“A Solid Hostel in Great Location”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Honolulu
Seaside Hawaiian Hostel
nj
“A Solid Hostel in Great Location”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

After a 4 night stay at the Seaside Hawaiian Hostel on Waikiki Beach I want to let others know my friend and I had a very good time and experience with them. On one of the most exclusive (and expensive!) beaches in the world just blocks from the very best hotels, it offers basic clean safe friendly lodging to the budget traveller. If you are expecting the Four Seasons at a hostel, then you have no clue what a good hostel is or should offer. We had a private room with shared bath that allowed us to enjoy Waikiki and have enough money left over to watch a sunset and have drinks at the miilion dollar a night Sheraton Hotel bar! The staff there was nice and very helpful with information on how to get around and what to do. I have stayed in several hostels before and Seaside Hawaiian Hostel was exactly what I expected. No hostel will be 'perfect' or 'ideal' for everyone but for us it worked out just right!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank njshoreguy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Korean first
Busto Arsizio, Italy
Reviewed February 18, 2013

and thats how they get customers! we got a private room, the bed was falling apart and we find out that has been broken for ages, no chance to get that fixed. The kitchen can be used only until 9 pm, lights off at 11! the guys who work there are nice but they don't have a clear ideas of how things work, a few don't seem to care. The patio area is really nice, the room we stayed was clean, same as the bathroom. 2 points are mainly for the location, 5-10 minutes from the beach and the major attractions in waikiki.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I stayed here for four nights during my stay in Hawaii, three at the beginning of my trip and the other one at the end. I booked a two bed female dorm. The hostel is practically located in the red light district; all the prostitutes hang around on Kuhio Avenue at night and drug dealers are right around the corner. The hostel's patio is nice, but the area is very noisy at night. Bring earplugs. The beach is close, but nearby it is very small and surrounded by resorts. The hostel lets you borrow all kinds of stuff, like beach towels and snorkels, which is nice.

During the first stay the girl below me got bedbugs. Bloodstains all over here sheets, feces on the bottom of her mattress, and she caught one. They cleaned the room, but not as throughly as I hoped. The feces was still there. The manager said he didn't clean the pillows as he was sure there was nothing on there. The eggs are barely visible so who knows? The other girl cancelled the rest of her stay, I did not want to go through the hassle of finding something else and luckily didn't get anything. So far.

When I came back after four nights on the big island, I checked in around 9 pm. The girl gave me the keys for one of the rooms, and I walked into the two bedroom which is behind the main dorm. Both beds were taken, and the main dorm was a six bed mixed one. I paid more for a smaller, female room, so I went back to the reception and told the other girl that was there that there had been a mistake. She checked my booking which was printed out and confirmed that I was right.

She called the girl that had checked me in, and she said that I had not booked the two bed. I reminded her that I paid the exact same amount as during my first stay and that that was for what they call a private. She looked at her computer and said I wasn't booked for a two bed. I pointed at the printed out receipt, which did state a two bed female dorm. She flat out lied to me.

Then she said there was no availability for a two bed and she could repay me the difference, and she couldn't do anything else because she wasn't the person to take care of that (then why do you work there?). I just stared back at here, then she went to check the room I originally stayed in and it turned out my old bed was available. Sigh.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank ChantalGro
hikekoolau, General Manager at Seaside Hawaiian Hostel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Because this is such a detailed review I specifically remember this guest. I’m glad that she returned to stay with us for her last night even though she wasn't. We waive our two-day minimum if we have a person who has stayed with us 5 days or more and with no guarantees about the specific room or bed they will stay in. While she was here, every bed was taken and we had other guests who had to leave because we could not extend their stays. Sometimes we get lucky and by moving people from room to room are able to extend their stays. We try everything possible to extend a guests stay if they want to, because that generally means that guest is enjoying his/her stay at the hostel and this tends to enhance the sense of community and fun for everyone. Unfortunately, even though we waived our policy and explained the reasons (above) why she didn’t get the exact bed she wanted, she persisted in pressing the staff and finding fault with the hostel. I’m glad that for every guest like this there are dozens who enjoy their stay with us and are willing to join in a communal living situation which requires compromise and good will.

Mark,
Reviewed January 30, 2013

It's not often I review places, good or bad, but felt compelled to tell you about my experience here.

I have just returned from a major trip to the USA and Honolulu was my first stop in early December. I had booked 6 nights in a shared room directly through the hostels website in August and paid the necessary deposit. As always, I check on bookings before departure to be sure and emailed a week before saying I'd be in late and will see them next week - they said no problems.

So, to my dismay when I arrived in the late evening after almost 30 hours travelling, I find that "they don't have a booking under my name". Forget the fact I have a confirmation of reservation and deposit, and that I emailed the week prior confirming I was coming, they said it was cancelled and have no beds left for the entire stay....but they do have a reservation for another Kelly who was coming the next day. I'm not one to get angry and the girl who was on that night was really nice, mistakes happen right? So, it was late and I was tired so the girl graciously let me sleep on a cot on the floor for $20 and I could find somewhere else to stay the next day - but "the islands pretty booked out for the marathon" she said.

I awoke the next day and spent what should have been time having fun looking for accommodation on Honolulu - the cheapest I could find was $1300 for the next 5 nights and that was 50% off! Or, I could stay in a different hostel for a few of those nights, spending my days moving around and a few without a bed. At this point I became frustrated that their error had cost me not only money, but a good chunk of my holiday. I go to the desk to see what they recommend and ironically they had a last minute cancellation so I could have a bed for the next 3 days. I accept, purely because it was cheaper and not because I felt comfortable there. It was a girls room, so more expensive and they had the nerve to charge me the extra cost, only to wake up the next day with a guy sleeping in the room! Seriously, WTF is going on in this place.

I book a hotel room for the last couple of days at an inflated price and get on with my trip with peace of mind everything is sorted at least. On the last day of my stay there a new girl arrives in my room, her name is Kelly too. She starts telling me how she was meant to come a few days ago but they didn't have her booking or a room for her - the SAME Kelly that they told me just a few days earlier HAD a booking. They are so full of BS here and to be honest, I get the feeling they don't care about their guests. I'm not a fussy person, I don't need stuff and I just get on with my day, but this was a joke. What they did could have had me and the other Kelly sleeping on the streets of Waikiki for our stay and they need to figure out an effective system soon.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else...at least you'll be sure to have a bed when you show up.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank KBails
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Great location if you want to walk to Waikiki Beach. Can take bus to hiking spots or visit other beaches. Staff and atmosphere friendly and inviting. A noticeable difference from other hostels are the privacy curtains on bunk beds. Very nice touch, feels like you have a little privacy even though sharing room. Surf board rental is only $15.

There is an almost hidden Korean restaurant next door. Try their BBQ chicken dinner, big enough to share or save for another meal.

Overall a great value if traveling solo and feeling adventurous.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank jadelotus11
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed in a six bed female dorm (three bunk beds) for four nights. No evidence of bed bugs in my room. The staff is incredibly helpful and loved the free light breakfast...eggs and oatmeal for some small change. Quiet time is at 11pm. There were two shrill barking dogs that were yapping throughout the day. Loved the privacy curtains on the bunks. The location can't be beat!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Haumanjoy
Hilo, Hawaii, United States
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Ants everywhere. i see lots of ants trying to eat my toothpaste every morning. Molds on shower curtain, no wifi in the room (available in common area but still inconvenient). The beds.are.worst. they are sunken in the middle, so uncomfortable. and some of them even have bed bugs. One of my roomie said she got bites everywhere.
now i totally understand why they don't have many pictures of their facilities on the website.Good thing is they rent equipments for a lot of outdoor activities. and amazing location.

• Stayed January 2013