“Excellent location, good value. I'd stay again.”

Hostelling International Waikiki
North American
“Excellent location, good value. I'd stay again.”
Reviewed April 3, 2010

The hostel is a converted apartment building only a few minutes walk from Waikiki Beach, buses, and a reasonable walk to attractions like Diamond Head & the zoo. It was clean, comfortable and the beds were quite comfortable. The sheets were a bit worn, but this is a hostel, so what can you expect, right? As mentioned in previous reviews, there is no elevator, so you will be walking up & down stairs, but it's a low-rise building so it's not that big of a deal, unless you have mobility issues. When I checked in, the gentleman at the counter was lovely. Very welcoming and friendly. I didn't use the kitchen (I don't want to cook when I am on vacation) but it was well-equipped and clean. The were a number of tours and activities available either free of charge or for a modest fee. I was very impressed with the whole place until mid-afternoon, when I went to the desk to ask about bus routes. The woman who was at the desk was short & slender with long hair and glasses. While she did give me the info I needed, she seemed bothered about doing her job, and in the middle of our interaction, the phone rang. She was so rude! I couldn't believe it. She said "I don't know/I can't help you" and the hung up. She turned back to me and made a comment about the caller needing directions to the hostel. I was glad it wasn't me on the phone!

Waikiki sucks. This hostel is a great deal, but Waikiki/Honolulu is just a big ol\ crowded smoggy city. The beach is very crowded pretty much all of the time. Check out Maui or Molokai instead. I promise you, you'll enjoy them more.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Humboldt, Sask.
Reviewed February 15, 2010

This is my third time to stay at H.I. Waikiki and I can honestly say that it is a great place to stay while visiting Honolulu. In previous years I stayed in the dorm rooms and found them comfortable and safe. Each guest has their own private locker to put valuables in and the rooms where cleaned daily. It is located one block from Waikiki beach, a grocery store and public bus stops. At that time it was 20.00 American/night. How can you go wrong?

My husband and I recently stayed in one of their private rooms. We had a great room with our own private bath with a vanity to store our things. There was a large closet with hangers. There was also a nightstand, table and two chairs. This room was 58.00/night. Being one block from Waikiki, how could we go wrong? We were out sight seeing and enjoying Hawaii and we literally pulled in around 11pm each night. Why would you pay $200.00/night just to sleep in Hawaii? They have a locked gate at 10pm each night so we felt completely safe and being my third time there, I have never had any problems. I have stayed in hostels all over the world and this particular hostel is one of my favorites as it is a smaller hostel and I find people who stay there are more inclined to interact with each other as opposed to staying at hotel sized hostels where people tend to stick to themselves. I have made wonderful friends at this hostel and I find the atmosphere very warm and friendly.

The morning after our first night we bumped into the manager of the hostel and he immediatley asked us how we were doing and if everything was to our satisfaction. I was very impressed with the staff here and found them very professional yet friendly and very welcoming. I would highly recommend this hostel as a must if visiting Waikiki. I know we will be back to stay again!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Escondido, California
Reviewed October 25, 2009

I have stayed here before, and will definately return! My only complaint isn't really a complaint, but as a 60 year old woman traveling alone, those were alot of stairs to the 3rd floor. But It kept me limbered up for all the walking I did in Waikiki area and North Shore. Certainly felt safe always, and enjoyed having use of the kitchen in the a.m. and to save leftovers from dinner. If you are not a sound sleeper don't forget your ear plugs, there is a good deal of street noise early in the a.m.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
miami
Reviewed October 20, 2009

This was my first time at a hostel and I tried to have as little expectations as possible. The building itself is not bad
Accomodations are ok
The bed was comfortable
Shared bathrooms are inside the rooms so u only have to share it with your roommates and not with the entire building.
There is no AC but I had no problem with it. The breeze made up for it.....if u r going during the sunmmer maybe this is something u should consider.
The staff is really nice and helpful.
I was lucky enough to meet some great people and had some cool roommates. We made friends quick and explored the islands together :)
I RECOMMEND THIS HOSTEL IF U R TRAVELING SOLO AND ON A BUDGET :)
If u r traveling with a friend u can split the cost of a very decent hotel in the same area for the same price ($60-$70/nite)

Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
North Wildwood, New Jersey
Reviewed October 2, 2009

This is the best hostel in Waikiki! For those of you on a tight budget, you could not pick a better place! Very cheap beds! The place is kept organized and spotless. Friendly and fun staff. Did I mention LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION?! The hostel is just a block from the beach and within walking distance of countless restaurants, outdoor activities, shopping, nightlife, and public transport. It's not the Hilton, but it's great for travelers who don't want to spend a fortune on accommodations around here. Hey, you're in Hawaii and why would anyone want to spend the whole trip in their room anyway? I have stayed here more than once and will definitely stay here again the next time i'm in beautiful Hawaii! (Hopefully sooner than later)

• Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
portland, oregon
Reviewed October 1, 2009

HI Waikiki is definitely the best of the hostels on Oahu. It has that perfect balance between being a really fun, social place where you meet people from Australia to Austria and end up going out on the town with them - and being a sanctuary, a really chill place which is clean and peaceful enough to have that beach down tempo vibe. The hub of the hostel is the Kitchen Lounge. The kitchen is spacious, clean, and you always have enough room to cook or to paint a water color postcard for back home on one of the tables, check your email, or lay down on sofa and watch a movie on TV.

There are long balconies outside every room where you can hang your wet beach towel or dry your surfboard. The Staff are super friendly and helpful and cool. The hostel does of a good job of monitoring the guests so you feel safe. And the office is open from 7 am to 3 am so someone is usually there to answer any questions.

The location of this Hostel cannot be beat! Yes there is the beach all along all of Waikiki, but the very best part of the beach for swimming is just here down the block. The ocean front, a block away is always humming. it's like a beautiful piece of the French-Italian Riviera with an Asian vibe. And there are so many bars and restaurants just around the corner. Another big plus to the Hostel's location is that it is very near Food Pantry, which is the only big grocery store in Waikiki. There are also a lot of trips you can take, it's good location to reach everywhere on the island from, and when you come back at night, you'll be glad to be in Waikiki as everything is open until very late!

I would definitely recommend staying here for an amazing experience!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank artemisrose
France
Reviewed September 4, 2009

We picked this hostel as we have, so far, never been disappointed with HI, and our stay only confirmed this. We got a private room that had all that the regular hotels usually offer, except for the AC and the TV, but the fan was good enough and, come on, who needs a TV on holidays in Hawaii?? Great location, excellent service. The HI Waikiki is the kind of place where you sincerely feel welcome. An inexpensive place to recommend!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple