“Dirty hostel ruins the otherwise okay experience” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Polynesian Hostel Beach Club

Polynesian Hostel Beach Club
“Dirty hostel ruins the otherwise okay experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

The kitchen is tiny compared to the size of the hostel. But worst of all are the bathrooms! You feel like showering with your flip flops on, and it smells like pee. So if you're looking for something clean don't stay here!
However, the vibe is good and they arrange a bunch of tours which is great!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Corndog_sf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

I booked this hostel on recommendation of my friend. Checked out of USA Hostel chain and was heart broken, as Polynesian was in very shabby condition, I immediately thought I would regret my stay. However the staff were friendly and they have activities going on. If you're travelling solo and can't drive they save your life because they drive you up to North Shore or even the East Shore for the day. Sign up at the desk and its only $20 which is cheap as. You meet other solo travellers this way too. The breakfast they offer is okay, could offer some more. But if you are booking into a hostel you can't expect 5 star treatment or service. I spent a whole week there purely because everyone was social able and the hostel is like a 2min walk from Waikiki beach, Honolulu Zoo and near the diamond head. You could easily take a bus to hike Koko head.
I have stayed in hostels all the time and this hostel could do with a little work and some deep cleaning. When you check in they give you the option to pay a few nights than a the woile stay, as its not refund if you check out early. That tells me many people have probably checked out early if they hated it

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Superbluestar
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed in Polynesian Hostel Beach Club for one night after we landed late in honolulu Dec 28th last year.
We walked through the dingy side entrance where several intoxicated men (guests at the hostel) started yelling at us and asking us for our clothing. The staff member at reception had puffy red eyes and was staring at the ceiling moaning to himself. It took a great deal of effort to get his attention to serve us. We got a double room on the top floor. However the key he gave us was the wrong one. We walked up and down the flights of stairs 3 times with our luggage before he managed to give us the correct key. To get to our room we had to go through the hostel's dorm room and once we got into our room the sheets were stained, the window wouldn't shut (hence it was incredibly noisy) and there were hairs all over the pillows. The bed was rock hard. I felt so worried for my safety with the older intoxicated men trying to speak to me through the door that I left and simply spent the night walking around the streets of Waikiki instead. I'm not worried for my safety often, and I certainly don't have high standards (I've camped throughout some of the most unstable parts of Africa) but this was such a disappointment. The only thing I will say for Polynesian Hostel Beach Club is that it is well located (hence I could make a quick escape).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Louise A

Travelers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

Loved the location, walking distance to anywhere and bus stops up the road. Front desk was what is was for a hostel, I don't expect anything amazing from hostel reception (generally I do t care, I'm usually tired and just want to get to my room). I stayed in a 4 bed female dorm and I thought it was good, lots of space, got cleaned everyday, pretty good for $20+ a night. Don't get excited about the breakfast, it's a muesli bar and a piece of fruit. They have good tours, I didn't go on any but the girl I stayed in the room with said the north shore tour was epic. Overall, for what it's worth, I'd stay again.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

The private room I and my friend got was dirty. We stayed there for a week and asked for an extra mattress - the staff said they would bring one, but never did after reassuring us they will. Don't leave your car there cause the staff will need to move it for other cars to park - better to leave it on the street parking. If the staff had did what we asked and the room cleaner, it would have been a better experience. We wanted to cancel after a few nights, but they wouldn't give us a refund because we had prepay...so don't prepay/prebook for longer than a few days. Hawaii was otherwise awesome and will come back but not back here :/

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Kim T
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

Took the room with shared bathroom but the place was extremely dirty. Also, our room did not have any curtains and the ventilation system broke down. Only upside is that the hostel is in a nice location, just east of waikiki. Not recommended at all.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Thibaut H
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

Stayed, enjoyed the location, enjoyed the company, enjoyed the tours, enjoyed Hawaii. Didn't enjoy the breakfast, it's not breakfast they are better off dropping that comment altogether. It's run by other backpackers at length they may have a couple full time staff buts that's it. But it's hostel, it's ok, not the best but I been to far worse.

If they made more space for the suites it would better or do away with them altogether and just have dorms, the suites are too small.

But if you want a cheap hostel that's in a great location, great staff, friendly, book it, if you want more you'll pay more elsewhere and still have fun, it's your choice..

For me, it's a hostel, it's great fun, there are plenty of 5* hotels but you won't have the fun you'll have here for $20 a night.

Room Tip: It doesn't matter where you sleep, it's a hostel, just remember that.....