“Who would have thought ... A really good excursion” 5 of 5 stars

and up
Diamond Head Bike to Hike
Ranked #12 of 312 things to do in Honolulu
More attraction details
Owner description: Doris Duke's home, built in 1930, is an architecturally significant home which includes a collection of Islamic artwork.
San Diego
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Who would have thought ... A really good excursion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I went going in thinking "what do I care about some house from a lady of yesterday-year", but boy was I wrong. I got roped into going and I'm man enough to admit this mistaken thinking. It was fascinating, intriguing, and beautiful. Definitely recommend this place. Yes, reservations are an absolute.

5 Thank San-Diego-Surf-n-Sun

• Korean first
Honolulu, Hawaii
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“doris duke estate”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I enjoyed the tour. It was pretty warm inside though..
only downside..
enjoyed seeing the inside of her home and all her beautiful
artwork. I felt her spirit inside for sure.. a lamp even flickered
so I know she was around us.. pretty cool!

1 Thank thestacey
Boston, Massachusetts
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Location Perfect; Enter a Simple Doorway to Another World!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

On arrival at Shangri La it is a simple gate, driveway and entrance. Once inside a new world opens up to Doris Duke's life from 1940's until she died in her 90's. The house looks out through a glass wall to the Pacific. A must see.

1 Thank gconroy
Newport Beach, California
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Inconvenient meeting point.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Where you meet is close to town. The museum doesn't open until 10. No one would tell us where the pick-up was. We walked all around looking in the heat. It would be helpful if they marked the pick-up site. ShangriLa itself is very dark and there is no breeze. The art work is magnificent, but the actual experience was not pleasurable to us.

1 Thank ciraulo1
Baltimore, Maryland
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Stunning House”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

The tour for Shangri La starts at Honolulu Museum of Art. From there we were taken by mini-van to Shangri La. The tour is guided and photographs are now permitted only outside. Shangri La estate in Honolulu contains Islamic art collected by Doris Duke. She bought entire houses from Damascus and then reassembled some of objects in rooms at her Honolulu home, sometimes after having to retrofit wood panels for her house (like in Damascus room recently open to public). I am not an expert in Islamic art and I never been to Middle East, but the house in impressive and worth visiting. It will also show you what unlimited money and determination can accomplish and the result is really stunning. For some items in her house she outbid the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I did like the central court yard and the Mughal Garden. The view of the Diamond Head from her house is outstanding. I very surprised that this house is not mentioned on many travel sites as a top place to visit. I learned about the house from National Geographic magazine (March 2013 issue). I recommended this house to those which love art and are visiting Honolulu. I also recommend to book the tour in advance online and to read a little about the history of the estate.

6 Thank Horea R