“Disgusting! Stay away!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
brisbane
“Disgusting! Stay away!”
Reviewed January 12, 2008

I arrived in Honolulu late at night on an international flight. I arrived at the hostel and immediately felt unsafe, after dark the location is very dodgy. I had to walk through an all male dorm room to get to my room (I'm female) only to unlock and open the door on a naked man sleeping in my bed! I asked for a new room or at least some new sheets but they were all booked out apparently. To make matters worse the man had peed on the wooden floor in several spots as well as in the garbage bin! Apparently this couldn't be cleaned until the morning! I desperately wanted a shower but the bathroom made me want to vomit. I waited in the room (couldn't sleep) until morning when I discovered the same guy sitting on the toilet (still naked) reading a book with the bathroom door wide open! Time came to check out and....... To my shock, the new person at reception was the naked man (now fully clothed), he was an employee!!!!!!! Worst experience EVER!!!!

• Stayed December 2007
2 Thank roundthepacific

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Canada
Reviewed April 10, 2007

The peple were great, the location was awesome. We had a private room with kitchenette and it was much better than I imagined! They also have a very strict quiet policy after 10pm. I would highly recommend this hostel to anyone looking, we had a really great time there.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Only One Bed
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank ShannonS
oz
Reviewed December 25, 2006

what an absolute dump! i have stayed in a lot of hostels and this is the worst by far. unhelpful staff, most of whom are working there in exchange for their board and you feel like you are intruding on their home! also, the place is really dirty. we stayed there for 10 days and not once was our room cleaned, not even the floor brushed. the kitchen contains no basics, such as bowls! and the cleanliness leaves a lot to be desired. i don't know how the place isn't full of roaches. don't bother booking more than 2 nights in any hostel in oahu, there are plenty of budget hotels (some with kitchenettes) that are the same price per night as the polynesain beach club.

• Liked — the day we got to leave
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Tips/Secrets — only stay one night at most
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

Miramar, Florida
Reviewed May 8, 2005

It was a very good experience, the only problem was that i was unfortunate that i had bed bugs in my room, and no one else had that problem, but they handle it really well, they offer me another room(bugs free) and they wash my stuff and got rid of the bugs, i mean it was not their fault, it could've happend to any hotel or hostel, really nice people, the room was good, better than what i expected, the bathrooms not bad, it could be cleaner but not bad, I wouldn't have stayed anywhere else, it was excellent(for the price)

• Stayed May 2005
3 Thank echiang01
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 8, 2005

hostelhawaii

For $43.00 a night for a private room to sleep for the night this place is a deal. One block from the beach, buslines, walking distance to stores, etc.

I'm 42y and I took my 78y mother and got the private room but had to share the bathroom. No A/C in the room but we were only there at night when it was cool. In the private room only having to leave the windows open, it can become loud with the tour buses in the morning. In the front part of the room where there are 2 bunk beds for single you won't have this problem.

We really didn't have anything to complain about. There are alot of younger folks there...seems like they're vegabonds traveling the world but all so very nice. The ones behind the desk are very helpful.

All I can say...if you don't need all the clout nevertheless without the buggers...I'd recommend this place to stay.

• Stayed March 2005