“Amazing”

Golden Sunrise Photo Tour
Ranked #2 of 335 Tours in Honolulu
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Don't just visit O'ahu, get focused and capture it with O'ahu Photography Tours! Book 2 or more tours directly with us and save 15%. Use discount code "OPTTA" when booking one tour on our website. O'ahu Photography Tours is a great tour for anyone wanting to learn or acquire more experience with outdoor photography. Oahu has an endless amount of beautiful locations to photograph just around the corner. We take our guests on a great adventure in finding the most photogenic locations on the day of your tour. From amazing sunrises to beautiful sunsets we get you to those iconic tropical spots allowing you to try out your artistic side and discover for yourself how fun and spectacular outdoor photography can be. With whatever you happen to be photographing, whether it be waterfalls, monk seals, ancient sites, amazing lookouts, breathtaking rainbows, reflective tide pools, barreling waves, or just the ever amazing rising and setting of the sun, you will be amazed at the photos you get with Oahu Photography Tours.
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Alex is such a wonderfully helpful, and patient person. This young man is a one man business. He has a passion for what he does, and he does it well. I did the sunrise tour with him, and one other person, so I got some much needed one on one guidance from him. I'm most definitely a rookie photographer who loves taking pictures. From our few hours together on the sunrise tour, I can honestly say I take much better pictures. Thanks Alex, I may be calling you again next year.
I would also like to say that there is a little bit of hiking involved. I'm moderately active, and in my early 50's, so if I can do this tour so can you.

There are newer reviews for Oahu Photography Tours

Reviewed April 20, 2012

Aloha...

I love and respect Hawaii and the culture of it's people. I guess that's why I have returned to Oahu many times. I still find things to do that are different, while still enjoying some of the same old same old.

Photography is a passion of mine, so when I found Alex's website, I knew what I had to do. I went on three of Alex's tours and enjoyed them immensely. Mother Nature doesn't always cooperate, but that was alright, I was still in my paradise.

If you have a desire to photograph and experience the beauty of Oahu, a tour or two with Alex should be on your bucket list. Actually, I hope he branches out to the other islands as well...(hint hint).

Alex is very passionate and knowledgeable about photography and the islands, respecting all that he comes across. Oh, did I mention helpful and patient? Yes he is.

Alex, Mahalo!

Debbie from Canada
April 2012

2  Thank DebbiefromCanada03
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I went on a full day tour with Alex from OPT and it was a fantastic time. From the guidance he offered on camera settings to his intimate knowledge of the island, Alex was an excellent guide. I felt like I had gotten my money's worth by 10 am, and I realized I still had five hours of the tour left. If you have the chance, I highly recommend taking one of the tours from Oahu Photography Tours. You won't be sorry.

2  Thank Alan T
Reviewed April 14, 2012

We were the only two booked on the sunrise tour on the day so we received personalised attention from our guide, Alex. The windscreen wipers were in constant use driving over to the Halona Blowhole for our sunrise photos. The sunrise unfortunately wasn’t a spectacular one owing to the heavy clouds but we managed some nice photos anyway. Alex was ready to offer advice on how to use different camera settings to obtain professional looking shots. We moved to various locations but never felt rushed to move on to the next. Having only previously travelled the road from the airport to Waikiki, it was nice to see some more of Oahu. We were even lucky enough to spot a baby monk seal sleeping in bushes and find quite a few whales spouting far out to sea. It was a most enjoyable tour if only for the scenery alone. We were dropped back at our hotel around 11.30 AM and felt like we had already had a full and rewarding day. I highly recommend a tour with Alex!

2  Thank wrenmelb
Reviewed April 7, 2012

This review is long overdue. As a first time visitor to Hawaii, my wife and I signed up for Alex's full day private tour after reading the glowing reviews. We arrived in Oahu immediately following several days of terrible weather and on Alex's suggestion; he moved our tour from 3/14 to 3/15.

The day with Alex was simply extraordinary from the moment he picked us up at 6:00 a.m. until we were dropped off back at our car in the late afternoon. After being on other so-called photo tours in other locations, such as Alaska, with groups of photographers of varying skill levels, too many participants, rigid schedules, and never enough time to actually shoot what I as an individual found intriguing, I was looking forward to a personalized experience and 1 on 1 interaction with a professional guide. Alex did not disappoint.

From the pre-tour contact by email and phone even before we left Michigan to delaying our tour to a day later for better weather, I have to say Alex is both a professional photo guide and a truly dedicated host. This tour would have been worth it even all I had was a point and shoot camera. Alex took us to a variety of great locations, spending as little or as much time as we wanted at each, shared great stories of his experiences and photo tips, as well as exploring places on the island we never would have thought to go on or own. Whether you are a rank amateur or seasoned professional photographer it really does not get any better than this. Simply put, our favorite day in Oahu was spent with Alex!

Other reviewers have described some of the locations Alex visits which I will not repeat here. Suffice it to say, tell Alex what interests you, don't be afraid to suggest moving on or staying longer at a location, and if taking the all day tour--make sure to have lunch at a shrimp farm near Oahu's north shore. Not just outstanding scenes, but a great lunch as well at Alex's suggestion.

My personal tips to best enjoy the tour:

1. Pack light in terms of equipment. Due to what can only be described as rampant theft throughout Oahu, you do not want to leave photo equipment in the vehicle when venturing out at different locations. My walk-around kit for the day was my Nikon D7000, 10.5mm f/2.8 Fisheye, 10-24mm and 18-200mm zoom lenses. No need for anything longer then 200mm or flash, don't forget your polarizer, tripod for those so inclined, and be sure to have some lens cleaner and lens tissue as spray, mist, rain, or other debris on the front filter or lens element will definitely be an issue.

2. Wear comfortable shoes and bring along sandals, water shoes, crocs, etc., for wet or muddy locations (especially if venturing into the rainforest or waterfall areas). Pick up a pack of baby wipes and bring along a couple of pool towels from your hotel to wipe down yourself or your equipment if things get wet.

3. Bring a pad of paper and pen to jot down your location and especially the suggestions Alex offers on places to visit. The day following our tour we spent several hours at the Ho'Omaluhia Botanical Garden (free admission) that Alex mentioned near Kaneohe--an outstanding example of his knowledge of the island.

4. Schedule your tour early in your stay in Oahu if possible to take full advantage of Alex's location suggestions and even have time to revisit some of his stops at different times of the day or under different lighting/weather conditions.

My wife accompanied me and unlike other photographic events she has attended with me enjoyed every minute. The two photos with this review of Alex and me were shot with her iPhone. Her comments are below:

I joined my husband and Alex on the full day photo tour of Oahu. As a non-photographer, I was looking forward to enjoying the trip for sightseeing only. The tour proved to be worth every penny! I greatly enjoyed the wide variety of places we visited: rocky beaches, majestic overlooks, mountain views, rain forest trails, a smooth waterfall, a quaint general store, shrimp stand for lunch and young surfers demonstrating their skill. Alex is a knowledgeable and personable guide; it was great fun to learn about the island from him.

6  Thank Herb-MI