“Don't waste your precious Hawaiian time!”

Hawaii Kai Golf Course
Ranked #197 of 313 Outdoor Activities in Honolulu
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I found Hawaii Kai to be an extremely boring and poorly maintained course particularly as they charged $125 for a round and charged my wife $50 for the pleasure of joining me in the cart. The course is short and wide with very few obstacles to negotiate and I strongly advise people look elsewhere for golf on Oahu. I was particularly disappointed as I booked through aloha golf tours on the premise I would be playing royal Hawaiian which looks amazing and was apparently too wet and they failed to tell me until I was picked up. Therefore aloha golf tours get a massive FAIL as well!

1  Thank Duncan G

Reviewed October 17, 2013

This place should be shut down. It is an embarrassment. The "pro shop' smelled of mildew and the entire facility looked like it was about to fall down. There are rusting buildings, broken sidewalks and walkways and burnt out grass everywhere. I told a friend of mine that if someone handed me the deed to this place I wouldn't take it. It would cost too much to make it operationally acceptable.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

The web site claims you can see the ocean from every hole. This is true for some, most noticeably #10, but you really don't notice in most cases. There is a beach, some land, a highway, AND THEN the course. When I played (mid October) the conditions of the greens and fairways were not as nice as I expected.

For $110, I was expecting something a little more "special' than this. One good thing - if you go early, at least in the fall, you can play the 18 hole par 3 for only $10 more. The par 3 is in similar condition to the "championship" course.

The restaurant was better than average. The food was great, priced well, and the service was friendly.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

I played here with my Dad and a friend on a Friday morning in early October. Green fees and club rentals came to around $140 each. We booked a Limo for transport to and from Waikiki for $110 tax and tip included via the Proshop.

The course is located about 30 mins from Waikiki on the east side of the island just past Hanauma Bay. It's in a beautiful spot on the coast with ocean views from many holes. The greens were in great shape, but unfortunately that's about all the positive things I have to say.

While on the practice range (where we were not allowed to take the power cart, we had to be ferried by the staff) we met a older guy who claimed to have been there for ~30 years. He said the course was bought by Japanese 10 years ago and they have let it deteriorate. I have never been at a range where they charge for the rubber tee holders - this place wanted $2 - but our new friend lent us his.

Other thoughts / observations:

- play took about 4.5 hours with waiting on approx half the holes
- houses are in play on more than half the holes which had me stressed out
- there are virtually no yardage markings on the course except for painted lines on the cart path for 200, 150, 100. these are often not visible from the fairway
- there was no beer girl on the course, just a halfway house

I would recommend you play somewhere else.

1  Thank MikeInThornhill
See more reviews
Reviewed September 22, 2011

I booked a twosome at Hawaii Kai two days prior. the pro shop attendant I spoke to said there monthly special is unlimited golf. I said great better start early and get two rounds in. Waking up early isn't high on my list of things to do on vacation but for the opportunity to get two rounds in sounds like a great deal. The attendant also said my buddy and I can share our club rentals so we can split the price. I was elated at the value. At this point I didn't care how the course played or what the weather was like.

I got to the pro shop at 6:30 after driving 30 minutes in traffic only to find out the unlimited golf is not available on the day I booked. Today. WTF? He explained I must of talked to the new guy. He also explained its not their policy to allow golfers to share rental clubs. Wow. He didn't bend at all when I asked for a better rate. This course was not challenging but pace was good. The clubs were not even Wal-mart quality, they were swap meet standards and there time was up in the rental market. Course conditions were sub par and I might of left had the view not been so outstanding. We were probably 3rd or 4th group out, I can avow that no group on front raked the traps or repaired ball marks. Trash. Tee boxes were the worst I have ever seen. Can you say uneven. Often the ball was two inches above or below my feet while teeing off. Grounds crews spray pesticides or weed killers feet from where we were. I guess I'm spoiled because back home they turn their machines off while I am feeing off or putting. Trash. $135 for 18 holes and club rentals, I won't return to this place and I don't recommend it.

3  Thank B K