“Great Experience!”

Hostelling International Waikiki
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Stayed here for a week in feb, and loved it! Great location, great staff, Larry the volunteer was very helpful! Would definitely recommend this hostel! Very clean and private rooms are great! Very professional staff and felt safe at all times
I will definitely be returning, good for families, couples or even by yourself

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hostelling International Waikiki

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Thanks Larry Dahm, you're a star. Great activities, best I've come across in a hostel & a wide variety of things to suit different people. And a great way to meet other travellers. Friendly & helpful staff & very clean & secure hostel with equipment to loan for the beach.
Close to beach, restaurants & clubs/bars. Definitely head there for some fun activities.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Mazz395
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Excellent and friendly staff. Larry the your guide was exceptional. Very comfy beds and made for a very relaxing holiday in paradise. Would definitely stay here again.

Make sure and make use of the free rental equipment provided by the hostel. Makes for a cheaper holiday ;-)

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I love travelling and I stay very often in hostels all over the US. I must say, this is the nicest I ever been. Perfect location, one block from the best spot @Waikiki beach. At the reception they have all kinds of "beachwares" for you to use for free (snorkelingsets, beach chairs, etc). The hostel is located in a very safe area (believe me! Stayed at waikiki beach side hostel and there was drugdealers everywhere and someone got stabbed outside while i was staying there ). The rooms are very clean and the staff couldn't be friendlier and more professional. Congratulations to management! They also have many tours to book directly at the hostel. I got to go skydiving, swimming with dolphins, do the kaiak adventure and snorkeling with turtles. Had the best time ever! Experience shows it's better to do it from the hostel instead of risking a cheap and unprofessional tour you don't know - prices are very good. Thank you for making my stay in Hawaii unforgettable again! Will be back :)

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I spent a week with my friend in Honolulu and we had an awesome time at HI Waikiki. The staff was really great and our room was clean. We had a volunteer tour guide who offered us great places and advise throughout our trip. Couldn't have asked for better. We will definitely be there again!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I booked into HIW after reading the good reviews posted on TA. While I was not expecting much for the money spent (given the location), I did not have an enjoyable experience at this hostel.

Firstly service - The folks at the front desk were amicable but did not show any enthusiasm. Not in itself a big deal but amongst other things..

Room quality - This is the big one...I slept in a 6 man room which was separated into two rooms of 3. The room itself was tired with the bunk and single bed looking like they have had a hard life. I was placed on the single bed which is essentially a chassis made of steel channel and springs. The mattress was shocking. I could see multiple stains across it which ranged in colour from red through to yellow. While I had a bed sheet to place over the mattress, I thought I'd best be safe and flip it. That side was pristine!

Our room had windows which consisted of adjustable glass slats. When fully closed, there was no weather proofing whatsoever and wind could easily blow into the room. Being inner city Honolulu, there was a reasonable level of street noise which was bothersome and required me using earplugs (I am an acoustic engineer so I am maybe more sensitive to noise than most).

The power sockets were very worn and it could just hold my phone charger (with small adapter).

Our room included a shower and toilet which seemed to be in good condition.

Security - Unlike a lot of hostels I had used in Europe, HIW only provided small lockers to fit your most valuable of valuables. I know it says this on the site so I can't really have a go at them. What I can say is that the lockers themselves were flimsy and I noticed that 4 of the 6 had been bent so that when a lock is installed you can pry open the corners and get in a finger or two in. I found this unacceptable and made a complaint to the staff member on shift.

Location - The hostel is placed in a great location and gives you quick access to the beach.

Summarising - HI need to assess this hostel and spend money refreshing it to a suitable standard. While it is placed in a great location, I like to stay in hostels which are weatherproof, safe and clean. HIW did not hit any of these requirements. I will not be staying here again or recommending it.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
9  Thank Jonathan A
Manager_HI_Waikiki, Manager at Hostelling International Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2013

Thanks for your thorough review. Hostelling is not for everyone. It takes a realization of what you are getting for a $25 rate, being in one of the most expensive places in the world 2 blocks from the most popular beach in the world. I appreciate your feedback because future guests do need to ask themselves "Would I be happier spending $150 per night in a hotel so that I can get more amenities & newer facilities?"

We could spend millions of dollars adding weather proofing to our rooms (really weather proofing in Hawaii?!?!), getting new sockets, heavy duty lockers that are coin operated, putting an elevator, getting air conditioning, etc. but I can guarantee you that our rate would not be $25 a night :)

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Nothing special except that is has perfect location, shop are nearby, plenty of bars nearby, Waikiki beach just around the corner. The staff is friendly and helpful. Guests behave kindly, most of the time you don't even see them. Money/value is good. If you traveling with partner/s try to book private room,

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo