Polynesian Hostel Beach Club
Ala Moana Hotel(Honolulu)(Great Value!)
$189
$450
$226
$219
  • Breakfast included
Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa(Honolulu)
$199
$336
$202
$190
  • Beachfront
All reviewssemi private roomfree pancakes for breakfastbunk bedshighly recommend this hostel to anyonetop bunkbooked last minutewifi worked wellnorth shoreexcellent locationthe main stripnice staywould stay here againeach morningzooblockhawaiiensuite
Reviewed February 21, 2013

As backpackers go, this one is pretty run of the mill from the outside. The location is fantastic, just around the corner from the beach and nearby grocery store. We stayed in the double room with a kitchen, which was minimal but functional, it could have been improved with a few more utensils for cooking and eating though. It's old, and hasn't been updated, but it was clean. VERY CLEAN in comparison to actual hotels we also stayed at in Waikiki.

The staff training could definitely be improved, but everyone was nice. It's not upscale, no luxury here, but for budget accommodation in Waikiki, we'd go back.

Room Tip: Get the double room for a private kitchen.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cvb12
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Myself and my partner stayed in this hostel in September 2012 and it was pretty crappy. The hostel itself is a old motel building and though not great, could probably be ok with a little clean and TLC. But it is really the staff that made our stay here tragic. We stayed for 2 nights and everything from check-in to check-out, to asking for directions was met with rudeness. Some of the staff just didn't know anything and most just didn't care to be helpful. Waikiki Beachside Hostel is just a couple of doors down and even though we weren't a guest of theirs, our own hostel staff were being so useless I went in to them to ask for directions and they couldn't have been friendlier! Plus, even just from stepping into their reception hall I could tell their hostel was a damn site cleaner too. I didn't stay in the Waikiki Beachside hostel so I can't advise you to stay there but I do advise you to stay in any other hostel in Waikiki besides the Polynesian hostel!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lynn_halford
Reviewed February 13, 2013

This place is an absolute nightmare! I am covered head to toe in bed bug bites, if you've ever had them you'll know the hell I am talking about, if not please spare yourself the pain! When I told the guys at the front desk about them they denied having a bug problem and told me the 20 something bites I have are probably SPIDER BITES! Like that's better?!

The private rooms are only semi private, access is through a dorm, the same dorm you share one toilet and one shower with. Between 8people your lucky to see it. Which may not be a bad thing, the tiles are chipped and yellowed and our toilet was coming off the wall. They did have plenty of hot water tho.

Location is pretty good, no denying that.. But for the price you pay you can easily find something much cleaner and nicer.. And if all else fails, to be honest I've had better sleeps on the beach!!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stayed for one night in a private double room with shared bathroom. I had to go through a dorm room to get to my room. The hostel is dodgy in a small alleyway, common areas are outside beneath the hostel, seems like the garage area with exactly the charm. Parking is limited and costs 10USD per day. Worst: I noticed various bed bug bites on my body the next day. Needless to say that I canceled another reservation at the place for later in the week. I was not horribly surprised though, as the place didn't exactly seem clean or very well kept in general.

Room Tip: choose a different place altogether
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 16, 2012

It's been an interesting experience, somewhat a bit chaotic, but good people here. Booked my reservation through Hostelworld dot com but the hostel didn't have my reservation; fortunately there was one last bed available, so I was accommodated. Even when fully booked, they may still rent a hammock for the night at USD 10, but you expose yourself to the possibility of mosquito bites in the open air.

Present a valid photo identification, payment, read and sign their house rules, must be quiet from 10 PM - 7 AM. Issued linen and pillow for the bed. I paid a dollar extra cash for a towel. I was not issued a pillow, but a pillow was available for me to use, and was of poor quality for head support.

There's no air conditioning, only open screened windows for air circulation; so I wasn't able to sleep well, perspiring through my one night, tossing and turning till finally too tired then fell asleep. AC outlets are few and far between. The dorm room has hardwood laminate flooring, is very basic, beds, lockers for each bunk bed, bathroom was not very clean but functional, isn't provided with any soap, shampoo, so be prepared to provide your own. Toilet paper is provided. The floor was dirty from bits of sand in my dorm room, observed a roach in the office.

Friendly staff, ten dollar cash key deposit which is returned upon returning key at checkout promptly at 10 A.M. and will promptly reminded you if you're due for checkout that day or haven't paid for the next day yet. Bring your own padlock, towel, soap, shampoo.

Eight person dorm rooms are the lowest cost at USD 20 per person per night, locker for each person, you provide your own padlock or available for sale. Towels are available for a dollar; exchange for a fresh one as often as wanted during your stay. Luggage can be stowed in their locked luggage storage once checked out though it is stored in a locked room, there are no claim tags so anyone could potentially steal your luggage and anyone could access the luggage storage. Office is staffed 24 hours, ring front gate after 10 PM for entry.

You may arrive or depart here from the airport on bus # 19 or 20 with only luggage on the floor underneath your seat or on your lap, may not take up additional seat nor floor space for additional passengers, get off or on at Kuhio Ave and Paoakalani Ave. Allow plenty of time to return to the airport and through TSA as I went during rush hour traffic and then a tremendously long line going through security, and how slow it was to go through. I started to leave for the airport almost three hours before my flight and just barely made it on time with hardly any spare time. The bus may be a bit slow, and won't allow you on board if you have luggage that would take up floor space other than underneath your seat, but it's cheap at USD 2.50 per person and it'll get you there, just have to check their bus schedule, especially if you have an early morning flight before 8 AM departure. Check with thebus dot org for current schedule and fare.

Highly advised that you have a reservation no matter where you choose to stay before arrival or you might be unpleasantly surprised.

My experience staying at a hostel allows me to meet new people who wishes to interact and chat with each other in a way that otherwise wouldn't happen if renting conventional, and more costly private rooms. Met a young couple from Canada, a young man from Norway, a young woman from Mexico. Chatted and interacted with three of the four people. Sharing a bathroom with not only the people in our room, but also an adjacent room. So using the bathroom may require some patience. Soap is provided in the restroom of the office.

They provide free wifi, I would get a connection but no access to the internet unless I was right in their office. They do have one desktop computer in the office for public use for a fee. Laundromat facilities to do your own laundry. Public shared refrigerator if you want to store anything but looks like no one has cleaned the refrigerator or should be cleaned daily, but be sure to label, date ownership. Laundromat available for self-service laundry. Limited amount of parking for USD 10 per day. A "breakfast" is provided 8-10 AM of coffee/tea and frosted miniature doughnuts, not recommended. Snorkels and masks available for use. Credit cards are accepted. Payments are non-refundable.

Despite its minuses, if you can deal with no air conditioning, dirty bathroom, it's the best value for the money in a dorm.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo