The hostel is a converted apartment building only a few minutes walk from Waikiki Beach, buses, and a reasonable walk to attractions like Diamond Head & the zoo. It was clean, comfortable and the beds were quite comfortable. The sheets were a bit worn, but this is a hostel, so what can you expect, right? As mentioned in previous reviews, there is no elevator, so you will be walking up & down stairs, but it's a low-rise building so it's not that big of a deal, unless you have mobility issues. When I checked in, the gentleman at the counter was lovely. Very welcoming and friendly. I didn't use the kitchen (I don't want to cook when I am on vacation) but it was well-equipped and clean. The were a number of tours and activities available either free of charge or for a modest fee. I was very impressed with the whole place until mid-afternoon, when I went to the desk to ask about bus routes. The woman who was at the desk was short & slender with long hair and glasses. While she did give me the info I needed, she seemed bothered about doing her job, and in the middle of our interaction, the phone rang. She was so rude! I couldn't believe it. She said "I don't know/I can't help you" and the hung up. She turned back to me and made a comment about the caller needing directions to the hostel. I was glad it wasn't me on the phone!
Waikiki sucks. This hostel is a great deal, but Waikiki/Honolulu is just a big ol\ crowded smoggy city. The beach is very crowded pretty much all of the time. Check out Maui or Molokai instead. I promise you, you'll enjoy them more.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Aloha, we host all kinds of short term travelers from around the world: backpackers, gap year travelers, airline & cruise ship employees, students, families & single travelers. Thanks for considering HI Waikiki! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld so you can book your Hostelling International Waikiki reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hostelling International Waikiki Hotel Honolulu
- Hostelling International Waikiki Hawaii/Honolulu