Ways to Experience Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve
Go Oahu Card
91 Reviews
from $63.00
15,132 results
All reviews beautiful bay great place to snorkel snorkel gear mandatory video on tuesdays coral reef beautiful fish low tide short video underwater camera shallow water sea life entrance fee parking lot was full small fee parking spot arrive early
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Best snorkeling of the 4 spots we did in Hawaii. Got there about 6:30 AM, and had lots of room. Plus they don't charge entrance fee till 7:00. When we left at 9:30, it was getting pretty crowded, and the parking lot was full.

2  Thank StollerBrent
Reviewed July 13, 2013

This is a great location in Honolulu, easy to reach and away from the commercialism of Waikiki. As noted by another reviewer it could be a bit crowded, but a wonderful place to go for beautiful scenery and an easy first time snorkeling experience.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

This cove is beautiful and the snorkeling is great, if you go early. We were there by 7:30 and the water was already beginning to get cloudy. When we were leaving at around 10:30 the parade of people making their way into the cove was unbelievable. In the matter of a couple of hours Hanauma goes from a wonderful snorkel experience to a tourist nightmare. The facilities are good and the staff is very helpful. This place is a well practiced operation. Just get there early enough to enjoy the beauty of the location. There are so many other beaches on the island you don't need to pay to sit with hundreds of other people when the snorkeling is no longer the attraction.

So, if you can't get the kids up early enough to get there before the buses start off loading guests by the hundreds, pick a different beach.

1  Thank Shelly Z
Reviewed July 12, 2013

The first time we tried to visit they had the entrance coned off because they were full. $1 to drive your car in and & 7.50 per person. You must watch a video before you go down to the beach, it is important to make everyone mindful of preserving the nature. It was absolutely gorgeous and we saw so many colorful fish, 2 octupus & a turtle. I couldnt believe all the fish in such shallow areas. The beach does get a bit crowded. But you feel safer since there are lifeguards watching over everyone. Would definitely visit again!

1  Thank girllovescountry
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Sure has changed compared to the last time I was here 17 years ago. We didn't follow the advice to go early, so we got turned away to park in the public area.......but that was just fine as we knew this was popular tourist destination. I dropped my wife and 3 kids off at the top with all our gear, while I parked the van in the residential area below. I had to hike back up about 1/4 mile, which isn't so bad. They were very organized and the quick orientation/safety video was informative, even if it was elementary. If you can, bring your own snorkel gear, as there are many places in Oahu to use it. I recommend purchasing the all day trolley pass for just $2.00, as the walk sucks especially hauling all your gear. They opened up the parking just after 12:30 pm, and I easily moved my van where there were plenty of spots for just $1. My kids and wife were astonished with the variety of fish, and we were lucky enough to swim right beside a sea turtle! We took frequent breaks back up to the van for lunch and dinner, and stayed till close. Once again, great experience and highly recommended....even if you don't get there at 7:00 am.

1  Thank Alex C