!

Reviewed March 13, 2014

What a great day! KC is a great guide. He's a local who knows the traditions, history, language and has a wonderful way of combining everything in a easy to understand and inclusive manner. We'd considered hiring a car but are glad we didn't because we'd have missed out on all the good places to visit, photo opportunities and the stories behind the places we visited. Yes the turtles were good to see but it was so much more. This is another side to Oahu we wouldn't have understood or seen anywhere near as well. Thanks for a great tour.
A grateful Australian.