“After the rain...”
Review of Maunawili Trail

Maunawili Trail
Reviewed June 17, 2012 via mobile

Muddy, muddy, muddy... Suggest going at dryer times. Also higher chance of being exposed to leptospirosis... Still, a great hike to the falls. Great views! Trails can be ankle twisters, wear appropriate boots.

1  Thank DeeBatman67

Reviewed April 14, 2012

Readers please note that reviewers here are confusing two completely different trails:

(a) One trail is a ten-mile (one way) hike called the Maunawili Trail, the Demonstration Trail, and -- sometimes -- the Ko'olaupoko Trail. This is a mountain and rain forest trail dotted with waterfalls, streams, and sweepingly majestic vistas of the Windward side of Oahu from towering volcanic cliffs to forests to the Pacific Ocean. At times, the rainforest ferns and tropical plants are so lush and gigantic that you feel you've wandered into the land of the dinosaurs. Great for advanced as well as novice hikers who are sensible and careful. Best to start early in the morning and leave a second car at the end of the hike. While it's great seeing the waterfalls going full tilt after a heavy rain, i personally would never do this hike in rain or when the trail is very muddy. As ever with Hawaiian rain forest hikes, beware of mosquitos! Have fun:)

(b) The second trail is a three-mile round-trip hike called the Maunawili Falls Trail, which leads to a beautiful waterfall and deep pond for swimming. No sweeping vistas here, but a great family hike through some beautiful and sacred tropic scenery leading to a beautiful place to go for a swim. Beware of mosquitos and avoid on weekends as it can get crowded. When you're lucky enough to be the only ones at the falls. it's total magic!

26  Thank BristolMags
Reviewed December 28, 2011

This is a classic Oahu hiking trail that can be enjoyed by all. No dangerous cliffs, and easy for the family. At the end of the trail is a water hole where you can swim, but nothing spectacular. You can find bush guava and lilikoi on the trail as well.

Reviewed November 5, 2011

A beautiful hike with gorgeously lush foliage and incredible scenery. Wear the right shoes, if it has rained in the last few days (and when has it not on Oahu?) this can be one muddy and slippery experience!!

1  Thank JasonE923
Reviewed August 14, 2011

My husband and I just got back form Hawaii (Oahu) 3 days ago and I wanted to make sure to put in a review of this beautiful hike that ends up in a gorgeous pool and waterfall. It is in the middle of a beautiful residential neighborhood. You just find an appropriate spot, park and go. The trail is beautiful it really is the jungle! large trees, palms and wild flowers. You most definitely have to wear shoes that can get wet and have enough grip. My husband and I had hiking shoes that can get immersed in the water. So glad we had these shoes. The trial has many different types of terrain, from rocky to muddy, you'll have to hike up trails with lots of exposed roots. We started on the trail around 8am and did not see anyone until the very end, and they were coming back up. Once we got there we were the only ones there, as time passed more people started to arrive. When we headed back we did pass by several people that looked like they were having a very difficult time, it seemed most people just didn't do their homework, wrong footwear (flipflops) and small children had to be carried. I don't recommend this hike for small children, or anyone that is not in shape. Diamond Head has nothing on this trail, we had hiked Diamond Head a few day before. I consider this trail to be moderate to difficult at times. It will take you about 45min to an hour, but believe me it's well worth it. Oh! wear bug spray the mosquitos bite, we did spay ourselves before but I still had a few bites in places where I didn't spray (under clothing)...not sure how they managed to get me. Have fun!

4  Thank meola4