“Really beautiful and peaceful”
Review of Lyon Arboretum

and up
Go Oahu Card
Ranked #37 of 341 things to do in Honolulu
More attraction details
Owner description: Part of the University of Hawaii, the Lyon Arboretum offers 194 acres and a research facility.
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Amazing variety of plants, including enormous trees, friendly staff

1  Thank visitingparents
"hiking trail"
"well worth the trip"
"walking shoes"

Reviewed December 31, 2011

We just love gardens, and this place is well cared for! Lots of variety, and amazing flowers!

2  Thank LivinGreat808
Reviewed December 15, 2011

Lyon Arboretum is my kind of vacation activity. Off the beaten path, no throngs of tour buses parked in the parking lot. I feel like this is the kind of place I had in mind when I decided to visit Hawaii, and I'm sure many others would agree. I did a self-guided tour, and I was lucky that it wasn't raining the day I was there. I wandered around for an hour or so, and I could have easily stayed longer if it wasn't for the bugs (mosquitos?). I'm not sure if regular bug spray would've done the trick, but I'll definitely try it the next time I come!

Lots of birds in the area, so this is probably great for anyone into bird watching as well. I really enjoyed taking photos of the plants, trees, etc. Very picturesque and very peaceful. Highly recommend, and wear comfortable walking shoes.

2  Thank atljs
Reviewed December 12, 2011

An arboretum is a great place to get a sense of native flowers and plants and trees, and to walk quietly and safely away from the hustle and bustle. This is true of the Arnold Arboretum in Boston, and especially true of the Lyon Arboretum in Honolulu. It is way off the beaten path -- all the way at the furthest end of Manoa Valley, probably 25 minutes uphill and into the mountains -- but still technically in the city.

We set off on one of the many walks -- there are numerous paths, some which offer shorter paths and some longer, more energetic walks. In the first few hundred feet, we passed lots of people working on plantings and maintenance, but after that, we were alone. Really alone, surrounded by huge trees, amazing gigantic leaves, flowers, plants.

For us, the best things were the solitude and the very thoughtful signs identifying and explaining the plants and trees you pass. Even more fun -- many of the signs have QR codes -- point your smartphone's QR reader at them, and a web page opens that explains the history of the plant, it's origins, how endangered it is, and so on.

A great way to spend an afternoon. The fee is only "suggested", as far as we could tell. On the day we were there, we put $15 into the box for the 3 of us, but nobody said we had to, and we didn't receive any ticket or receipt. I don't know what would happen if you didn't want to pay -- they'd probably say "welcome" anyway, but because it is such a great resource, I can't imagine going there and not chipping in at least a token amount.

2  Thank djsmapping