“Tasty pho broth”

Pho Bistro 2
Ranked #236 of 2,510 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

Not a novice to pho, I'm always on search of a good Vietnamese pho place. The restaurant is located in a neighborhood which concerned me at first, the establishment being next to a curtained massage business. Not sure what that was all about. As soon as I walked in, I saw that the tables were completely full. The wait wasn't long before we were able to sit down and order. The spring rolls and the pho tai with rare steak on the side. The broth of the pho has a different flavor to it that I could not quite pinpoint, but the pho was still quite tasty and all the ingredients were good. My brother ordered the vermicelli cha gio w thit nuong ( egg rolls and barbecue pork ), that dish was also quite good. I would definitely recommend this place to any connoisseur of pho.

Reviewed May 26, 2014

The restaurant is not targeting the tourist crowd from Waikiki. There is a side parking lot with an attendant overseeing the lot. When my family and I went, the diners were heavily local with a casual dining atmosphere. The staff were extremely friendly throughout our dining time.

The menu's section had the staple of Vietnamese food: appetizers, rice plates, pho and bun. Several of our party had the spring roll and pork bun. It was excellent and the spring rolls were the best I've had. Another person had the pork chop rice with a generous helping of three pork chops. The 'meat to rice' ratio was high, unlike many previous restaurants frequented. Finally, we also had a Pho. the stock base was of high quality with a little sweetness. The condiments/additions were very fresh, with the usual bean sprouts, basil, lime and an interesting version of cilantro. All in all, the portions were healthy and the prices were mainstream.

I would not hesitate to recommend Pho Bistro 2. This certainly beats the chain restaurants that are taking over the dining landscape.

1  Thank mangosteen888
Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

Great location and friendly staff who chatted away to us. My first ever Pho and I'm addicted. It's a little off the beaten track but so easy to get to. Well worth it to get away from the chain restaurants in Waikiki. Hubby had the grilled meats and it was a huge portion. Food was delicious and very reasonable price at $40 for 2.

1  Thank Mabel M
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We really enjoy finding new places to eat one of our favorites PHO noodles and etc. Within walking distance from Kapiolani and Kalakaua Avenues in Honolulu/Waikiki is a welcomed treat for us after a workout at the gym. This small, but very clean and quite a pleasant atmosphere within, truly has it all. We liked the fact that we were always greeted with a friendly "hello", or is this just the normal "aloha" attitude conveyed by the staff, but nevertheless it was genuine to us.
The combination Pho was filled with several different "meat" items, and you could order the beef served on the side, very thinly sliced but raw and then you could lay them in your soup and watch it "cook". There are a few variations, I liked the chicken Pho myself and I tell you that the regular size was certainly ample for each of us. We always order the summer rolls as an appetizer, but we add a little more sriracha and a squeeze of the hosin sauce to give the peanut sauce a little more kick for dipping. ONO ONO is what we say of their food and their service is top notch! This is the feature we really like at this restaurant, all the condiments, including the napkins, chopsticks, soup spoons and little saucers are right there on each table, so we don't have to ask for anything else besides our water and they see to it that we are content and satisfied with our meal. And did I mention clean!!!!

1  Thank 96Deanna96
Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

We have been there twice. The first time was very good, which is why we went back. On our second visit we each got a large serving whuch is more than you can normally eat at 1 meal, but it was only a $.70 difference between the regular and large bowl. My wife had chicken and I had the steak and we both only got three small pieces of meat. The broth is excellent, but felt like there was too little meat in the serving. Service was okay.

1  Thank Wagolfingbuddy