“Nice staff in the club lounge, but with very poor room service”

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa
Ranked #22 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersBronze level
Champaign, Illinois
“Nice staff in the club lounge, but with very poor room service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

Overall the stay was pleasant except for a few things in the room and the service.

I tried very hard to use the suite upgrade for this stay from mid-March to right before the trip in early May, but the hotel was full during the whole stay. Then the VIP manager tried to accommodate our needs (microwave and empty refrigerator), which was great. In fact, I really enjoyed the club lounge service and the staff there was super nice and responsive. The club lounge was sometimes crowded, but I could manage to get there earlier or later to avoid the crowdness. Location was superb. We could access all the interesting and fun places easily. I just wish the hotel had a bigger swimming pool and its own beach area like Hilton.

Anyway, the problem part was the room temperature and the maid service. The room temp at night was really cold for us. During the day, we were out, so it didn't matter. However, at night the temp was too cool for us to sleep. It seems that the thermo can't go over 75'. Even at 75', it was still very cold at night. It's because we are somewhat sensitive and easily catch a cold at a cold temp. We in fact got a cold in the later part of the stay and took the cold medication. We put a cushion against the lower part of the wall to avoid the cold air circulation, but it didn't help that much.

The room cleaning service was great except for one day in the later part of the stay. I mentioned this to the front desk when I checked out because it was very unusual. I don't know what happened to the maid that day, but everything was not in its place and I got the impression that the maid hurried to leave before she or he completed room making service. One example was the bed. Attached is the picture of the bed after the service. When we turned over the first layer of the blanket to get in, we got surprised. The bath robes were gone and all the towels were on the toilet. I asked another maid on the floor to help me to get some missing stuff, but it was very weird to have that kind of service in Hyatt. I left my comments to the survey, but am not sure whether they all took care of these problems for any future guests there.

Room Tip: Room was cold at night (we got a cold after the stay in the end) and the thermo could go to 75 degre...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
lvans, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We appreciate all of your comments and find the housekeeping story a bit curious as well. We have shared your post with the Director of Housekeeping to review with his managers and staff. As you mention in your post, this is very unlike our daily service so we are hopeful that the team will be able to satisfactorily address this issue in their daily training sessions. We also regret the issues with the A/C. It is hard to know from the post if you notified the VIP manager or Engineering but we will follow up with each accordingly.

We thank you for completing the survey and we do hope that you will visit again in the future.

Mahalo,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,093)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

We just recently stayed at the hyatt for 2 weeks, I had read a lot of reviews previously and was a bit worried about the accommodation, but I would like to say, the rooms were quiet big, yes they are a little dated ,but clean, well serviced.
Beds and pillows were quite comfy, I took my own pillow and prob didn't need to.
We stayed in the ocean view rooms, great views, we were I.n the diamond wing on the 8 th floor, views were great, if u can get higher it would be better view, if u want total front ocean view u would have to ask for rooms ending in 9 or zero and prob from about 6 up as it goes to 38 floors.
We had breakfast included which was. Good deal.
I def would recommend this motel for situation in the middle of everything, right a cross the road from beach, great location.

Room Tip: If u can afford to upgrade to ocean view, lovely to sit out on balconies and watch the surfers, bit...
1 Thank Deborah S
lvans, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Aloha,

Thank you for the review. We are certain many readers will find it to be useful. We hope you will visit us again in the future.

Southampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

We arrived at the hotel at about 8pm after almost 24 hours of traveling from the UK. This was my sixth trip to Oahu (check out my other reviews) so I knew a little about the hotel before I arrived.

I had read on TripAdvisor to avoid any room ending in "01 and "18" in the Ewa tower and "51" or "68" in the Diamond Head tower as they are right next to the elevator. Upon checking in I was given room 2401 and immediately asked for a different room but was told they were full. "Oh well", I thought, "how bad could it be"?

I would like to invite the general manager of this hotel to stay in room 2401 for just 1 night imagining you have traveled thousands of miles and paid several hundred dollars for the "privilege". Please post a review on TA once you have completed your stay.

The noise from the elevator is so loud I am shocked and appalled that the management think that any room next to an elevator is suitable for paying guests.

I immediately went back down to the front desk and demanded a different room. I'm not unrealistic. I know I only paid for a "city view" so I was never expecting an ocean front suite, but I was expecting a room that was suitable to be slept in. 2401 is not.

After 5 minutes of tapping away on the computer, the same man behind the desk "magically" found me a room on a higher floor that apparently wasn't available when I checked in 15 minutes prior. This room had a number ending in 17 (one more room away from the elevator). This was slightly quieter, but only just.

While we experienced slightly less noise from the elevator in that room, we did encounter another sound problem. The seal around the balcony door was so bad we had constant whistling from the wind when it's closed. After one night of this I went to the "Food Pantry" on Kuhio Ave and bought some duct tape to seal up door (see photo). Judging by the small pieces of tape I saw left on the door I wasn't the first guest to stop the noise in this way.

After one more night I asked to change rooms again. This time I was given a room ending in 16 (2 away from the elevator) on a much lower floor. This room had almost no elevator noise and was low enough to not experience any whistling wind. The view was rubbish but by this point I just happy to have a room that was quiet.

This room had the capacity to sleep 4 people but only had 3 drawers to store clothes. I found the 3 drawers inadequate for 2 people so I have no idea how 4 people would cope.

There were lots of little things wrong with this room but we decided to put up with them for the remaining 12 days. Light switches that did nothing, bathroom doors that wouldn't lock, flaking paint, cracked sink, stained carpets, low water pressure but most worryingly, a front door whose mortise lock was so loose you could probably open it without a key card by just pushing on it from the outside.

As for the mandatory resort fee, it's just a money grab. Proper resorts have private beaches, golf courses and tennis courts. This is a just a hotel pretending to be a resort to squeeze more money out of its guests.

So, what do you get for your resort fee? 2 bottles of water a day (that you can get for a dollar at an ABC store), 200mb of internet access a day (which you can get for free at any coffee shop) free phone calls, free faxes (faxes? in 2013? really?), access to the gym (which I had no intention of using, and neither did anyone else judging by the number of people I saw using it), use of beach towels (I brought my own) and "cultural activities" which anyone walking through the 1st floor of the hotel can experience for free.

I was offered to join a Hyatt club to reduce the cost of the resort fee but declined as due to this stay I have no plans to ever stay at this hotel again or any other Hyatt hotels around the world.

One positive, the staff seemed nice and upon checking out I was offered free use of a hospitality room in the afternoon. As I had a late flight this allowed me to have a shower and change my clothes before flying home.

Apparently the elevators were modernised in 2012. Whatever company upgraded them did a horrendous job. Yes, they may be faster than they were, but now you have over 300 rooms that are uninhabitable due to the noise. I feel bad for the staff working on the front desk as I imagine they get complaints about this everyday. Management, please take note; you need to find a proper solution to the elevator noise problem... Ear plugs are not it.

This hotel is still being advertised as being 4 stars. In no way is that true. I'd barely award it 3 given what I had to fix myself or simply put up with. It may well have been rated 4 stars when it first opened in 1976 but I'm sure that's because that's the last time it was renovated.

1 Thank Magicman49
lvans, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this detailed feedback. We value your comments and while this will be the only TripAdvisor response from the property we have certainly shared your criticisms with our management. We are sorry that you had so many issues with your room assignments and that you did not have many peaceful nights. We also regret that you did not like the state of the hotel rooms or the amenities that are provided. We do take our TripAdvisor reviews very seriously and assure you that your comments will be reviewed and discussed for correction in either service or future room design.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort and Spa and couldn't have been happier. We stayed for 8 days and loved every minute of it. I reviewed hotels for about a month before booking this hotel because I wanted to make sure we had the perfect hotel for us. I wanted to be right in font of the beach without there being any buildings in front of us (stay on Diamond head tower), I wanted to have a pool and obviously some shopping. This hotel has everything you need, car rentals, shops, restaurants, pools great room service and AMAZING views (make sure you ask for ocean view). I recommend that you rent a car for a whole day, preferably a convertible, and drive the whole island. we did that and it was by far the best experience on the Island. I've been to Waikiki two times and to the Big Island once, I've never stayed at a bad hotel but this is definitely one of my favorite hotels so far and the staff members were extremely friendly and helpful. Also, the breakfast there is soooo good!

Please note that I haven't stayed at a hotel that isn't 4 or 5 stars, I'm a bit picky :)

Room Tip: My only little problem was that I had to ask our house keeper to please clean the toilet, I don'...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank titi4103
lvans, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Aloha,

Thank you for the review and for sharing this special moment with us. We wish you continued good fortune and we will share all of your comments with our team.

Indian Rocks Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

I'm frankly surprised that this hotel hasn't gotten all wonderful ratings. We had an incredible experience here and everyone was extremely accomodating.

ROOM: We were first put in a room that had two twin beds even though we requested a king. It ended up having issues with the A/C as well (even though it's Hawaii, it felt a little stifling without the air). They had no problem moving us that evening and we were put in another partial ocean view room. This one had a king size bed and we were picked up by the bellman and escorted over. The room was exactly what we hoped for. Spacious and almost felt more like a suite with the amount of room.

LOCATION: This was our first time actually doing more than a day trip on Oahu. We wanted to be in the heart of Waikiki since we were renting a car and knew we'd be driving all around the island. We were right across the street from the famous Waikiki Beach and had any shopping and restaurant venue at our fingertips. This is a great place to stay if you're looking to be in the heart of it all, but still feel relaxed once you're at the hotel. It's huge.

POOL: The pool felt a bit small but really didn't matter to us. We were there for the Pacific, not for the hotel pool! They were extremely accommodating not only offering up towels, but also proving us with beach chairs! I have to say that's the first hotel that has done that. We could easily put them in the car and took them to any beach we wanted to go to on any day.

We would definitely go back. Beware that parking (just like everywhere seemingly in Hawaiian hotels) is expensive. Self-park was $30 and valet was only $5 more, so we opted for valet. We self parked when we first arrived which was a beating. The parking garage is a funnel nightmare and really doesn't feel safe with it being so narrow. The valets whip in and out of there so valet was a dream. Being able to call down and have the car ready for us was perfect.

FOOD: We had a dinner at Japengo included in our package. We were shocked how amazing that dinner was and actually brought it up multiple times on the trip. Incredible sushi and Pacific Rim cuisine. Breakfast was actually wonderful and was served in one of the restaurants that also had a balcony that was more like a rooftop with fabulous views of Waikiki. Incredible service and I'm not typically a buffet fan, but this was probably the best one we ever had.

I would highly recommend and go back!

Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

we had a 8 night stay at the hyatt from the 26-5-2013 to the 3rd-6-2013..for the first 2 nights we stayed on the 25 floor right next to the lift and never had any trouble with noise from the lift they are very fast......we had beautiful city views..but because it wasnt the room we had booked, so we changed rooms from our 3rd night onwards to a twin shared with 2 double beds ...and OMG the new room was on the 36th floor and was just what we asked for and had city and ocean views ''beautiful ''couldnt believe the views the ocean looked beautiful during the day and the city views of a night when looking towards the mountains and the houses all had their lights on just looked like lava flowing down the mountain...could not have obtained a better room with views....the staff were all friendly and helpful...rooms were spotless and breakfast was perfect..couldnt ask for anything better...location was great....i would stay there everytime....mahalo hyatt regency.....

Room Tip: get a higher floor room...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank traceyh1958
Aloha and Mahalo to you as well.

We are glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that in the end you got the perfect room. We are thankful for your comments and will share them with our team.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is absolutely wonderful I travel alot for work and have been all over the world and have received the best service here by far and James the manager definitely helped make mine and my wife's visit very enjoyable!

• Stayed June 2013
Aloha,

Thank you for review. We are happy to read that you had such an enjoyable visit and were pleased with the services. We have already shared you remarks with James and his supervisor. We hope to see you again in the future.

Mahalo,