“Pretty average Hostel with very bad mattresses”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Honolulu
Seaside Hawaiian Hostel
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there for 5 nights in one of the "better" female only dorms. They have little curtains around each bed to keep your privacy but believe me, this doesn't make up for the crappie mattresses they have. I stayed in a lot of hostels before but I had never such a sore back as in this place as you literally sleep in a hole.

However, everything else was pretty much alright and the staff was really helpful if you needed anything.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Tplabst

Reviewed April 24, 2013

After a flight delay of over eight hours I was never so happy to arrive at my destination. The website will say that check in doesn't begin until 4PM, but if there is a bed available they will let you in.

The Rooms
The rooms are pretty standard hostel rooms. There are six bunk beds in each room, but only one shower/toilet so be up early. The rooms can get very stuffy during the day, but you probably will not be in there during the day anyway.

The Atmosphere
The hostel is unique in that there is a Banyan tree courtyard right in the center complete with hammocks and patio furniture. They also have a kitchen/eating area right near the front desk and an outdoor "bar" with plugs for your laptop or other electronic devices.

The Staff
Mark was very nice about allowing me to check in earlier and storing baggage.

Extra Perks
Free continental Breakfast and coffee all day
Free Wifi, though the signal seems somewhat weak and generally only works outdoors in the courtyard There is also a PC terminal with a 20 minute time limit.
Security is also quite good at this hostel, as your key will include an electronic tag to let you back into the gate which is kept locked.

Rules to Be Aware Of
Strictly enforced quiet hours after 11PM
NO alcohol in rooms, courtyard okay
Credit card number is used to secure your key, $50 if you lose it
2 night stay minimum, I got in late due to flight delays and had to pay for my first night. Still the cheapest bed in Waikiki I think.

The location could not be more convenient, apart from the fact that it is surrounded by very high end retail and dining so it can be challenging to find decent, inexpensive food.

I have stated this before in my reviews and in the case of this hostel I think it pertains all the same: go see what you came for, and the hostel will be there when you are ready to sleep.

Room Tip: When you arrive, there is a metal gate kept locked 24/7, simply ring the bell to be let in.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 3, 2013

The hostel is very friendly and everybody seem to embrace the spirit of it in the right way, making the place very secure and comfortable.
It s situated basically in the middle of the main strip of waikiki, so it s very easy to catch busses or go out at night. The courtyard is very cute and it s a nice place to socialise, creating some sort of "home" kind of feeling that is very unique for a place like honolulu.

The staff members were really kind and helpful in several occasions. Rooms were clean and restroom was in acceptable conditions.
The price is RIGHT! Only $23 a night for a 6dorm room with ensuite.

The only "down" side is that the hostel is right in the heart of the red light district. I mean, i m pretty ok with this stuff, but if i was a girl i wouldn t feel 100% happy to walk through this at 3am!
It s overall a safe and good place in my opinion, regardless of the transvestites and prostitutes, the drug dealers and the little gangs that float around the hood.

I would go again!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 21, 2013

i booked a private for me and my wife. she was coming from the west cost i from Asia. her flight was delayed two hours and she did not arrive till midnight the man on the desk . would not let her have the room we had prepaid
she called me and met me at the airport from where we got a hotel.to the next day i went to the hostel to ask why she was denied entrance the night before he said it was after check in time. we are both senior citizens. and they just don't give a dam, do not stay here. if i was 20 years younger i would have kick his but

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank capitankirk1
hikekoolau, General Manager at Seaside Hawaiian Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Since this happened a year ago so I can’t check on the details. First, the only way you can prepay a room is if you are already staying with us and are returning from another island. Second, if one person in a group shows up but will not take financial responsibility for payment we will not book them in. I don’t think any hotel or hostel would.
Last year we had a competitor nearby who booked a lot of private rooms using a hotel next door. They suddenly, and unexpectedly adopted a policy where nobody over 45 could stay with them. We saw this on their webpage and a number of those who didn’t meet their criteria came to us because they had been refused service. Maybe this person is mistaking this hostel for the other.
Finally, since a hostel is really a community anyone with anger issues is denied service since at a hostel with communal dining and entertainment one person can spoil the experience of dozens of others. I hope this reviewer will remember that if they ever plan to stay at a hostel again.

Mark,

Reviewed March 1, 2013

This hostel is in an excellent location being only a few blocks from Waikiki Beach and only steps away from the major bus routes that take you around the island. The staff here was great, especially Natalia and Jules! They were very nice and gave tips on the sites to make one's stay amazing! Only slight downside is I did see a few cockroaches near the shared bathroom, however I am sure its hard to prevent in such a warm climate.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Seaside Hawaiian Hostel for two weeks back in January. I have to say its the best hostel experience I have had so far and I've stayed in over 14 hostels this year alone....

What I really look for in a hostel is an informal but professional place to stay with clean rooms and a friendly inviting atmosphere. This place has it in abundance!

It's has a laid back Hawaiian vibe but at the same time they run a professional hostel.

The staff are always informative offering advice about the island and what to visit etc.

The staff also help encourage interaction with other hostellers through socials and hostel get together!

I have no hesitation in recommending this place!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Julie S
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I actually booked one of the double bed private rooms for myself when I was there this past week. Everything was fantastic except for one thing - the lack of insulation, both for providing comfort against the outside temperature and the outside noise. The windows and doors are all built to let the air come in from the outside, and while this is I'm sure great for most of the year, even in warm Hawaii in the wintertime it can get a bit drafty and cool at night. They initially gave me an extra blanket, but I later went back to get a second one, and even two blankets were not enough to keep me warm. The other issue was the noise - sometimes the weird noises of Waikiki woke me up in the middle of the night, be it people or fire truck alarms from the streets outside.

However, other than that (it really was a minor issue - just make sure to ask for enough blankets!), this hostel was totally worth it! There seemed to be some partyers staying there, but I also met some really smart guys from UCLA. The location (just 2 or 3 blocks away from the beach) is also good.

Room Tip: As the description says, you'll have to pay for 2 people even if you're by yourself if you w...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo