“Lucky locals who live nearby!”

Uncle Clay's House of Pure Aloha
Ranked #1 of 108 Dessert in Honolulu
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Families with children
Description: HOPA is a Hawaiian treat shop best known for its all-natural, homemade, real fruit shave ice served with Pure Aloha daily. At the House, there are no strangers, only 'ohana yet to be met. Through the House of Pure Aloha, we aim to accomplish our true mission of "inspiring a movement of Pure Aloha one person, one relationship, one community at a time".
Reviewed February 7, 2014

As we had a rental car, seeking out Uncle Clay's was on our list of places to try and we were so glad we made the effort! The shop is spotlessly clean and the staff extremely friendly and cheerful. Uncle Clay's doesn't offer an enormous range of flavors but you will find something to excite your taste buds! Served with ice-cream the shave ice was amazing. The lovely staff and yummy shave ice ensured that we left Uncle Clay's with smiling faces. Good job, guys! I wish I had a place like this in my neighborhood!

1  Thank flametrees

Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

I had the mango, guava, strawberry flavor with vanilla ice cream I love it so much~!! Best shave ice I've ever tasted~!! Uncle clay is so friendly~!! The most friendly person I've ever met~!! Thank u uncle clay for the delicious shave ice~!! A must visit stall in hawaii~!! ;)

Reviewed January 25, 2014

We decided to stop by Uncle Clay's House of PURE Aloha on the way back to the hotel.

It was a great experience. The owner is very passionate about LIFE. His energy will definitely revitalize you.

And the shaved ice is great too!

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Uncle Clay’s needs to set up shop in the Honolulu airport, so the first and last thing you do on Oahu is eat shave ice. If it wasn’t for TA reviews, we would have never found this place, as it’s located in a rather unassuming strip mall well outside of the Waikiki Beach area. It’s rare that I can say this, but there are a few times when a place exceeds expectations so completely that it needs a 6-star rating. Uncle Clay’s is a 7, both for the shave ice he makes and the aloha spirit that he brings to every customer.

Once you’re inside the shop, you get this vibe that you’re in for something special. If you’ve never had shave ice, you start by choosing a size and your flavor toppings. If you time it right, you can actually see the staff pureeing and straining to make the juices and extracts for bottling, such as mango, lychee, coconut, chocolate, or green tea. It’s all fresh, so they do sometimes run out of flavors. Next, you can also add fruit toppings, such as sliced strawberries or pineapple. Finally, you decide if you want it with ice cream – usually chocolate or vanilla.

The shave ice is the best I’ve ever had, so the first time can be a little challenging to decide on a serving. I would highly recommend the original size, with two complimentary flavors (i.e. mango & pineapple, or chocolate & coconut), and ice cream. Always get the ice cream.

Once you have your creation, sit back, enjoy, and watch Uncle Clay in action. He is such a genuine guy you can’t help but fall under his spell. Be sure to go here early in your trip, which leaves ample time for a second visit. You will want to come back, and it would be a shame if you ran out of vacation days! The location is perfect if you’re returning to the Honolulu area from either Diamond Head or Haunama Bay. We ended up making three trips here in a week – after those two sites and just before heading to the airport for our flight home. Hard to believe until you meet Uncle Clay, but this little shop was one of the highlight moments of our trip.

1  Thank Hootbag
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Stopped by Uncle Clay's for some shaved ice, and ordered a mango/pineapple. It was wonderful, all natural syrups, not the sweet sickening stuff we get on the mainland. The shaved ice is as fine as snow. It was so enjoyable that we went back a second time. This time I ordered a lilikoi/pineapple, and it was just as good as my first one. Wouldn't be able to choose a favorite flavor. Don't expect a great atmosphere as it is in a strip mall, but that didn't ruin our enjoyment of the shaved ice. Dessert as it is meant to be. Refreshing and tasty!