“Beautiful Plants to feed the eyes!!!”
Review of Lyon Arboretum

and up
Go Oahu Card
Ranked #37 of 341 things to do in Honolulu
More attraction details
Owner description: Part of the University of Hawaii, the Lyon Arboretum offers 194 acres and a research facility.
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We went on this tour arranged thru Holland America Cruise Lines on our trip to the larger Hawaiian Islands, back in 2011. This tour was of an outdoor area full with plants everywhere! So many it was hard to take it all in. Most of the plants were labeled and told some information about them. There were a few that I couldn't find the marker for it but took the photos anyway for their beauty. I will try to post one of those plants/flowers on here in hopes that someone may know the name of this plant. Most likely I'd be able to google it & find the plant but felt this may be more fun to find out what some one else know of this flower . This may not work for I've yet to be successful at posting photos on this sight except for my profile.
First of all we had a very educated young man who our Eco tour guide. He had a vast amount of information he shared with us through out the trip. I don't remember the name of the touring company but I keep thinking that it may of been thru the Valley of the Rainbow & Lyon Arboretum there outside of Honolulu on Oahu.
The mountains surrounding the area of the Valley are very lush green. By themselves it is quite a sight to behold! You enter in to the tour via an opening near the main building. Your guide will tell you about most of the plants along the way giving you the back ground to whether it is native or not to Hawaii or not, how it got here if it is not, what kind of plant it is, and how it grows. Be sure to keep your camera ready at all times because there are only 5,000 species of plants on a 200 acre garden. Oh yes by the way, wear good walking shoes! There is a lot of walking involved.
The highlight of the tour is hiking up to the top of a hill that over looks the valley below where much of the vegetation grows. It is a wonderful sight and a great photo op. there are lush jungles with flowers coming off of the sides of the trees for the moisture there allow the seeds to sometimes cling to the bark and start sprouting a plant just off of that! Crazy I know but it happens on the islands. I couldn't help thinking of Dorothy's statement in the Wizard of Oz when she lands there and comments "I don't think we're in Kansas anymore!" There are plants that I have never seen before in that Valley! Some are rare and are endangered. Many have a unusual color theme to them and the size is sometimes so large that you don't recognize them. I saw palm plants like the simple ones we see in the 48 main land states that instead of a small plant that would fit in my house they were 20-30 feet tall towering over head!! Unbelievable !!!! They have the largest collection of palm tree varieties on earth. When you get done with the tour you can believe that fact.
Some of the plants & flowers you'll see are bromeliads, hibiscus, orchids along with the palms, banana trees and many other tropical flora! This all in a wonderfully landscaped garden & a great helpful guide! What more can you want? The date I give below is not right but they don't have this calendar go back far enough. This was in April of 2011.

2  Thank Edna K
"hiking trail"
"well worth the trip"
"walking shoes"

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Apparently a tree fell and it can take weeks to clear a road in this part of Honolulu - sad as we were very interested to see it. CALL AHEAD and have an alternative trip ready.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Let me start off with visiting the arboretum was one of the most enjoyable things we did on our trip and the entrance fee is a suggested donation only (we pd $5.00). This place is a very large outdoor space that is part of the university of hawaii. All of the plants are labeled and there are some amazing trees and flowers here! We like to hike at home and this was a good place for a walk and there are a lot of oppertunities to go off the beaten path. My only warning is the trail isn't really well maintained so for older people or people with a hard time walking this maybe isn't the place for you. Totally recommend!

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Easy bus ride from Waikiki hotels. Glad we walked up to the falls. Steady uphill climb but worth the walk. Plenty of side trails where you will find interesting birds and great views. Well worth the $5 fee.

1  Thank JTM1905