“Good food, popular spot”
Review of Lucky Belly

Lucky Belly
Ranked #30 of 2,405 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Tucson, AZ
“Good food, popular spot”
Reviewed May 17, 2014

I recently had the opportunity to try this at a friend's recommendation. I would not have found it otherwise. The restaurant is small and crowded. Seating is on wooden benches or stools. If you don't have a reservation, you will have to wait and best to get an early reservation as I understand they don't take reservations after 6:30. We went about 6 and they thanked us for making a reservation. They are open for lunch (11am-2pm) and dinner 5pm to 12am. The menu is limited but the food was excellent. The beet salad was refreshing and tasty. You can easily split salads or appetizers and they will bring you plates to share. I had the shrimp kim chee bowl with the kim chee on the side. The bowls include a steamed egg, green onions, ginger, wakame and sesame seeds in a bowl of ramen noodles. It is a large bowl that could easily be a meal in itself. They serve sake, wine, beer and cocktails but you can bring your own wine with a corkage fee of $15.00 or if older than 5 years it is free.

• Visited December 2013

Honolulu
“A Very Nice Restaurant in Chinatown”
Reviewed May 15, 2014

I took my "X" and my son for a late Mother's Day dinner at Lucky Belly. It was a first for all of us and we were not disappointed. We decided on an early dinner which worked out very nice for us. We found parking and the restaurant was not crowded then. First of all the staff was very welcoming and the food was excellent. We started off with the Pork Bely Bao, Lobster Shu Mai, Shrimp Goza and crab cakes and ended with the ramen bowls....Lucky,Fungi and Beast. I would recommend doing the appetizer route if you want to try lots of different foods. The wine list was sub-par but then again the food more than made up for it. We are definitely returning!!

• Visited May 2014
“Great spot in Chinatown”
Reviewed May 9, 2014

Really fun spot, great food and interesting cocktails. The pork-belly buns were especially delicious and we had the best crab cakes we've ever had (better than Maryland).

Visited May 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
Reviewed May 3, 2014

After reading lots of fantastic reviews I was excited to try it. Went there today at 6pm hoping first Fridays would've brought more people in, but it was not that busy.

Anyway I was disappointed by the food! I ordered the beef tartare, it was very bland and one note, needed some crunch, salt and pepper and some chilli. The togarashi is not enough. Also I don't know what they do to the beef but it's a very smooth mushy texture.Tasted like it was processed meat, Was asked by the waitress if everything was okay and I said it tasted bad and not what I was expecting. She just took it away, didn't offer anything or get a manager or anything. Very robotic not good at all. Then I had the beast bowl, this was quite bad too. The broth was overly salty, the short ribs were tough and over cooked. The oxtail dumplings were too sweet, when I asked what the meat was marinated in I was told hoi sin sauce. The pastry was undercooked leaving the dumpling chewy and floury. It was just bad. I could not finish either dish. I will never come back here a again or recommend it. There are far superior ramen-yas in honolulu and cheaper too!

The only good thing would be the service, it was very attentive although very robotic and fake.

• Visited May 2014
Oakland, California
“Great choice for Asian Food in Honolulu”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Had lunch at Lucky Belly, Barbecue Pork Wrap and a Pimm's Cup.
Left the restaurant with a "Happy Belly" and will most definitely return on my next trip to Oahu.
Look past the somewhat rough neighborhood, maybe difficult parking and eat at this cool spot in Chinatown, Honolulu.
My complements to the very friendly and accommodating staff.

Visited April 2014