“GREAT SHAVED ICE (with Ice Cream)”

Uncle Clay's House of Pure Aloha
Ranked #1 of 103 Dessert in Honolulu
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Families with children
Description: HOPA is a Hawaiian treat shop best known for its all-natural, homemade, real fruit shave ice served with Pure Aloha daily. At the House, there are no strangers, only 'ohana yet to be met. Through the House of Pure Aloha, we aim to accomplish our true mission of "inspiring a movement of Pure Aloha one person, one relationship, one community at a time".
New Braunfels, Texas
“GREAT SHAVED ICE (with Ice Cream)”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

This place had to be good since lines were out the door !! They don't get in a hurry to make your order, they chat with all the customers as they work, an added touch.

The dishes were great, we had ours with ice cream, a nice touch!!

We had several shaved ices while in Hawaii, this one was one of the best.

2 Thank BJL83

West Palm Beach, Florida
“Once you visit Uncle Clay's you will know PURE ALOHA”
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Before coming to Hawaii I made notes on places to put on my "must do" list from reading reviews, particularly from TripAdvisor. We made a special trip to Uncle Clays after Hanauma Bay because of the reviews. My nephews had tried shaved ice at other places and islands during our visit and considered themselves well versed in the world of "shaved ice". Nothing could have prepared them for their experience here at Uncle Clays House of Pure Aloha. It was unparalleled! OMG WHAT A TREAT!!!! I am a foodie so dining experiences of all types matter to me, from snacks to full course meals. The ingredients were all natural and delicious. If you are in the area be sure to put this on your list. If you are not in the area, make a special trip! You will thank me later. Aloha!

2 Thank S D
Secaucus, New Jersey
“Naturally flavored shaved ice...”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

The shaved ice at Uncle Clay's is comparable to Matsumoto's and Aoki's. I guess being all natural syrup, it's not as sweet and flavorable. At least you don't have the 20 people long lines like Matsumoto's! My 3 kids all enjoyed their shaved ice with toppings fresh fruits, red beans, coconut, chocolate ice cream. The store is located in a shopping center, and is modern and clean. The store manager is the nephew of Uncle Clay and was very friendly.

2 Thank njposh
Toronto
“He's one COOL Uncle...”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I'm surprised I haven't written a review for Uncle Clay's House of Pure Aloha until now. Well I was keeping it a secret but I guess everyone knows about it now.

I found out about Uncle Clay's when I was on a mission to find "da bestest" shaved ice on the island. Uncle Clay's name popped up on several Google searches so I knew I had to give them a try.

Uncle Clay's is located out near the Hawaii Kai area and you will need a car to get there. We've made it a routine pit-stop whenever we're up on the North Shore area and heading back into Honolulu.

You're always greeted warmly the moment you walk into the door by smiling faces behind the counter and that always sets the mood. You almost feel like a local!

Most of the flavors are made from fresh fruit juices and, not surprisingly, are the ones customers always ask for. Who would have thought that kale flavored shaved ice would taste that good?! Healthy you say? Better make mine a large then!!

The first couple times we stopped by the store (yes, it was that good!) we missed meeting the infamous Uncle Clay. We did manage to meet him on our last visit before wrapping up our trip.

Uncle Clay is the personification of the aloha spirit. He is NEVER too busy to stop and chat with his team or greet each and every customer that walks into his store. He feels, well, just like your Uncle Clay, if you had an Uncle Clay that is.

Going back to the shaved ice... Some (most) of the other shaved ice on the island have larger crystals and as a result isn't as smooth, more crunchy like. With Uncle Clay's, it is THE smoothest shaved ice I have ever sunken my grubby, unshaven muzzle into. From the very first spoonful to the last slurp of delicious syrup, Uncle Clay's will have you asking for more.

You won't be disappointed!

Aloha e komo mai!

Aloha!

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Carlton7
“Who would've thought . . .”
Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

a shave ice store in Aina Haina would be such a hit? I grew up with the former mom-and-pop Icee/crack seed/candy store called Doe Fang. My kids (aged 17, 14 and 6) grew up with Doe Fang, with Uncle Clay at the helm. We were saddened when we learned there would be no more afterschool Icees. I questioned whether the business would survive. Well, it appears to be thriving. While we waited for HOPA to open, I took my kids to a well-known shave ice stop in Moiliili/McCully. It was our first visit. It was good, the ice was very light, and so was the syrup -- there wasn't enough. When we went to HOPA, the ice was just as light and fluffy, but the all-natural flavors were so much better. I thought the prices were fairly comparable, considering what I got. The employees make each serving with such care. Yes, it takes a little longer, but they ensure each bowl is packed with flavor. HOPA is a must-try. Uncle Clay and Bronson are so appreciative of everyone's patronage. They'll ask your name and remember it. Heard they're catering now -- good news!

• Visited July 2013