“If you see one attraction on Oahu, ths is it”
Review of Lyon Arboretum

and up
Go Oahu Card
Ranked #50 of 331 things to do in Honolulu
More attraction details
Owner description: Part of the University of Hawaii, the Lyon Arboretum offers 194 acres and a research facility.
Reviewed October 7, 2009

To me, the most amazing and unique thing about Hawaii is the vegetation- giant trees, beautiful exotic flowers, amazing views. This is where you go to see them up close.
We were the only people there when we went on a week day in September. It was hot and humid, but really amazing. I brought my 3 year old, 6 month old, and pregnant neice. The place is great for kids- no rules, just walking around on trails is what you do. Now, you do walk up a pretty steep hill and it was tough on our pregant compadre, but you can take as long as you like to do it. The view at the top was just about the best thing I've ever seen (and I've been to some amazing places on this planet).
Its just a great authentic place- not touristy. The gift shop is even nice. The drive out there is great too. The arboretum is near the hike to the waterfall (I forgot the name- we didnt do it w/ kids and pregnant mama). I think we were here about 1-2 hours total. This is definately a must-do.

5  Thank platasil
There are newer reviews for Lyon Arboretum

Reviewed September 10, 2009

We really like botanical parks and arboreta(ums?) On our recent Oahu vacation, we went to Lyon Arboretum for a morning walk. Happily, our teenagers also like these kinds of walks (16 & 19). We saw all of four other people while we were there. The hike to Aihualama Falls was a very nice walk on a loose, gravelly trail. We took an umbrella from the visitor center just in case and used DEET bug spray before our walk. We were told the fall was only a trickle, but the walk to it was really nice. After our return, we went to the Inspiration Point and it was truly beautiful. Visit Manoa Falls just down the street afterwards, the fall is always running.

2  Thank Plumeria D
Reviewed July 15, 2009

The Arboretum was like nothing we had seen before! The flora was amazing! The hike was great, though we only went halfway because we did Moana falls too. Bring a can of Off and you won't have any bug problems..we didn't. We saw 5 feet tall leaves. Wild little micro tomato's. Beautiful flowering trees of every color. Huge aloe vera plants. Mountain apple trees..and a whole lot not mentioned. You have too see this for yourself..words don't do it justice. The ladies in the small gift shop were very very nice and they gave us umbrella's to borrow for our hike. Well worth the trip out there! Don't miss this!

4  Thank Faithhope033
Reviewed July 7, 2009

I went on this trail after reading all of the reviews and boy, I was not expecting this. I'm from suburbia and have gone on occasional hikes for vacation but this was too much for me for the following reasons:
1) Challenging trails that are ill-marked and not well managed. It is easy to get lost when you are on a side trail because some of the side trails aren't marked by anything, just some foot-trodden paths. Think of hiking in the rain forest with plenty of uphill portions.
2) Many plants species are not labeled. It would be helpful to know what type of plant you're looking at if there was a marker next to it.
3) BUG BITES. I put on long sleeve shirt and pants with sneakers and applied bug spray. At one point I had 4-5 flying insects around me. I got bitten twice and the mosquitoes in Hawaii did some deadly damage! My finger swelled up and I could barely bend it. In the mainland, mosquitoes do much less damage.
4) Prepare to get sweaty! Even though the rain forest is cooler than other areas, with the hiking you will be getting a work out. Bring plenty of water.

It truly was very beautiful and serene in the rain forest. You can hear the birds chirping and it was peaceful. But because of the bugs, heat, and fear of getting lost, I did not enjoy this trip. I escaped after 1 hour in which I was able to go up halfway. If you can stand all of those things I would definitely recommend it.

5  Thank lilikoi01
Reviewed November 23, 2008

Lyon arboretum is beautiful. It's past the hike for Moana falls, so I would definitely recommend a stop there if you're going to Moana.
You'll definitely see a much bigger variety of flora and fauna.

Two pieces of advice:

1) There are ton of bugs, mosquites, flies, you name it. If you're sensitive to bug bites, I would not recommend this trip. I came away with about 30 bug bites. Try to wear long pants and long sleeves. It can get hot, but you can change at the visitor center back into shorts and a tank top.

2) If you're going by public bus, the bus to Moana from the shopping center only leaves every 50 minutes and return is every 30 min, so get a schedule!

4  Thank altsavy