“Great time here, No worries!”

Hostelling International Waikiki
Reviewed May 13, 2014

We had a blast staying here! We got discounts on a bunch of stuff because we were staying here. Discount on car rentals, bike rentals and surfboard rentals. A big shout out to Tyler, Rocco, Angel and the rest of the staff for being awesome! The location is prime too, only 2 blocks from the beach (two minute walk). I would definitely recommend hosteling international, Waikiki to a friend and if I ever come back, I'll be staying here again!

Thanks again guys, Aloha!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank teck83
There are newer reviews for Hostelling International Waikiki

Reviewed May 5, 2014

Stayed here over easter, the day arrived i got told there was no bed for me the first night even when i showed them the email they sent to me, so had to find a hotel near by for one night which wasn't really the end of the world its happens, also didn't get my deposit back for the key as i was leaving early morning but got told someone would be working on the desk so i could pick my deposit up from them, know one was there, i did send a email regarding this but got no reply, overall good hostel nice a chilled and 2mins walk to the beach, i would stay here again but like i said just needs a better management, i recommend this hostel

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank dan m
Reviewed May 4, 2014

The hostel is only 1 min by foot from the beach, its clean and has a good serivce. But attention you have to pay a $3 non-membership fee per night if you are not a HI member. But its still a good price for the wikiki area. If you want to be away from the big tourismis this is not for you but you should consider the north shore. But we had a good time there.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed April 27, 2014

The best thing about this hostel is the location: a couple minutes walk away from the Waikiki Beach and close to many restaurants, shopping and a nice walk from the Diamond Head hiking route. The atmosphere in the hostel was really nice and laid-back. I loved the kitchen, I had everything I needed there to cook my own meals. And you always found somebody to talk to, heard some really interesting stories there! The rooms were okay, nothing too fancy, but suited me well. They were pretty hot, air conditioning was kinda poor, but what can you expect in Hawaii. The rooms were quiet, which was nice! And the shower in the room was even better than I expected! I didn't have any problems in this hostel. Staff was always nice and helpful. I met the hostel manager once and he was a funny guy, loved him!

All-in-all really good experience for a solo traveler, I could stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

This hostel is an absolute jewel. Situated just a short walk from Waikiki beach and all its amenities, you get a clean room, great guest area and kitchen and very friendly staff. I stayed for a week and felt at home from the first minute on. Mahalo for the wonderful time

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank kertschy
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I'm shocked this hostel was rated in the top five in honolulu. The only good thing about this hostel is it's location as it's a block away from the beach. Before I even set foot across the door, I received poor customer service. I was arriving late into Hawaii and I was enquiring about possible late check in. I received a rather rude email in response, no hellos or regards just a rant on that I should seriously think of going somewhere else. Not the professional response i expect at such an establishment. The rooms are filthy and the floor looks like it's not been washed in months. The bathroom in the ensuite is dated from the 80's. It was rusty, tiles missing in the ceiling and simply not acceptable!!! The staff seem disinterested in tours and point you towards a binder! Yeah great but I want to know details!! They don't engage and ensure you have a top stay (bar one older man). The other guests don't really engage with one another and i therefore checked out early. This hostel needs a complete rehaul and staff should be more upbeat, engaging and polite.

• Stayed: March 2014
11  Thank Catriona S
Manager_HI_Waikiki, Manager at Hostelling International Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Aloha,

I feel bad that we weren't able to meet your needs. It seems you were upset even before you got here. The email you received was an "automatic response" and not from staff, but I'll change the wording of the email to make it more personable. Our paid staff cleans dorms daily, & while we are aware that our facilities are old and outdated, we do reflect that in the great price (Waikiki hotels are over $150 nightly). I've recently hired new staff so that is probably why they couldn't describe the tours for you.

It seems from seeing the other places you'v reviewed that this is the first hostel you've stayed in. Hostelling is not for everyone & Hawaii is very expensive. While we would love to offer hotel-like amenities & refurbish our entire building, it just wouldn't be possible without raising rates dramatically, which would make it difficult for many of our guests to come and visit Hawaii on a budget.

Mahalo again for your review & I hope you enjoyed your vacation in Hawaii!

Reviewed March 8, 2014

My boyfriend and I have stayed at this hostel twice before in 2012 and we're back again! You simply can't beat the location and price. We've always stayed in a private room, which includes a private bathroom. The shared kitchen is a great money-saver instead of eating out. The staff is helpful and the building is secure. We took advantage of parking for a few nights as well and it was very cheap compared to other lots in the area. Very clean. The best place to stay in Waikiki.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, you may find the open air concept a bit loud as there is a lot of street...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple