“We would dive with Living Ocean again”
Review of Living Ocean Scuba

Living Ocean Scuba
More attraction details
Owner description: Daily Scuba Diving tours in Oahu, Hawaii. Scuba diving tours at Hanauma Bay Nature preserve (no experience required) and Boat diving charters from Waikiki. We offer two trips daily at Hanauma Bay, the perfect place to try scuba diving. Also check out our Two Tank Shipwreck and Reef charter in the morning for certified divers and the Two Tank Turtle and Reef dive in the afternoon - great for new, inexperienced and rusty divers. Boat dives include free transportation from Waikiki.
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We recently did a 2 tank dive with Living Ocean, and the experience was fantastic from start to finish. My husband booked the trip in advance and Dave gave us detailed info/directions via email and also confirmed by phone the day before.

Since we had our own car, we met Dave at the marina in Waikiki at 7 am. Apparently, Living Ocean and other small dive companies charter a shared cataraman. There were other people on the boat, but we stayed in our separate small groups once underwater. The vessel had all the basics - platform for giant stride entry, shaded cabin area, snacks/water provided between dives, and a crew to help you get on and off the boat.

My husband and I were the only divers with Living Ocean on the day we went, so we essentially got a private guided dive. I have my AOW but tend to only dive a couple times a year on vacation, so I like being in small groups. Dave was a very nice divemaster, providing a thorough briefing before the dives and he is very laidback and patient. I was really cold after our first deep dive and he gave me his own towel to help me warm up and provided a thicker wetsuit to change into.

Our first dive was a deep wreck, the Sea Tiger. This was nice because the captain drops you right over the wreck and you don't waste any oxygen getting to the site. Right away we saw several sea turtles. Our second dive was Horseshoe Reef, a shallower reef dive. Enjoyed the colorful fish at both sites. We were back at the marina around 10:30 am.

Although a smaller/newer outfit, Living Ocean was safe, professional, and friendly. Dave also shared some underwater photography tips and took lots of photos of us diving, which he emailed us afterwards.

1  Thank bananafishfever

Reviewed January 24, 2013

The afternoon dive was great today. It was raining but under the surface was calm and beautiful. Dave was great working with my 12 year old on his first ocean dive- as a newly certified diver. Dave was very informative and easy to talk to. We saw tons of turtles and eels. We even came across a scorpion fish and a bright yellow sea worm.
I've been on dives all around the world and this was one of the best companies I've worked with. Loved the small boat experience- even though it had other companies on the same boat. We were very well taken care of by Dave. The whole experience was well worth it.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

This was my first time scuba diving, and also for my 2 friends that were in my group. The driver who picked us up was friendly, the video we watched in the van was clear and informative, and the instructors on the boat were friendly, knowledgable, & organized. Our underwater guide, Mike McLaughlin, was super friendly, funny, knowledgable, informative and patient with us. He took a ton of great pictures, brought us to see a bunch of unique life on the reefs, made sure we were safe at all times, and communicated very well underwater. We went to two different locations, one of them was a cleaning station for sea turtles which was very cool. We saw a baby shark sleeping under the reef, a bunch of turtles, colorful fish, eels, sea urchines, an octopus, and other cool stuff. Everything said and done it was money well spent. The only negatives were that I do not have another scuba experience to compare it to. I have snorkeled, but not scuba. The coral was not very colorful at all, looked like it was dying, but nothing our guide can do about that. I give it a 10 out of 10 for my first scuba experience. Thanks Mike!

1  Thank Drew M
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I booked with them before flying to Hawaii and they promised "small group diving with only 4-6 divers" Well, they did but what they neglected o say is that 3 or 4 dive companies get together and charter a large catamaran and the each is responsible for their own divers. There is no "diver board"-the mate just goes around and tries to count heads. There is no overall divemaster. So you are on a boat with at least 20 other divers. Not much elbow room and it can be off-putting to nervous novice divers such as my wife who was doing "Discover Scuba". She passed up her second dive because of all the people.This is apparently a cost-savings business plan for these smaller outfits. Having said that, Dave, Mike and Melanie were very nice, patient, and knowledgeable.We dove Turtle Canyon and Horseshoe Reef. Lots of fish, turtles, morays, etc. Coral in good shape. Only one shark and he was sleeping in a cave! I recommend for intermediate to advanced divers who are used to big outfits and all the commotion.

1  Thank Jan K
David K, Owner at Living Ocean Scuba, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our business and kind words about myself and our staff. I'm sorry that you felt misled about the nature of the trip.

The diver count is taken very seriously on board the dive boat. The captain and first mate both count all of the divers individually after everyone comes up and make sure that everyone is on board before we leave each dive site. Each instructor also checks his group and makes sure that everyone is on board. Using this method each diver has been counted three time, making sure that no one is ever left behind.

We dive from multiple boats around Oahu which allows us to dive different sites and choose our location based on our divers' experience, interests and the current weather conditions. We do keep our groups small and I believe that for your trip I was the personal Scuba Instructor responsible for just you and your wife. Having these small ratios of instructors to divers allows us to pay close attention to our groups both above and below the surface. If you are interested in a private boat for just your group next time you visit we love to set up these trips for an additional fee. Over the holidays all of the boats on the island are fairly full - it is just the nature of our busiest time of year.

Once again thank you for the review and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Nothing can beat this. If you want to try scuba diving in Hawaii you have to call Living Ocean Scuba. We stayed in Waikiki and were picked up and dropped off at our hotel. I hate driving in unfamiliar places so this was a huge bonus for me. Once we got to the dock we were fitted for gear and briefed on the basics by our amazing guide Mike. He was great and took lots of great photos (including a video of the Sting Ray that swam by). It was amazing seeing all the different kinds of sea life during our two dives. I would recommend getting a picture cd when you are done. The pictures were excellent. We had some trouble with our disc but Melanie dropped a new one off the next day at our hotel. If you want to try scuba diving call living ocean scuba and if you like rap music Melanie knows Snoop Dogg.