“Great Location, Great Service”

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa
Ranked #25 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Just got back from 6 nights at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki. After reading reviews on Tripadvisor about this hotel, I wasn't expecting such nice rooms. They are not ultra modern, but quite tastefully decorated, very clean and our ocean view, 2 double room on the 25th floor was quite large. The location is excellent - directly across the street from Waikiki Beach and amongst great shopping. There was also a good variety of reasonably priced shops and boutiques on the first two floors for any necessities or last minute shopping. Breakfast was included in our package with "My Holiday Centre" and there was a good variety of food to choose from. If we arrived quite early (before 7.00 am) there was no queue, but when we arrived later, the queue was very long, but we never waited more than 10-15 minutes to be seated. I would definately stay here again.

Room Tip: Next time I would try the south side or mountain view rooms - they might be a bit quieter,
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank luvatrip08
lvans, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Aloha,

Thank you for the feedback. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay. We have instituted a new breakfast hour beginning at 5:30 a.m. and we have added an express take out and buffet to go menu offers to help guests get to their daily activities as soon as possible. We hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Mahalo

Write a ReviewReviews (5,692)

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Having just returned after spending 7 nights I have nothing but praise for this hotel. We checked in 10am on Saturday 2nd and fully expected to have to wait for our room. Chris advised that our room was not ready but he could check to see if others were available - he found us an amazing room on the 33rd floor overlooking the ocean. (We had booked for a mountain view room- a fabulous upgrade!)
Breakfast was included in our booking and the staff there were amazing. On our second morning we were greeted by name.
Exceptional staff, fantastic location and an amazing stay.

Room Tip: Ocean view, higher up and away from the lifts
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank LeonieT1956

Aloha,

Thank you for the review. From reading all your kind remarks we will assume the one star rating was an operational error and not the actual rating you intended. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Was a great Location, we arrived quite late nearly midnight and booked in when we got to our room we had two "double beds" more like king singles to me when we did ask for a king bed as it was our wedding anniversary :) and we also paid for an ocean view and got a partial view. I did ring as soon as we got into our room and noticed these mistakes, we were told there were no more rooms and go down in the morning if we were still unhappy with the room. We did go down the next morning and explained what happened had our paperwork with us to show that we did indeed pay for a ocean view room. They did offer to move us this day but we would have no balcony so we stayed in that room and were then moved to their private rooms. We were happy with that room great view, rooms were clean. Go to breakfast early always a line up

Room Tip: Try not to getva room near an elevator, they are so noisy. Get to breakfast early otherwise the line...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Aloha,

Thank you for the review. We regret that your special occasion was not more enjoyable. We will share your room assignment comments with our front desk staff. On another note, we are able to say that we have begun a new earlier breakfast hour with an option of buffet to go and express take-out for guests not wanting to wait for tables. We thank you again for taking the time to review your stay.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We recently spent 5 nights here. Upon check in we received an upgrade to a deluxe ocean view room which was very nice. The staff were all very friendly and helpful especially those in the breakfast buffet. The location is fantastic, straight across from the beach, the trolley stops and many restaurants. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Agree with many previous comments, try to avoid the rooms close to the elevator, they would be quite...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Aloha,

Thank you for the great review. We hope that you will visit us again in the future.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Worth the extra for ocean view or partial ocean view. I watched the surfers from my partial ocean view room and the Hawaiian Festival parade and fireworks. A spectacular view to enjoy while having your morning coffee or evening night cap from a very private balcony. The rooms are spacious and clean. Service from check-in to check-out, house cleaning, pool bar and restaurants, was friendly and accommodating. Across the road from the beach and centrally located near shops and restaurants.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Aloha,

Thank you for the review. We are pleased to read that you had such an enjoyable vacation. We hope to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

RT airfare on Delta to Honolulu was $500 from NYC. Hyatt Regency was beautiful and the restaurants at the hotel were excellent (not cheap but excellent), Everything is within walking distance and the weather was beautiful (Feb. 28--March 2).
Good Bar: Hula's (across from the zoo) has an all day happy hour with $5 Mai Tai and great
snak food (sliders, etc). From my NYC perspective, everything was relatively cheap.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Aloha,

Thank you for the review. We are pleased to read that you had such an enjoyable visit. We hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was my 11th time to Hawaii in my fifth with my family we have four children ranging in ages from 6 to 21. I always enjoy staying at Hyatt Regency. First their standards are always very high. A few notes about this hotel. Number one it's very old and is basically build over a mall. It is a wonderful location for going to Waikiki Beach and the statue of Duke is right across the street as well as its proximity to great restaurants is wonderful. The best deal for food is in their poolside bar and Grill at happy hour absolutely the best deal on excellent food on the island. The staff was very helpful especially the management team. If you're looking for very touristy, overpriced shops the shopping is wonderful as well.
Now that I said that let me just say I was very angry with this hotel. When we arrived we found out that the parking structure was being renovated and then I would have to park FOUR city blocks away from the hotel and walk back to the hotel. I asked if they could at least provide shuttle service I was told by the valet that that was not provided. I complained to the management and miraculously a parking shuttle appeared a few days later. It's not so bad walking through Waikiki because you're in paradise but this is a downtown atmosphere in the city I did not feel safe with my wife or my children walking by themselves. Needless to say at the end of the 14 day stay this becomes very very maddening. Next the rooms my wife and I were put in first was not what we ordered. It was facing the city and so I did not even spend one night there they moved me to another room after arguing with the front desk for over an hour. The new rooms view was partial ocean and very nice however I went to bed that night and the rattling pipes in the wall were so loud that my wife and I barely got two hours of sleep. I complained to the management at the front desk they said that I was the only customer to ever complain of the loud noises in the walls rattling pipes I called it. I spent two more sleepless nights in that room trying to pretend like it was not happening until I went out of my mind and call the front desk and demanded new room. I was told by a new manager but that room was going to be renovated this summer and they moved me to a much better oceanfront room. I must say the new room was beautiful with a great view however it does seem that the road noise on the strip in Waikiki is just simply noisy not much you can do about that but hey you're in Hawaii. Also the beds in every room we stayed including my kids rooms had terrible mattresses not typical for any Hyatt hotel I ever stayed in.
If you are traveling with small kids this is an easy hotel because the beach is right across the street they provide beach chairs and towels you can check out from the pool area and return when you're done at the beach that makes it very convenient. If you have the opportunity to book your room with the morning breakfast that is an excellent value. The food was wonderful environment is gorgeous and it's probably the best food for the money in Waikiki. One more note about this hotel if you're planning on seeing the rest of the island make sure you alot plenty of time for travel the traffic in Waikiki is very bad and we found that it typically took us about 20 to 40 minutes to get out of town just to get on with our trip. In summary it's the most disappointed I ever been with a Hyatt and I stay in their hotels about 30 nights a year. The Management team did their best to make us comfortable but the bottom line is this hotel desperately needs a Major renovation. I know the parking situation may not have been there fault but that was an absolute disaster and we should have been notified before we spent our money to stay at the hotel. I will not be going back to this hotel until a full reservation has been completed.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We regret that your visit with us was during the time of the unexpected work we had to do in the parking garage. We assure you we regret the inconvenience you faced and we do appreciate your comments. All of these, including all the kind words about the food, will be shared with our management teams.