“Lucky find”

Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 17, 2014

This place is a nice change from all the Chinese food places in Chinatown. It's pretty cozy inside with a nice L shaped bar. Exposed brick and wood beams...or were they iron? The food part of the menu is small, but I think that works. Do some things very well and you can change it accordingly. My favorite appetizer was the oxtail dumplings!! Tender beef in fresh pockets with some clover sprouts and grape tomatoes with a delicious soy sauce. Might as well order the Lucky Bowl, and it was a good size. The partner had the sandwich special which he said was really good!

A couple days later, we found ourselves wandering around Chinatown and decided to come in for some wine and the dumplings. Unfortunately, they don't serve the oxtail ones at lunch, so we had to settle for the Pork Belly Bao, which was very good, but I really had my heart set on those dumplings. We told the friendly bartender that it gave us all the more reason to come back. But....Lucky us!!!...I think the manager saw our disappointment and the chef made us two, on the house. Both went well with Rioja from Spain.

Great wine, friendly service, and delicious food! i love Lucky Belly...and so does my belly!

Reviewed August 15, 2014

This place is located in China Town. We parked in the public parking lot down the street for $15.

China town is not very nice these days. There are many homeless people and vacant businesses in this area. There was actually a homeless person sleeping outside around the corner from this restaurant.

My family of 4 arrived here for lunch. We had to wait around 15 minutes for our table. We were seated at the very large table to the right of the entrance. This place is busy during lunch. The Lucky Belly uses reclaimed wood & brick walls adorn this hip ramen joint featuring a window for late-night takeout. Check out my pics. We started with 2 Diablo cocktails for $10 each.

I had the Belly bowl for $14, which was a spectacular ramen dish. My other family members had the Brisket Tartine also for $14 and the Pork Wrap and Tempura Shrimp for $12 each, which they were all very happy with.

The total cost of our meals was $79.32. Service here was very good here except the waiter accidently knocked over one of our Diablo cocktails, which was replaced.

2  Thank Tony J
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Four of us ate at Lucky Belly last week and it was fantastic. We shared a bunch of their appetizers, pretty much all of them, and they were all great. Wish we'd had more time in Honolulu to go back. We discovered Lucky Belly too late. Our loss.
Eating is one of my partner and I's favourite parts of traveling so we've eaten in a lot of places but we both agreed that Lucky Belly had the best service we've ever had anywhere. Reason enough to return to Honolulu.

1  Thank GZ1979
Reviewed July 23, 2014

We first their large bowls of ramen along with assorted appetizers for an early dinner then revisited later for lunch. The food was spot-on on both occasions. The meats - brisket, pork belly, pork - in the ramen bowls were very tender while the salads and appetizers were tasty with unique flavor sensations and their house cocktails also didn't disappoint. Go early for lunch though as the place fills up fast and reservations not taken for lunch.

Reviewed July 19, 2014

My friend wanted to go here so he asked me to come along. He was there first as soon as it opened at 5:30 so he ordered an Italian beer (Peroni) while waiting. I ordered one too when I arrived not too much later and I really liked it because I like my pale beers.

For appetizers, my friend ordered the gnocchi and crab cakes. I ordered the lobster shu mai and lamb lumpia. After waiting for nearly 20 minutes the gnocchi was the first to make it to our table. The lobster shu mai was next, then the lamb lumpia and finally the crab cakes.

The gnocchi came in a bowl and it was large enough for a meal by itself. The sauce on it was so heavenly - brown, rich, flavorful, tasty - it was absolutely delicious.

The lobster shu mai came as three on a long serving plate. They were the size of a large egg sitting in a meyer lemon beurre blanc sauce, which was a light sauce to accent the shu mai. I liked it but if I ever return I'd try something else.

The lamb lumpia came as four on a bed of tiny shrimp chips that looked like little styrofoam squiggles. This too was served on a long plate with a bowl of red/orange sauce that had a little kick to it. The lumpia was pretty tasty, the wrapping not oily. I have no idea what lamb tastes like but it was good.

Then came the crab cakes, each as big as a golf ball - three on a long serving plate with a light sauce dabbed on each cake. There was a lot of crab packed in those cakes and they were fresh and delicious, the outside crisp and not soggy like it had been sitting around.

Finally, we had the beast bowl. I don't remember ever ordering it because I knew the appetizers were going to fill me up. But I ate what I could and it tasted like any ramen one would have at any ramen restaurant - nothing outstanding. The meats were okay, nice and lean. I didn't eat the egg or the wonton, I was just too full.

The best dish that passed my lips that night was the gnocchi - it was perfection to me. Our waiter was very attentive, I really liked her. Maybe I'll come back but during lunch because I do want to try their tempura shrimp tacos. I just wish they had desserts. No problem though as we went to check out Liliha Bakery on Nimitz and got cocopuffs.

3  Thank Cynde808

Been to Lucky Belly? Share your experiences!