“"too bad" attitude”
Review of Tradewind Charters

Tradewind Charters
More attraction details
Owner description: Tradewind Charters has specialized in private yacht charters for 2 - 100 guests for 25 years. Aboard their vessels you can go sailing, snorkeling, whale watching, dinner cruising and celebrate birthdays, weddings & receptions at sea. They also offer private memorial services at sea - ash scatterings. Their staff can customize catering and beverage menus for you to suit your tastes and budget. Count on them for friendly and professional service.
Anchorage, Alaska
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“"too bad" attitude”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Capt Ken was unwilling to make any concessions on our wedding reception charter despite many problems, concerns and mishaps. We checked out his boat several days ahead of our booked 3 hour sunset dinner cruise for 23. We immediately grew concerned when we realized there was not nearly enough seating out of the weather for our party - though the boat was advertised for up to 40. There is no where to set down a plate of food or drink - so it's all in your lap. Despite very stormy windy conditions (The AZ Memorial cruise had been cancelling daily) Capt Ken would not allow any kind of a refund when we discussed cancelling a few days ahead. We warned our party not to wear high heels, or risk turning ankles on the matting - despite pictures of decked out people on his website. He was totally unresponsive to our worries so we swallowed hard and decided to try, but thought about cutting it short even if there were no refund. When a horrendous traffic jam on Ala Moana made everyone late - including his caterers - he offered no reduction for our shortened cruise time. It turned out to be only moderately rough conditions - but my mother threw up and others just got extremely quesy and ate little. The Capt realized a bit late that we hadn't yet served the wedding cake (sans flowers) and he began whacking and hacking with the knife and throwing it on the plates, to get that chore out of the way before we hit the dock. Once back at the dock, Capt Ken tied up the bride with paperwork and signing stuff ( a refund for the missing cake flowers that we'd paid extra for, etc) as well-wishers tried to say goodbye and leave. When the Maid of Honor started transporting left over food, the Capt protested that his crew normally gets that. We had paid for a minimum 25, though our seasick party was less, and he wanted the food!! A vehicle parked at the boat basin was broken into and robbed while we sailed. "Too bad". Despite his nice crew, I would suggest finding another charter company and NOT doing business with this individual.

Visited December 2012
7 Thank Judy M

Chania Town, Greece
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“a NIGHTMARE. Owner is unprofessional JERK!”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Note: I have never written a bad review before, and I was not going to write one about this rude person, but after he hung up on me and didn't return any of my emails, I have no choice but to tell my story on tripadvisor. "Captain Ken" offered me a cruise on Thanksgiving day, I planned my vacation around the date he offered ... then he cancelled -- screwing up our plans. Then he had the nerve to say that he would only honor his offer if I paid his crew a 40% tip (or $200)! When I called to discuss this with him, I politely said that this was too expensive. At that point, he hung up on me. I emailed him back (twice) asking to discuss the situation, but he didn't reply. I suppose that not only is he a jerk, but he is also a coward. Here is the email I sent to him. If he writes back below trying to refute this, I will happily send anyone who asks the original correspondence.

"November 20, 2012. Ken, I don't appreciate being hung up on. I have been nothing but polite to you. When I spoke to you last time, you said that a good tip for the crew would be 10-20%. So on a $495 cruise, i was going to tip 20% or $100. When you told me a moment ago that I should tip $100 each (for a total of $200), I said nicely that this may be cost prohibitive for me. Then you said this was an insult and hung up on me without any further discussion.

You specifically suggested to me that we could "spend Thanksgiving together" on a charter. Then you changed your position and said it was an imposition on your crew ... I take great care of the folks that work with me. I tip 20% consistently and try to be as flexible as possible. Again, i am quite offended by how you have treated me without any justified excuse."

Visited November 2012
12 Thank mark l
Chicago, Illinois
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“3 hour Private Sunset Cruise”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We had a great time on the 40 foot sailboat named the "Love Boat" on our recent vacation to Hawaii. We chartered the sailboat for a 3 hour sunset cruise for 3 couples. We were celebrating my wife's birthday and I even surprised her and we renewed our wedding vows on the boat at sunset! Wow! She was so happy and excited! Capt. Ken and his crew were great! I would definitely recommend this to anyone wanting a great, fun experience. We set sail close to Waikiki Beach, sailed to Diamond Head and back as we watched a beautiful sunset & watched the lights of Honolulu & Waikiki Beach come alive! We spent the entire time sitting on the bow of the boat.....it was a lot of fun!

Some people who have written reviews of the "Love Boat" have not spoken too highly of the appetizers, or pupu's, and all I would say to them is that the " Love Boat" is a sailboat.....not a restaurant. We ate dinner at The Ocean House (which I highly recommend) after the cruise. Tradewind Charters can cater anything that you want on the cruise, so you can tailor your cruise however you want. We really enjoyed this cruise! It was one of our highlights of our trip to Hawaii!

Visited October 2012
3 Thank Steve B
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Highly Recommended”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Booked a sunset tour during my stay in Hawaii Aug 2012. It was a special night as I had planned to propose to my girlfriend and in hindsight I could not have wished for a better way to do it. I found Tradewind Charters to be very accommodating throughout the whole experience. The limousine pick-up was punctual and professional. When we arrived at the Dock we were greeted by our Captain and first mate. The yacht perhaps good do with some stain and polish and an interior revamp but all in all it was a very comfortable good looking boat that has all the modern facilities such as Ipod connectivity. The sunset was amazing, the ocean calm while the fireworks lit up over the Waikiki shore – It was breathtaking. What made the experience extra special was the services provided by the guys on board. They went out of their way to spoil us and made sure that we did not lift a finger allowing us more time to relax and take in the experience. They really did go above and beyond. The cost of the 2 hour private sail is very reasonable and I would certainly pay to do it again. I would highly recommend Tradewind Charters if you are looking for a romantic evening and a night to remember. By the way, she said yes.

Visited August 2012
4 Thank Wade_Adele
Tucson, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Love Boat 3 hours cruise”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We have booked with Tradewind Charters and taken the Love Boat at least a dozen times. Every trip is different than the last one and ALWAYS worth it. We think the captains, Ralph and Paul, and the first mate, Duke are fabulous. The crew knows about the area and the sea life and will educate along the trip. Everything about Tradewind Charters and the Love Boat is so much fun. We look forward to the experience on every trip we make to Oahu. Tim and Maureen Wright and friends and family.

Visited August 2012