Seaside Hawaiian Hostel
Ala Moana Hotel(Honolulu)(Great Value!)
$209
$239
$219
Agoda.com
  • Pool
All reviewsbunk bedsdorm roomquiet hoursfree pasta nightbig kitchenscreen doorsemi private roomwaikiki beachenjoy waikikiheart of waikikiother guestsenjoyed my staybeach gearlocation is greatbars and restaurantsbusiness tripdefinitely stay here again
Reviewed January 30, 2013

It's not often I review places, good or bad, but felt compelled to tell you about my experience here.

I have just returned from a major trip to the USA and Honolulu was my first stop in early December. I had booked 6 nights in a shared room directly through the hostels website in August and paid the necessary deposit. As always, I check on bookings before departure to be sure and emailed a week before saying I'd be in late and will see them next week - they said no problems.

So, to my dismay when I arrived in the late evening after almost 30 hours travelling, I find that "they don't have a booking under my name". Forget the fact I have a confirmation of reservation and deposit, and that I emailed the week prior confirming I was coming, they said it was cancelled and have no beds left for the entire stay....but they do have a reservation for another Kelly who was coming the next day. I'm not one to get angry and the girl who was on that night was really nice, mistakes happen right? So, it was late and I was tired so the girl graciously let me sleep on a cot on the floor for $20 and I could find somewhere else to stay the next day - but "the islands pretty booked out for the marathon" she said.

I awoke the next day and spent what should have been time having fun looking for accommodation on Honolulu - the cheapest I could find was $1300 for the next 5 nights and that was 50% off! Or, I could stay in a different hostel for a few of those nights, spending my days moving around and a few without a bed. At this point I became frustrated that their error had cost me not only money, but a good chunk of my holiday. I go to the desk to see what they recommend and ironically they had a last minute cancellation so I could have a bed for the next 3 days. I accept, purely because it was cheaper and not because I felt comfortable there. It was a girls room, so more expensive and they had the nerve to charge me the extra cost, only to wake up the next day with a guy sleeping in the room! Seriously, WTF is going on in this place.

I book a hotel room for the last couple of days at an inflated price and get on with my trip with peace of mind everything is sorted at least. On the last day of my stay there a new girl arrives in my room, her name is Kelly too. She starts telling me how she was meant to come a few days ago but they didn't have her booking or a room for her - the SAME Kelly that they told me just a few days earlier HAD a booking. They are so full of BS here and to be honest, I get the feeling they don't care about their guests. I'm not a fussy person, I don't need stuff and I just get on with my day, but this was a joke. What they did could have had me and the other Kelly sleeping on the streets of Waikiki for our stay and they need to figure out an effective system soon.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else...at least you'll be sure to have a bed when you show up.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank KBails
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Great location if you want to walk to Waikiki Beach. Can take bus to hiking spots or visit other beaches. Staff and atmosphere friendly and inviting. A noticeable difference from other hostels are the privacy curtains on bunk beds. Very nice touch, feels like you have a little privacy even though sharing room. Surf board rental is only $15.

There is an almost hidden Korean restaurant next door. Try their BBQ chicken dinner, big enough to share or save for another meal.

Overall a great value if traveling solo and feeling adventurous.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank jadelotus11
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed in a six bed female dorm (three bunk beds) for four nights. No evidence of bed bugs in my room. The staff is incredibly helpful and loved the free light breakfast...eggs and oatmeal for some small change. Quiet time is at 11pm. There were two shrill barking dogs that were yapping throughout the day. Loved the privacy curtains on the bunks. The location can't be beat!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Haumanjoy
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Ants everywhere. i see lots of ants trying to eat my toothpaste every morning. Molds on shower curtain, no wifi in the room (available in common area but still inconvenient). The beds.are.worst. they are sunken in the middle, so uncomfortable. and some of them even have bed bugs. One of my roomie said she got bites everywhere.
now i totally understand why they don't have many pictures of their facilities on the website.Good thing is they rent equipments for a lot of outdoor activities. and amazing location.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Suhyeon K
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I booked this hostel on hostelworld due to the location and when I arrived I was not dissapointed!! Only a 2 minute walk from the main strip of shops in Waikiki and a 5 minute walk onto Waikiki Beach through one of the beach front hotels.
I was in an 8 bed female share and although the room was basic it was livable. You are given clean sheets to put on on your bed when you check in; however the matress had a plastic cover so they didn't stay very well. All bunks had their own 'curtain' to give privacy and block some light out as the rooms didn't have curtains. All rooms were en-suite and you were provided with a towel. Each bed had a locker however you would need your own lock. The room also has a drying rack so you can hang your bikini and a hook for your towel - good touch. This hostel wasn't as clean as some of the other hostels I have stayed in.
Free breakfast is provided each morning - toast with butter and jam or honey. If you would like eggs or muffins the hostel does provide these at a small charge! WiFi is free and the password is given to you upon arrival - and mine worked in bed too - bonus.
I had no problems with noise from this hostel what so ever!! It was so quiet at night as it was set off the road. If you want to take ear plugs you can as you might get someone in your room that snores!!
The staff are so friendly and helpful especially Robyn - lovely lady!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo