“What a gem!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Honolulu
Diamond Head Bed And Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 8 Honolulu B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 29, 2012

This b&b is everything & more you could want in a B&b. I've stayed In countless b&b's & this truly ranks among the best. I do not have a single complaint. Anyone who has anything negative to say about the furniture simply has poor taste. Not only is the home filled with lovely antiques, some are of historical significance. I now can say I've slept In the bed of a Hawaiian princess known for her girth & wealth. The owner & innkeepers are equally charming as is the home. If it's available, my advice is to book it.

• Stayed: March 2012
6  Thank Jthisco

Reviewed February 14, 2012

I am from Oahu. I had not visited there since 1974. Joanne and Sumiko were the most gracious hostesses, it really was like staying at my Aunty's house in Hawaii. It is close to all of the things that you would want to see, Waikiki beach, Honolulu, ect, and in many cases within walking distance. This was my first ever experience at a B&B and I was so happy that it was here with Joanne. Joanne knew so much of the history of Hawaii first hand which was very facinating to me since I was not raised in the islands!
I would highly recommend staying here. It is quiet when you want quiet and close to the night life when you want to go out.
It is not as "clean" as a 5 star hotel, but the hospitality is great!
A lot of the furnishings are old antiques, but it definitly has that lived in feeling!
We intend to stay there every time we visit Oahu!

Room Tip: The room we stayed in was Grandpa's Apartment. I loved it because it was separate from the main...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank LeialohaG
Reviewed February 8, 2012

If you're tired of all the hullabaloo around Waikiki, but still want to be close by (10-20 minute walk), this is a great place to stay. Joanne and Sumiko live here and make a MARVELOUS breakfast filled with fresh tropical fruit (the starfruit and apple bananas are from their garden!) and great conversation. I'd never had such deliciously sweet pineapple or papayas with lemon before. They make their own guava jam and calamansi jam.

We were upstairs in the Makai suite, which has two full beds and a great view of the lights of Waikiki from the lanai. It has a mini-fridge and a TV (which we didn't use) and direct access to a spacious bathroom. There is no AC but plenty of windows, so the cross-breezes cool you down. Just make sure you bring your bug spray if you really don't like bugs, as some of the window screens have small holes in them from age. We didn't have a problem with bug bites, even with the windows open all the time.

The only caveat I have about this place is the lack of a key (it is their house, after all. Sumiko won't lock up until everyone's back, but at the same time, you don't want to be out too late.). You will want to rent a car if you want to explore the rest of the island.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
16  Thank coiptic
Reviewed January 30, 2012

My mom and I were to stay here but my mom has a hard time with stairs (they didn't have another available without stairs) and this is a place where it feels like going to your grandmothers home. She has some cool things but also has lots of things throughout the home that are very well worn. She also has lots of things in different piles throughout the home.We were to stay in the Makia suite which had a great space with a awesome balcony looking over Waikiki but had very worn furniture and no key was given to us. I think that this place is good on a budget if you just want a hostel type place but if you like the hotel feel with all the amenities you will want to go somewhere else. Joanne the host was very understanding that this was not the place to stay for us and offered back the deposit. We ended up at the Marriot Waikiki Spa and Resort which is more my moms speed but costs quite a bit more! It's beautiful though and meets the feel of an upscale hotel with the service!

• Stayed: January 2012
6  Thank jlyn1977
Reviewed January 17, 2012

We have family in Honolulu and when they heard we chose a B and B instead of the big hotels they were perplexed. We on the other hand couldn't have been happier. The neighborhood of this B and B is quite upscale and easy walks to the large and beautiful Kapeolani Park and the beaches, Diamondhead and other locations. We stayed in Princess Ruth suite which was large, clean (tho' a little worn) and very comfortable. We never heard the other guests at night and felt like we had complete privacy. We loved the lanai and the gigantic bed! We agree with the other reviewers that if you aren't a B and B person or even if you are...this one is quite informal. You do feel like a visitor or guest in Joanne's home. We found her to be helpful while non-intrusive and loved Sumiko's "sassy" commentary which was usually right on target! Frankly, I just don't get those extremely negative reviews on TA and found the others to give honest and good feedback.

Room Tip: All rooms looked nice. The upstairs do require you carrying your luggage up.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Dianne A
Reviewed November 23, 2011

We stayed for three nights at this quaint B and B on our honeymoon. The hosts, Joanne and Sumiko were very friendly and offered lots of local knowledge. The style is eclectic and beachy, but homey and comfortable. A bit of a walk from the downtown attractions, which allows you to appreciate the city in a different way. Our room (the Makai Suite) had a private balcony which we enjoyed immensely, and a spacious room to spread out. The meals in the morning always provided more than enough food, and a charming chat with the hosts and other guests. It was a great start to our 10-day stay in Hawaii.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Ashley R
Reviewed July 17, 2011

I stayed at Diamond Head for two night. Hosts Joanne and Sumiko were welcoming and helpful. I arrived there quite early in the morning; Joanne offered me breakfast and allowed me to check in much earlier than I had expected. Knowing I was coming in early, she had arranged the room to be cleaned the day before. Throughout my stay, both Joanne and Sumiko were extremely helpful and full of interesting and useful information about the island and things to do.

Yes, the B&B is a little worn. It's not a standard hotel. It's a private home that's been turned into a B&B. Joanne has lived here for a long time and it's reflected in the decor and furnishing. However, the room (the Princess Ruth) was huge, and the lanai large and private. The furnishing have seen better days, but personally I felt the size, privacy, and quiet made up for it. It's not a place to stay for travelers who want lots of amenities or need many special accommodations. It's about a 15 minute walk to Waikiki Beach, but there is a bus stop relatively close (I didn't try it). The birds will wake you up in the morning, which I enjoyed. Something to keep in mind is that the two rooms (not Grandpa's Apartment) are upstairs and travelers will need to carry their bags up the stairs, a consideration for travelers with heavy bags or bad backs. There isn't anyone to help you with that. A car would probably be helpful if you plan to see anything other than Waikiki beach or the downtown area.

During my stay, breakfast consisted of plenty of fresh fruit and bread, as well as something hot (one day eggs, one day stuffed peppers, one day fried plantains). It was all healthy and hearty. Joanne joins guests for breakfast and is full of suggestions of places to visit, based on travelers' preferences. Sumiko was kind and helpful to me.

Overall, this was one of the quirkier travel experiences I've had; however, once I got over my initial surprise and took the experience for what it was, I enjoyed it. I recommend it for travelers who are looking for a slightly offbeat experience and don't mind sacrificing a little privacy for a more personal view of Hawaii.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo