Hostelling International Waikiki
Ala Moana Hotel(Honolulu)(Great Value!)
$169
$442
$305
Sheraton.com
  • Pool
Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa(Honolulu)
$179
$235
$219
Agoda.com
  • Pool
All reviewshi hostelprivate bathroomno liftbig kitchengreat locationprince edwardplace to stayno air concheap parkingeach guestfree wifiprovide towelscommon areastennis courtsfully equipped kitchenbus routesnorth shore
Reviewed September 4, 2009

We picked this hostel as we have, so far, never been disappointed with HI, and our stay only confirmed this. We got a private room that had all that the regular hotels usually offer, except for the AC and the TV, but the fan was good enough and, come on, who needs a TV on holidays in Hawaii?? Great location, excellent service. The HI Waikiki is the kind of place where you sincerely feel welcome. An inexpensive place to recommend!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kikiiiiii
Reviewed September 1, 2009

I have never been disappointed with HI, and this one is really worth the trip. People are friendly, service is excellent (everyone is more than happy to help you, and in a none cheesy way). A must-stay!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2009

For what is probably the cheapest room in Oahu, I was highly pleased.

I stayed in a 6-bed female room... but the pleasant surprise was that it was actually two 3-person rooms joined with a door, so while I could freely walk between the rooms, I was really only sharing with 2 other girls (and even MORE pleasantly, because the HI was not super-busy, for the most part I had my own room and there was one other girl in the front room). We also had our own private bathroom.

It was definitely kept clean. I even caught the cleaning staff once or twice taking care of my room.

Also, the staff is very friendly and helpful and can suggest all the different options.

As far as location, it really is centralized in Waikiki, only 2 blocks from the beach and the main thoroughfare, which has a lot of excellent tourist-geared shops and restaurants. Getting to other places, such as Diamondhead, Pearl Harbour, North Shore, etc. requires bussing or hiring a car. The staff was helpful with these questions as well.

There is a main room that you can use has a computer with internet, but I lugged my laptop out front (at the bottom of the stairs before the garage) and found free wifi. (It is not from the hostel though, I just picked up a signal).

The only negatives are that there is no air-conditioning, but to be honest, when I kept my windows open (with screens) and the fan on, I was not hot at all, and that it can be a bit noisy as it is necessary to keep your windows open so you tend to people who wake up early and are running about.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank AngieAllOver
Reviewed August 11, 2009

This hostel is located about 2 minutes walk from Waikiki & has v clean & spacious dorm rooms. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms were very clean as was the common area & kitchen. Really enjoyed the stay there & i'd recommend it to any budget traveller in Hawaii. Enjoy

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank Maggiehols
Reviewed August 6, 2009

What a great place to stay in Waikiki - we stayed in a dorm room as well as later a private en-suite room. Both were safe and clean and had plenty of room. Staff were great, friendly and helpful. Internet access available and very good kitchen facilities. Can't fault it!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple