“Tremendous Service”

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa
Ranked #23 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I have been coming to Honolulu a lot for business lately, and will only now stay at this Hyatt. The staff is so helpful and pleasant, and you really do feel like you are being treated specially. Special recognition to Andy at the Platinum/Diamond check in desk....he is easily the most accommodating person I have met at any hotel in a long time, and I am on the road almost every week.

I do try to manager to squeeze in some fun, and they are right across the street from the beach. They provide the best courtesy use beach chairs too. The food and shopping in the hotel is great too.

I will be back there again soon for two more trips, including one for a week plus stay.

Bryan

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
lvans, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Aloha,

Thank you for the review. We are pleased and honored to have you stay with us so often. We have shared all of your kind comments with our staff, including Andy. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa

Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki for 9 days recently for our 10th Anniversary. We were extremely disappointed by most of it. The rooms are old, dated and dirty not something you would think of for a Hyatt and the cost. We had booked early and requested a room on a higher floor and when we checked in they placed us on the lowest floor with rooms, right over the Shor restaurant (which opens at 5:30am and the waiters are even earlier to set up. To make it worse the place where all the dirty dishes gets dealt with was right under our window so it was extremely noisy at 5am!) When we asked to be moved all they told us was that they were full so nothing they could do (You would think booking early you would get what you requested).
The most disappointed thing was the so called "Aloha Fridays" they raved about online and on the brochure in the hotel. DO NOT plan your Fridays around this event. It happened our Anniversary was on a Friday so when we were planning our holiday we didn't book any excursion on Friday so we could partake of the Aloha Friday event which says there are hula dancer, Fire dancers, crowed participation and music from 4:30pm-6pm. We saw from our room that the musicians were setting up at about 3pm. Then it started to rain a bit and they packed up (It had stopped raining about 5 mins later). When my husband called the front desk to see where they had moved to they said they cancelled the musicians due to the rain. When asked about all the dancers and other entertainment they informed us that they only do music now!! Well that would have been nice to know! We would have done the Polynesian Culture Center on our Anniversary if we would have known that!
The only good thing this hotel has going for it was the central location but with all the other hotels around a person could find a better central location. We will not be going back to the Hyatt.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank JS06
lvans, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We regret that this special time was not a more happy experience for you. We will definitely share the comments regarding the noise from SHOR. It is unfortunate that you did not get the name of the individual with whom you spoke regarding the Aloha Friday performances. As a policy we rarely cancel the event and only when the safety of the performers and guests is at risk because the rain is so heavy. It is rare that we cancel a performance. The hula dancing, fire knife dancer, and all the rest are still a part of our Aloha Friday event. We truly regret the misinformation that you received or any confusion that may have happened on the part of our operator. We will share this post with our team.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Location is fantastic!! The beach is right opposite the hotel, International Market Place is a few metres away, 2 car rental places (Budget and Hertz) are on the 2nd floor of the hotel, ABC store is on the ground floor.

-Re rooms: quite a good size with a balcony. We had an ocean view room and the view was fantastic. The only downfall was that the bathroom and the room itself was very dated and in need of renovation. Everything was very clean but decor was very old fashioned.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank MajaDulic

Aloha,

Thank you for the review. We do regret that you were not satisfied with the room and will share your comments with management. We are glad that overall you did however enjoy your stay. We hope that you will return again in the future.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Hotel basics - two 40 story towers with great views whether you choose Waikiki views of downtown or upgrade to ocean views. Doesn't matter, Waikiki beach is just across the street.

Room - Nice spacious comfortable room. Bed was great, nice and quiet room. Flat screen TV and the room was up to date.

Pool - King size hottub. Pool area has plenty of lounge chairs and there is a quiet area for sun worshipers that can take a quick dip and walk away from the pool action. Cabanas are available with views of Waikiki beach. Try a mango smoothie, best I ever had.

Regency Club - Beautiful comfortable, and relaxing option. Rooftop fire pit and views of Waikiki just across the street. What is so special about this hotel option is the level of service you receive from the very engaging staff. You will receive the best of care and the staff have a lot of insight of Waikiki and will help navigate and enhance your stay if you make inquiry.

Friday evening - On Fridays on the hotels center court atrium a traditional Hawaiian band along with hula dancers and fire display dancer perform which is quite entertaining.

Location - You will not be disappointed. I am all about location, location location. This is the spot. Walk out of the hotel, go left or right and the whole Waikiki experience is wide open to you. Head to your right out of the hotel and you will find the best shopping Waikiki has to offer. All the luxury brands stores wait your arrival.

The hotel itself - Onsite are shopping stores, a variety of restaurants that will satisfy most appetite. If it does not there are an abundance of restaurants nearby.

Spa - I had a facial during my stay, and a guy wanting a quality facial for the price I pay, I found that the facial specialist worked with me and I had the absolutely best experience. I have had previously had facial and ordered off the menu in the past. Learning from my past experiences I can better discuss my needs. This way I am satisfied when all is said and done. I walked away on cloud ten after my great facial.

The staff - I read all the reviews prior to booking and read all the positives and negatives. I have to tell you that I have never experience better quality service from every staff member at this hotel. I did have a problem when I stayed, which was a medical problem that I had, and the staff treated my wife golden as I laid in a hospital bed with my issue. I want to specially give two thumbs up to the hotel front desk Manager Mark, and Andy at the front desk who was tremendously cordial to my spouse during my absence from the hotel.

Just like many travelers who are very discriminating and want a nice experience when they travel, I am probably more focused on how I am treated during my stay at a hotel than I am for looking for every opportunity to vent. For me, people who treat me right makes my vacation special. The staff at the hotel will also make you feel this way. If this is important to you, book the hotel and love it like I did.

Room Tip: Pay for upgrades if you wish. Remember you are right across the street from the world finest beach...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Vanaman56
lvans, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Aloha,

Thank you for such a great review. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed everything we have to offer and we will share your compliments with all of our team. We hope to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

I was in the Hyatt Regency Waikiki for 2 nghts May 4 and 5. I booked through Priceline.
The forst room, 504, was filthy. The bathroom was covered in dust/dirt (I started to take a bath and noticed debris and dirt). I notified the front desk and they made arrangements to change the room. The culprit was a very dirty, filled vent in the bathroom (I told the frotn desk). The next room (507) was smoke stenched (not the hotels fault at all). They moved me to a third room 710, and it had a single bed (we needed 2); and we were moved to 709. 709 was clean, well kept, satisfactory (and had a view).

I would say the Hyatt is Regency Waikiki is pretty worn out, and appears to not be well kept.
For a low rate, I would stay there again, BUT never at a rack rate or on a package.

Room Tip: High floor, away from the noise.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank EMSMAN911

Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and including your room numbers. We have already forwarded this post to our rooms director for follow up. We truly regret that your stay included so many room moves and unsatisfactory conditions. We assure you the rooms team will follow up on the comments you have posted and look at each room you have listed.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

I was staying in the ocean view room. There is balcony & view was great. Easy to accesd to the tram & convient location. You have to across the road to access to the beach. You can accedd to the ABC shops from the ground level & 1st floor next to the swimming pool. Breakfast was great.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank jyjj

Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We are glad that you enjoyed your holiday with us and we hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

We moved from the Hyatt Regency Resort & Spa, Maui to Waikiki. What a change... from tranquility to noise, even though we were on the 33rd floor.
The first thing we noticed the beds. It appeared that they hadn't been changed... A call to housekeeping promptly brought a staff member to the room, who changed the bed linen. She was a delight, but why did we need to call her in the first place?
Then, what was that noise that continued all night? Was it the A/C? No, was it the wind from being reasonably high? Maybe, but why could we hear the street below? It seemed, even though we weren't near the lift shafts, that the noise of the lifts was coming through the structure of the building... not just the noise of the cars, it seemed to include the noise of the motors, especially in the bath/dressing area. We thought we wouldn't bother the staff trying to change rooms as it was 'background noise', but was constant all night for the duration of our stay.
The toilet/bath/shower was similar to that at the Hyatt Regency in Maui, however in Waikiki it seemed older and rusty.
Breakfast was well organized, although it didn't seem to live up to breakfast at the Hyatt Regency in Maui. The view of the Waikiki beach was sort after by all breakfasting guests! This is one way of highlighting the great location of the Hyatt Regency Waikiki.

• Stayed: May 2013
4  Thank Fazduck
lvans, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and for your dedication to the Hyatt brand. We regret you were not more pleased with your stay with us. The ambiance and hence the overall holiday one experiences at Waikiki and in Maui are different. Waikiki is a more cosmopolitan area offering shopping, restaurants and beach activities all day long. While our desire is that every guest enjoys their visit we also realize that the more subdued island of Maui may be preferred by some. We will share all of your room comments with our rooms manager for follow up regarding the cleanliness and wind noise. We value your feedback and thank you again for taking the time to share it with us.