“Definitely NOT a "3" star hotel!”
Review of Stay Hotel Waikiki

Stay Hotel Waikiki
Ranked #68 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I fell for the "top secret" room, guaranteed by Travelocity to be "at least a 3 star hotel". This was NOT a 3 star hotel.
Our first room was filthy with dirt, hair, lint, and other various grime along all of the walls and in the bathroom. I requested a new room and they gave my husband and I a room which was cleaner, but the shower faucet didn't shut off completely.
The noise from the street was obnoxious at all hours, day and night. The elevator is outright dangerous, not to mention the slowest elevator I've ever seen. The elevator door shuts on several people a day.
There is an additional "resort fee" of $10/day plus tax which is required. It includes a basic continental breakfast of cold cereal, pastries (some with SPAM), coffee, milk, and pineapple juice.
Their business center consisted of two computers in the lobby with a broken printer.
We requested extra towels each day, which we never received.
Their beach towels are shower towels and "complementary beach equipment" (including snorkeling) is piled in a bin by the front door each day without being sanitized.
Needless to say, we were less than impressed and will not be returning.

• Stayed: September 2013
Earl N, General Manager at Stay Hotel Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2013

Aloha,

Thank you for taking time to write your review. I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your experience with us. Your comments will be shared with our housekeeping manager for review and action. Thank you for sharing this with me. We just enhanced our breakfast to include waffles, eggs and sausages to give everyone more value. I apologize for the towels as we sometimes receive our linen late in the afternoon from our laundry company.

Thank you again for your comments. We all hope you took home some fond memories of your island visit.

There are newer reviews for Stay Hotel Waikiki

Reviewed September 6, 2013

First let just say that I used to work in a hotel for many years so I am definitely empathetic to the hospitality industry however, let's start with the positive first:
The hotel is located in a great location right in the heart of Waikiki, close to the beach and just off the main strip, Kalakaua Ave. Everything you could possibly need is within a short walking distance from the hotel.
Our check-in was rather quick given I had a prepaid reservation through Hotels.com. The room itself was small with a queen size bed, adequate but cozy. Our room had no overhead lights whatsoever. I thought this was a little odd. Instead we had only a floor lamp and a small desk lamp on the dresser as our main source of light during the evening. A bit of an inconvenience as light (overhead) in the hotel room should really be a standard at any hotel establishment. Aside from this, I had requested for a mini refrigerator and was told that they would bring it up the next day. Fair enough, it was in the evening when I requested it although it would seem a rather simple request. Maybe the houseman on duty was on break? Maybe there was limited staff? Who knows. Well the refrigerator doesn't come at all. After speaking with the front desk all they could do was apologize.
I should also mention the remote for the TV in our room was broken. It was incredibly difficult to operate just switching the channels. The buttons weren't registering when trying to change channels.
As we were checking out it was explained that my deposit will be released within 3-5 business days. Typical practice of any hotel however this was not the case here.
I called after the 10th business day, spoke with the hotel staff in regards my deposit and was recited the hotels deposit policy again. I was assured that my deposit would be released within the next few days. It was clear that nobody knew of my situation or really cared for that matter. So I called and attempted to speak with the MOD (Manager on Duty) and was told that he was not available. Sadly, as expected this was the case every time I would call. After leaving several messages I still haven't been refunded my deposit. You would expect at the very least a return phone call. Shameful. This has been an awful experience so far. The main reason I am writing this review is because I believe future guests should be aware of such practices (and possibly what to expect) before booking a reservation at this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Aloha Lee,

Thank you for posting your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I truly apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. We do have limited amounts of refrigerators which we are now in the process of purchasing more to accommodate requests. I will speak to our housekeeping manager regarding your remote control not working, we are to be checking these each day as we service your room. Please contact the hotel with your name and phone number and I will make sure we contact you to straighten out your deposit situation. In all situations such as this, we have to work with both banking institutions to release the hold on deposits. It is not our intent to keep your deposit. I apologize for this and do not blame you for being upset.

Despite the inconveniences, we hope that you were able to take home many fond memories of your hard earned vacation.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

This hotel has a fantastic location! It is one very short block to the beach. The breakfast is great, coffee, danish, toast, cereal, juice and coffee. There is a convienence store on two doors down that has food, wine, liquor etc. The staff was great. Yes the rooms could use a little rereshing, but they were clean, and safe. The is only one elevator and it can be a short wait, but hey, you are on vacation, relax a bit. Over all, a great stay!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Earl N, General Manager at Stay Hotel Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Aloha Tom,

Mahalo (thank you) for sharing your experience with us. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your experience with us and hope to see you here again in the near future.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

the stay was ok the hotel is cute. but they make you pay an extra $20 a day for parking plus $10 a day for something else which sucks big time... but other than that the people are nice the hotel is quiet and the ladies that rent rooms here are freaking gorgeous!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Joe C

Aloha Joe,

Mahalo for writing your review. As a Kama'aina, I am surprised you did not know that every hotel in Waikiki charges for parking. We do post our amenity notices on every booking website and it is also explained at check in. You signed that you acknowledged the fee along with the security deposit on your registration card. I'm sorry you did not see it.

We truly appreciate your Kama'aina business and hope you will visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I booked this through a hotel website and it was one of the cheaper places near Waikiki. You are about a block from the beach so for the price it couldn't be beat. It however feels like a converted apartment block, so the foyer is like the pictures but then once you get into the elevator (which is small) and go down the outdoor hallway to your room, it feels like you're in a grungy apartment complex. The lock on the door seemed flimsy and even though we were on the 4 floor I felt very exposed. The room is tiny and although the decor is as pictured, it's like putting lipstick on a pig - the mattress is thin and uncomfortable, the walls are thin and the bathroom is small and dirty. I don't think it's because they haven't cleaned it, it's just dirty the way old apartment bathrooms get dirty. We stayed 2 nights and had no major issues so if price is your limit, then by all means okay, but if you have the money, I would go elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2013

When we booked a room at this hotel it was the first time that we hadn't read the tripadvisor reviews. And when we got there we really wished we had!
As most of the reviews say, the pictures that they have on their website and on other websites, have nothing to do with reality. We booked it based on these beautiful - deceiving - photos of a bright, spacious, modern, clean room and what we got was a tiny, dirty, dark hole. Not where you expect to stay in Hawaii, a dream-of-a-lifetime place. At first sight seems renovated, with modern furniture, but in reality is abandoned and sleazy. It's dirty and not at all great value for money.
When we saw the room, we ran down immediately and asked if they could move us to another room. We were told that we had to wait for the next day, because at that time they were fully booked. With no other choice we had to sleep in that room for the night.... The soundproofing? Non existent! Zero! Worst sleep ever.
Anyway, the following morning, went down for breakfast. The breakfast buffet was a joke!!! It was a small corner, with some weird looking muffins and a couple of other things. OMG! It was the most pathetic breakfast EVER! Better remove it folks, take it out of your hotel's services!
After that went straight to the front desk and requested another room. The lady said we had to wait till 12.00 to see the only other room available, which was sliiiiiiightly bigger but overall similar to ours. We then asked if we could get a refund in case we'd like to move out and she said yes. That was it. We found a decent hotel a block away with less money!
Terryfing experience, honestly. Just don' t bother, don't waste you time or money here.
The two stars review is only for the great location and for the very helpful staff. Especially for Phyllis, on the front desk, who was very kind and polite.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Maraki_Dimos
Reviewed August 29, 2013

The first day we got in, the shower head was leaking water and the toilet was clogged. The water sprayed over the shower curtain and flooded the bathroom floor. I must say the staff is very nice and they were able to get maintenance to fix the leak and unclog the toilet that night. The room does not have the typical sealed windows so it gets very noisy at night. You will hear buses and garbage trucks, as well as any construction that is going on in the area. I suggest you bring ear plugs if you are staying here. Housekeeping did not clean our room very well on a daily basis. They basically just tidied up the room like make your bed and change the towels. You can tell they do not vacuum, scrub the bathroom, or wipe any tabletops down because I see the same stains and hair on the floor. I also saw a huge roach one day right outside of our room. Some of their sheets/towels/blankets are stained. Breakfast does not consist of any hot food, there is tea/coffee, cereal, toast, or some pastries. There is also no fridge, microwave, or water boiler included in your room, but they do have a hair dryer. They say that they have beach gear available, but their beach gear is 3 beach mats, 2 floaties, and 1 beach chair. They do not have any towels available until 2pm, so I suggest you grab whatever beach gear you need the night before. They also charge you a $10 per day fee for wifi, but their wifi is sooooo slow. There were times when I could not go onto anything on my iPhone. In conclusion, I would not stay here again and do not recommend it, but if you are just looking for a low budget place to sleep for 6 hours that's close to the beach and shopping then it might be ok for you.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family