“"Fantastic start to our stay"”
Review of Oahu Spot Tours

Oahu Spot Tours
Ranked #13 of 326 Tours in Honolulu
More attraction details
Owner description: I provide private, personalized day tours on the island of Oahu. We would stop at scenic points, historical sites, great places to eat, interesting shops or wherever you might want to go.
West Chicago, Illinois, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“"Fantastic start to our stay"”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

What a wonderful way to start our timein Oahu! We booked a day trip with Ron for our first full day on the island, and we were not dissapointed. From the initial contact with Ron (directly) thru the end of our 6hr tour, my senior parents, sister and I had a fantastic time. Ron picked us up from our hotel in Honolulu and took us to the east side of the island, then up north before winding back to Honolulu. The scenery was fantastic! My parents are older and less mobile than many, but Ron was extremely patient and courteous with hem the whole trip. We visited local woodcarvers, shell shops and ukulele stores (upon my sister's request). Ron's flexibility was an outstanding asset for our trip, but the best part was getting to know Ron and his willingness to share his family's story with us! He was a great listener as well. I would encourage everyone taking a trip to the island to contact Ron and schedule a trip (suggest 5 - 7 hour trip). Even if you have been t Oahu before, getting the right local to show you the sights is priceless!!!!

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Bobby M

New Jersey
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Best tour of our Hawaiian vacation”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I am so glad I do my Trip Advisor research before going on vacation or I would never have stumbled across this gem. It was exactly what we were looking for while visiting Oahu for the first time. I gave Ron a 6-7 hour window to give us the basic circle island tour with highlights. All the great reviews on this site are true. I'll try to add what I think was important from our perspective. We are family of 4 with 2 kids (10 and 12 yrs old, girl and boy).

First, if you're going to spend that much time with someone by yourselves, you can only hope you'll enjoy their company. No issues here. Ron was laid back, funny and knowledgeable. He was great with my kids, and hands down, it was everyone's favorite tour of our 9 day Oahu / Maui vacation.

Next, we thought we got tremendous value for what we paid. I did a lot of research on other tours. We may have spent more (but not that much more) on this private tour than if we had gone with one of the larger tour operators, but we saw so much more. We travelled just the 4 of us with Ron, which meant we could hop in and out of his van easily without the whole unloading process of bigger tours or waiting on others. For that reason, it was almost like getting 2 tours for the price of 1. On our way back, we stopped in Honolulu at the usual sites as well (statue, palace, etc), so that eliminated any thoughts I had on the need to book a Pearl Harbor / Honolulu city tour. We just did Pearl Harbor on our own and saved a ton of money. You can customize the tour if there are specific sites you want to visit, but for beginners, I just let Ron plan the route.

Finally, and most importantly to us, is the flexibility you have with a private tour. Especially with 2 kids in tow, you don't necessarily want to be told to round up and get back on the bus if you're enjoying a moment somewhere. My kids were dying to go into those beautiful blue waters after seeing a few beaches, so we just pulled up at Sunset beach and Ron took my 2 kids for a quick snorkeling jaunt (he supplied the equipment) while we hung out in the sand an took pictures. As a result of that experience, we went snorkeling again later in the week which is something we had not planned to do. Ron was able to just swing his comfortable van over to the side of the road every time we saw something of interest, even if it was 100 yards after our last stop. My kids were having so much fun cracking Macadamian nuts open at one of the stops that we just let them hang out for a few extra minutes doing that. You just can't do that on an organized tour, and it was nice to just let the kids have fun.

I think the best gage of an experience is whether you would do it again, and if you would recommend it to your friends. A definite "yes" on both of those counts. Thanks again Ron. It was a great start to our best vacation ever. I only wish I could have imported you to Maui for a similar experience.

1 Thank guej
Calgary, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Highlight of our Week in Oahu - Hands Down!”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Mahalo Ron - we had a fabulous day with you!
I booked Ron after reading reviews on Tripadvisor. I was travelling with my two sons (age 17 and 20) and two friends of the younger son (both aged 17). I wanted to show them around the island but did not want the hastle of driving. I didn't want them to be bored with a slow moving, strictly followed itinerary with lots of other folks so thought Ron might fit the bill. Well, Ron was exactly what I was hoping for and much, much more.
We started off with breakfast...an amazing little bakery selling hot Malasadas...an amazing little treat and what teenage boy doesn't like great food to start the day with. Off to see some of the typical Oahu sights...the blow hole and Hanauma Bay, Rabbit Island...but then off the beaten track to a spot said to be built by the Mehehune. Here Ron shared Hawaiian legends and info about trees, fruits, farming and all sorts of things. We went to an amazing viewpoint and had an incredible meal at a shrimp farm, then Ron went snorkelling with the boys at Shark's Cove, taking awesome pictures which he emailed to us that night. We ended the day with a look at the north shore beaches, ice cream at the Dole plantation and the amazing look-out high above Honolulu. During the day, Ron shared himself with us, telling us about his family, showing us pictures, teaching us to blow a conch shell, crack a macadamia nut and much, much more. He also played some awesome music while we travelled - it was fantastic. What an absolute pleasure it was spending the day with him.
On our last day on the island at supper I asked the boys what the highlight of the week had been, without having to think about it two of the boys said in unison - "Ron" - to which the other two quickly agreed. At the end of our second week, they were still talking about the day with Ron, and it was decided the best meal in Hawaii was the one at the shrimp farm.
We would definitely recommend Ron - no hesitation!

3 Thank Anne W
Toms River, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“best tour in oahu”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Ira H

My wife and I along with our 5 children ranging in age from 8-21 just returned from a trip to Hawaii where we had the opportunity to visit four different Hawaiian Islands. During this trip we took numerous private tours and I must say that Ron at Oahu Spot Tours provided all of us with the most wonderful and memorable experience of all. Ron's extra large vehicle was the utmost in comfort and his intimate knowledge of the Island gave us tremendous insight into what life in Oahu is all about. He catered to all of our needs and during the 8 hours that we were with him he showed us the true beauty of the place that he calls home. Having many children of his own he certainly understands kids and goes out of his way to make them all truly enjoy the experience. If you are looking for a personal guide to Oahu instead of the big bus tourist trap, I would highly recommend Ron and Oahu Spot Tours

1 Thank Ira H
Melbourne, Australia
“Looking after Aussies”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We visited Oahu in June this year, and pre-booked with Ron before leaving Australia. We had read such great reviews and weren't disappointed. He picked us up from the airport and detoured to show us some sights on the way to our hotel. He took us on a tour of the island and it was a fantastic introduction for first time visitors. We found that Ron was receptive to our interests including our teenage daughter's fascination with local movie locations. We saw many areas which weren't featured in the tourist brochures including a spectacular view of Waikiki from a local lookout not visited by the big tour companies. He was punctual and we felt we gained a real feel for the local culture. We'd have no hesitation in calling on Ron again when we go back, hopefully sometime soon.

Visited June 2012