“Don't be fooled by the Treasure Box trick!”

Maui Divers' Jewelry Design Center
Ranked #39 of 149 Shopping in Honolulu
More attraction details
Owner description: Maui Divers Jewelry is the largest jewelry manufacturer in Hawaii. Since 1959, their jewelry has been inspired, designed and created in Hawaii with such care that it is Guaranteed Forever. This entire process can be experienced at the company’s world-famous Jewelry Design Center in Honolulu, free tours are offered 365 days a year with free shuttle service from anywhere in Waikiki. Maui Divers Jewelry is renowned for its unique, high-quality designs featuring pearls, precious corals, Hawaiian gold, diamonds and other beautiful gemstones. Maui Divers Jewelry is available at over 30 locations throughout the Hawaiian Islands, including 8 in the Waikiki district.
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We lined up for the Hilo Hattie (HH) free shuttle from the pier to the HH store in Maui. (Not a bad way to see some of the island.) The HH representative gave me a key to a treasure chest at the Maui Divers' Jewelry counter in the HH store. "If you open the chest with this key you will win what's inside." Mmmmm, I was a bit suspicious, but what the heck?

On arriving at HH we came across the Maui Divers counter and tried to open the treasure chest. Of course the key didn't work, but hey, I still won! I was guided to the pearl counter and offered to choose an oyster to open on the spot and then I would have the pearl at a 40% discount; only $9 for the pearl. After the BS around the opening of the oyster we were again ushered to the counter with the settings available for the pearl, I had won (for $9). Talk about rubbish jewellery if ever I had seen it. The settings were supposed to be gold, but they were so flimsy they would break with five seconds of wear; well maybe five days. The cost of the settings was absurd for what they were, and I told the representative I didn't like any of their settings. But then the hard sell came.."you can buy another pearl and make earrings!". I couldn't believe it, I just walked away and told my husband to buy the pearl and we made a quick exit from the store. Quite frankly if anyone thinks the Maui Divers' Jewelry is good jewellery then they are fools and deserve to be separated from their money. And by the way, my brother-in-law is a manufacturing jeweller, so I do know the difference between good and poor quality mass-jewellery.

I'm sure this type of hard pressure sales technique would be outlawed in Australia.

7  Thank 14BUN
There are newer reviews for Maui Divers' Jewelry Design Center

Reviewed January 5, 2013

We ended up here after the "Breakfast Orientation" on our way to Hilo Hatties (where we actually wanted to go). The film is kind of interesting; then you get led through the manufacturing area to see people working on jewelry design and it is also neat to see how they make jewelry. Then...voila you are in the sales room and a female in a navy suit is trying to sell you something. No matter where you go...there she is. You really cannot look at anything without her trying to push one of the "on sale today" items. Best line? Me: "I really don't wear rose gold." Her: "Well you could." So you are trying to get out of Maui Divers and you think you see the way out...until you step down into the next room.

This is where the magic really happens; where the oysters just waiting to bestow pearls are located. Apparently all of the oysters at Maui Divers have been taking fertility drugs because there was an abundance of "twins!!!" on the day I was there. Depending on the color of your American Express card, you will get more and more of the "good" oysters (which, coincidentally are NOT in the bowls on the counter) and the sales people will even go back for more if they don't think you are getting good enough results. My first set of twins had two different sizes of pearls; the second was good though...and, surprise! they were also black like the first pearl which was in the process of being set. There were three others sets of "twins" in the time that I was at Maui divers.

In the end, I dropped over a grand because I felt like I couldn't get out of there. Yes, part of it was my fault for being a sucker and getting worn down by the sales tactics "you are helping the economy in Hawaii"-yes, I felt badly at that one. Here I was, rich American spending Christmas in Hawaii while some other poor dog has to work.

Maui Divers is ALL OVER Honolulu and Waikiki. On the same day that I was at Maui Divers, the women from the Hilo Hatties Maui Divers display were also all over me. One was walking around HH with a basket filled with colorful papers and offered me one. My lucky day! I won a "free" oyster to open! When I told her that I had just come from Maui Divers...she took the paper from my fingers, re-folded it, and dropped it back in her basket before walking away. I'm not kidding. Then, as I went past the display, another one approached me.

I love pearls as much as the next woman...but it's not like their Mikimoto.

5  Thank Docsunshine2012
Reviewed November 24, 2012

The black coral jewelry is my favourite. Hubby bought a beautiful necklace with a diamond and black coral. A must to have..... Interesting tour. The service was a little pushy by the service officers however, be firm........

2  Thank redvfr750
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Just like I said 3 pearls out of 1 clam. A gift for all. The prices are reasonable. The staff is nice. If I wasn't in the area I would of never known, but I also can live without pearls.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

Aloha V.I.P. Tours thru Delta Vacations took us there as part of our first days "free breakfast" and orientation. Breakfast is okay but it isn't a buffet where you can pick out what you want to eat. There at the breakfast Aloha V.I.P. Tours tries to sell you tour packages. Do not get the "Magic show" package. Besides who goes to Hawaii to see a magic show? Instead book a dinner cruise, Luau or a snorkeling adventure. Something more unique that you can not see on the mainland. Upon arriving at the Maui Divers Jewelry they have you see a video on how their company got started then they escort you to their "top dollar" showroom where they try to sell you their top of the line products averaging 3 to 8 hundred dollars. If you do not bite, they then escort you downstairs to their cheaper product line and their sales people are insistent (yes I understand customer service). Yet when you hear two sales associates saying to one another "Stay on those people" as in pressure them to buy. That isn't good to hear! The only good thing about this stop is that Walmart is within a two block radius and time permitting you have time to go pickup some things as we did. Especially if you are staying in a Hotel condo with Kitchenette!

5  Thank Culturalist