“Great location, clean and friendly!”
Review of Stay Hotel Waikiki

Stay Hotel Waikiki
Ranked #68 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
vancouver
“Great location, clean and friendly!”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

This is the 2nd time I have stayed at this hotel and we love it! It is back one block from the main strip of Kalakaua so no rooms offer an ocean view (maybe just a teeny look) but who needs it for this price? It's affordable and you are just a 30 second walk to the beach. The front staff are very friendly and accommodating. We have stayed in small rooms and also lucked out with a larger room too. If there is one bit of feedback...when we were checking out of the hotel, we were going to arrange a shuttle through one of the coupon books. We were told by the front desk that those companies aren't always reliable (and we had experienced that!) and that they recommended a shuttle company that they use that IS reliable. So a little later we called and asked the front desk to arrange this for us as they had offered to do. We called at 3pm. We were at the hotel waiting...and the shuttle never came. When the front desk called, the shuttle said they were full. It kind of seemed to us that perhaps the front desk didn't call to make the reservation (maybe they forgot)...or if this is just another example of the unreliable shuttle companies in Waikiki. The front desk employee didn't seem to care too much that the shuttle wasn't coming. That was a disappointment for us. However...it was an otherwise wonderful stay! This has become a favorite place of ours when doing Waikiki on a budget. We will be back!

Room Tip: Tends to be a good hotel to book at the last minute for the best rates.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sendmebacktohawaii

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
San Diego, California
Reviewed April 3, 2014

We LOVE the hotel!!! Service was excellent!! Customer service was welcoming, helpful, and couteous!!! the location was great!! literally 1 block from beach!! will only stay here while visting the island!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Richmond, Canada
Reviewed March 26, 2014

So keep in mind this review is quite late.

I travelled to Honolulu March 4 - 9, 2013. Upon arrival to Honolulu & getting to the hotel was a write off. The shuttle that we took to our hotel took about an hour because of the parade that was happening on the main street of Honolulu, keep in mind that we DID NOT make it to our hotel. The driver advised us when he dropped off a few other people at another hotel that it would probably take another hour for us to even get to our hotel. So we decided to get off the shuttle and walk to our hotel.It was a LONG walk. It was hot, I was hungry and I had a headache. These were definitely not a good combination. A word of advice, it is probably better to catch a taxi at the airport rather than take a shuttle as they have many stops depending on the amount of people they have in the shuttle.

As we got to the hotel (finally) to check in, there did not seem to be any issue UNTIL we got to our room. I was NOT pleased with the room we received. It was not a room I had paid for! The room I had paid for had a lanai with a queen size bed. The room was extremely small, bathroom was tiny (could not even fit two people in at the same time) and the closet was not even a closet. The room walls were brick slabs that were painted over with barely any wifi signal because of this. The phone in the room did not even work AND there was not even a lanai. We went with another couple and after seeing their room, I was honestly mortified. Even though their room had two double beds, their room was bigger with a lanai! I was hesitant to book with this hotel because of all the reviews I had read previously. I was honestly worried that the same thing that had happened to another person when I read their review would happen to me... and it did...

Since our phone in our room did not work, I went back down to front desk and complained. I told them it was not a room that I had booked for and requested to change rooms. They told me that they were overbooked and did not have any rooms available for me. I requested to speak with the manager but the manager wasn't available so they advised me to speak with the another person in charge the next day. Unfortunately we were stuck with that room for the night.

The next morning, I went downstairs and spoke with the person that was in charge at the front desk. I had explained my situation and advised that I was not happy. I told her that I was hesitant to book with them at first because of the reviews I had read but decided that I would give it a try despite the reviews. The girl at the front desk told me that have no rooms available but hopefully should have a room available by the afternoon for me but couldn't say for sure. I had to basically wait until the afternoon to find out. After being out for a few hours, I came back and spoke with the front desk again, except this time, I spoke with the manager. They FINALLY had a room for me and told me that it should be ready in a couple of hours once the person in that room checked out and had the room cleaned. Once the room was ready, we moved our belongings to the room they switched us to and wow! what a difference it was!

The room we were placed in had a flat screen TV (not that the other one didn't), a sofa bed, queen size bed, a lanai, a table with two chairs and the room was honestly 2 1/2 times the size of the other room with a bigger bathroom! They even brought up a fridge for us to use. I did not expect them to upgrade us to a room with a sofa bed. At this point I was extremely pleased! I was very happy that the staff was accommodating and understanding. They really went above and beyond to ensure that I was happy.

Once again, another trip to Honolulu is booked for this year for Aug/Sept at the SAME HOTEL. This time I ensured to book a deluxe room with a sofa bed and lanai. Despite what had happened in the beginning of my March 2013 trip, my reason for booking the same hotel is because the manager, Earl and the front desk girl, Jasmine were extremely helpful, friendly and accommodating with my dissatisfaction in the beginning. As I said, I felt like they really went above and beyond to make me happy. They also gave us suggestions on things to do and where to go etc. The customer service they provided was very good. The location of the hotel is good, within great walking distance to the beach, the zoo and many shops on Waikiki! I will definitely write another review once I am back from my trip this year!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Earl N, General Manager at Stay Hotel Waikiki, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Aloha!

Mahalo for sharing your experience with us. I am sorry to hear you had a rough beginning, but am very glad to hear we made it right for you! Thank you for the honor of booking another stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again in August or September! Please say "hi" to me when you get in.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Beware the beautified pictures of this hotel! It's not a hip and modern as it may seem. The staff were friendly and the location was quite perfect for a couple of days of wandering Waikiki. However, our room seemed rundown and the bathroom was ridiculously small. I would call this an "upscale hostel", rather than a hotel. It was fine for a couple of nights, but situated between two apartment buildings, with people who party until 4am every night, it was difficult to get some sleep. Walls are thin and at times we a little unsure about our safety. It wasn't awful, but I wouldn't stay here again. The $10/day amenity fee is a joke - we never once saw the breakfast we were paying for, and the beach toys were for children.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Earl N, General Manager at Stay Hotel Waikiki, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Aloha,

Being just one block from Waikiki Beach is a great asset to us and we are pleased that you enjoyed the short walk to the beach. Our management team has been made aware of the noise concerns with the windows. We are currently looking into window solutions that would improve guest experience with us. We are thrilled to hear the staff was helpful and friendly. I am sorry you did not see our daily continental breakfast. It is located right next to the elevator in our restaurant. Times and a list of our amenities were in your key packet.

Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is in excellent position, straight in the middle of Waikiki.. It is clean, the floor and bathroom cleaned every day,the staff is so nice and friendly... Only negative I can find.. They make you pay 10$ a day for breakfast and Internet plus newspaper, all 3 do not worth it... Internet does not work always in the room... The breakfast is pretty bad.. And the local news paper cost probably 1$ ... Just do not offer this extra if it cost so much .. The hotel would gain in value!!

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Bobbylee70
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Stay Hotel has the location card going on for it as waikiki is a few blocks away.. Not a lot after that.. The windows that they have are like big blinds so the rooms are not insulated from the noise outside... and there is a lot of noise.. mainly from all the other AC units working and the traffic on the road outside.. The shower space is so small it was ridiculous.. on the plus side, they did try to spruce up the room a little with the chair that looks like a giant hand and some nice lights.. also "continental" breakfast is included plus they have a bar in the building that they really sell to you as a place to hangout and eat dinner, etc.. the parking will be $25 and is a tiny space in their basement garage. The elevators shut so quickly that we got hit by the doors multiple times.. For us, the cons way outweigh the pros and for that reason we will never again stay there.. However, if you are on a tight budget, this might work for you.. that said, be ready to shell out about $150 a day including fees, etc.

Room Tip: Higher floors might have less A/C unit noise
2 Thank whatisthebigq
Earl N, General Manager at Stay Hotel Waikiki, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Aloha!

Thank you for taking time to write your review. We are happy to see that you noticed our room improvements and our continental breakfast. The one block proximity of our hotel to the Waikiki Beach is amazing and we are pleased that it was good for you throughout your stay. Our management team has been made aware of the noise concerns with the windows. we are currently looking into window solutions that would enhance our guests time with us. So thank you for taking the time to inform us of your concerns; we truly appreciate it.

Earl

Travelers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed March 8, 2014

For the price the hotel was very good. It was just me and my husband it was great. We came out with my sister and there husband, there hotel was bigger with a pool and stuff but not much nicer than ours

Room Tip: Although there was no pool or fitness center, it was nice. The beach was right out front, and everyt...
1 Thank grace j