“Wear appropriate footgear!!”

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Wear appropriate footgear!!”
Reviewed November 5, 2011

A beautiful hike with gorgeously lush foliage and incredible scenery. Wear the right shoes, if it has rained in the last few days (and when has it not on Oahu?) this can be one muddy and slippery experience!!

Visited October 2011
1 Thank Jason E

Orange County, California
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“worth the hike...not simple though”
Reviewed August 14, 2011

My husband and I just got back form Hawaii (Oahu) 3 days ago and I wanted to make sure to put in a review of this beautiful hike that ends up in a gorgeous pool and waterfall. It is in the middle of a beautiful residential neighborhood. You just find an appropriate spot, park and go. The trail is beautiful it really is the jungle! large trees, palms and wild flowers. You most definitely have to wear shoes that can get wet and have enough grip. My husband and I had hiking shoes that can get immersed in the water. So glad we had these shoes. The trial has many different types of terrain, from rocky to muddy, you'll have to hike up trails with lots of exposed roots. We started on the trail around 8am and did not see anyone until the very end, and they were coming back up. Once we got there we were the only ones there, as time passed more people started to arrive. When we headed back we did pass by several people that looked like they were having a very difficult time, it seemed most people just didn't do their homework, wrong footwear (flipflops) and small children had to be carried. I don't recommend this hike for small children, or anyone that is not in shape. Diamond Head has nothing on this trail, we had hiked Diamond Head a few day before. I consider this trail to be moderate to difficult at times. It will take you about 45min to an hour, but believe me it's well worth it. Oh! wear bug spray the mosquitos bite, we did spay ourselves before but I still had a few bites in places where I didn't spray (under clothing)...not sure how they managed to get me. Have fun!

Visited August 2011
4 Thank meola4
Chandler, Arizona
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“humid hike, quite physical, nice falls”
Reviewed May 26, 2009

We did this hike on Memorial Day. It was quite humid, the hike was physical, yet do-able (not for kids or elderly, though) and arriving at the falls was long over-due. Unfortunately, the falls were so crowded with local kids and we could not really enjoy even taking good pictures or clear water (murky from all the people that were jumping off the falls). I think if it had not been crowded, it may have been worth it, but with the humidity and crowdedness, I felt like it wasn't worth it. I would still recommend it on a non-holiday.

Lynnwood, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Hidden gem of wonder in Oahu”
Reviewed September 28, 2007

This 1.5 mile hike takes you up, down and around the side of a mountain. It says 1.5 miles but will take anywhere from 40 min to 60 min to the falls depending on your pace. The hike is moderate in difficulty and is not for someone with small children. The hike goes over 4 stream crossings (thus why small children are not recommended) water socks or shoes is recommened expecially at the end waterfalls pool. Be ready to get a little muddy on the trail as there are some spots where it can be a little dirty. However, all in all the hike and trip is incredible and would recommend this to anyone who is able to experiance the falls. When you get towards the end of the trail there will be a sign which has been vandalized but trust me you want to go down the trail. When going down the steps just remember you do need to go back up them which can be a little difficult. When you get to the bottom of the trail there will be a stream with many large rocks in front of you. This is NOT the end you have to trek up the stream to actually see the falls. Here is where your water socks come in handy. I suggest switching your shoes here to water socks and continue to the falls which is about 200 - 300 yards down the stream. There are paths to the right which you can take if you do not want to walk through the stream. The pool at the bottom of the waterfall is very deep, cool, and refreshing. I suggest you stay for a quick swim and enjoy the lovely scenery. This is a great picture oppertunity so enjoy a not so common gem of Oahu few people know of. We were told by a few locals unless recommended by someone else this is rarely visited by most as it's not on the map. Enjoy your hike. Me and my new wife sure did. Think of the movie "The Beach" and this is your waterfall.

5 Thank Keddie
Arizona
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“nice up close views of Koolau range”
Reviewed November 4, 2006

The main attraction is seeing the beatiful Koolau range up close. This southern part of the range isn't as green and lush as the part you see from the H3 Hwy, but it has a wide variety of plants and trees. It's mostly wild guava forest. I saw three kinds of guavas and they litter the ground, so there are clouds of small flies. Sometimes it smells fruity and sometimes it smells like rotting fruit. There is a nice area below three huge tropical pines just above and fairly near the beginning of the trail to sit and enjoy the view or eat your lunch.

I hiked 4.5 miles in from the Pali Hwy along a pretty level and clear trail. It looked like this was the best part of the 9 mile trail. It's worth going this far to see the north facing slopes which are greener. There is also a junction near the very beginning of the trail which joins up with the old Pali Hwy, which is now just an abandoned road. There are some outstanding views from here of the greener northern end of the range as well as more of the cities and bays of eastern Oahu. The trail gives a very nice overall perspective of this end of Oahu, much better than the Pali lookout.

The trail is fairly muddy, but you should probably have some kind of decent hiking shoe. Some closed toe water sandals would be perfect here. You could just wash them when you're done. I did get some mosquito bites but very few.

1 Thank Lund