“Close to beach, friendly”
Review of Stay Hotel Waikiki

Stay Hotel Waikiki
Ranked #69 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Sacramento, California
“Close to beach, friendly”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I am pretty torn about the Stay. The good: Great location right by the beach, many shops, restaurants, int'l market etc, and it's right across the street from the Hyatt which is a pick up location for most tour buses and luau transportation so that's good. The staff was really friendly and gave good directions and tips (add sugar to the poi). They have complimentary beach toys in lobby which is always nice. The bad: the breakfast was very dissapointing, these use to be UH dorms and are set-up up like so, NO REFRIGERATOR, very loud, we asked for additional blankets on the first night and they were out, I mean really a hotel out of blankets? Wi-fi was terrible but they do have computers and printing in the lobby.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Auckland
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 5 x nights and took on board the reviews. It is one block back from the beach, clean and comfortable. Daily breakfast was toast, pastries and very strong coffee. I took my own coffee bags and just had toast. You can get extra fruit from ABC next door and stuff for lunch. I took ear plugs and a night mask. I felt safe. The staff are friendly and accommodating. In fact my stay was so positive, I have changed my accommodation nod coming back for the rest if my stay. Tips: walk to the DFS store and get the 1 day green red and pink trolley pass, then get the blue pass for $10.00 extra. That is your sight seeing taken care for three days. Dinner at Blazing Steaks 2x was cheap and really tasty.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Pohnpei, Federated States of Micronesia
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Got a fantastic secret deal through late rooms type website, arrived at 7am and was going to be leaving at 3am next day, offered to pay extra if I could get a room right away. Nice guy on the desk swapped me out of the room I was meant to be in (8th floor) to fourth floor and I was able to have shower after my long flights and sleep straight away.

I wasn't charged any extra either - just one day amenity fee. The drawback was the room was lower - just above the entrance to the hotel, and faced the road .

Basic Room looks good, clean and bright (had two single beds in mine), but have to agree with others about the poorly fitted louvre windows being the wrong choice for a hotel, they let in all the noise of the people partying and frequent buses that use the road outside. Shower pressure was good for me.

Location is pretty good with all of Waikiki needs in walking distance. elevator is quite a physical beast trying to bite you as others have said. Fire alarm also went off (when I was lathered in the shower of course),

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed July 19, 2013

great staff very friendly! let us use a bottle of sunblock each day we were there great location. box full of beach accessories in lobby that you can use.
continental bfast in morning.bad that check in is not till 4 but they will take your bags and lock them up for you then call you if your room is ready early

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Queens, New York
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The bright side:
- Fairly clean.
- Amenities: internet, computers and printer in the lobby, free movie rental.
- Breakfast. Don’t expect much of it but enough to start the day. Coffee lovers will have to look for the closest coffee shop though, I’m afraid.
- Friendly staff.
- Location.

The dark side:
- Upon arrival, and saying that mine wasn’t ready yet, they tried to give me a shoebox of a room. When I came back to reception asking when the room I had booked was going to be ready they gave me another one, this time of normal size.
- Where those windows? Why on earth would anyone use slatted glass windows? It’s the least energy efficient and soundproof thing ever, which leads to the following point.
- Incredibly noisy. Proper windows would have helped a lot.
- The room key stopped working twice and I had to go back to reception to have it reset.
- I already knew about the resort fee ($10 +tax per night, per guest), but still I find it annoying that you have to pay for it once you check out. If they are going to charge that fee anyway, why not do it at the time of the reservation and be done with it.
- When checking out I was asked whether I had a scooter, which I had not. Apparently, someone had used my room number to park their scooter. Parking is $20+tax a day, not precisely cheap. The manager quickly took that out of my bill, but it didn’t feel very reassuring, so I’ll be checking my bank account just in case.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank quieroperderdevistaa

Travelers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Very misleading. Showed up and was told we couldn't check in until 4 pm. Came in with my wife and 2 year old son. We had a total of 6 bags because we were staying for about a week. Not a single staff member offered to help with anything. Then was told we had to pay $20/night for parking which was never said before and wasn't on their website. And they had no parking available for us. So we had to park at a public garage 2 blocks away. We finally made it to our room and it was less than mediocre. It didnt have any modern amenities that you would find in any average hotel even though they charge a $10/day amenity fee which covered a less than satisfactory continental "breakfast". There was no mini fridge, microwave or even a blow dryer. The balcony was a joke. Elevators were sketchy. If you weren't in the elevator within about 3-5 seconds of it opening the doors closed on you. About the only thing this hotel did right was making it look good on its website. Just an overall poor excuse of a hotel as well as staff

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Stormin20
Earl N, General Manager at Stay Hotel Waikiki, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Aloha,

Thank you for taking time to write your review. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your experience with us. Please allow me to share some common practices in Waikiki. Check in time to most hotels is at 3pm - 4pm. Parking is at a premium and is very limited at most small properties and prices in the area range from $20 - $28 per day. I do apologize that you had to park in another lot a few blocks away. The amenity fee is for the use of unlimited DVD movies, continental breakfast, daily newspaper, use of our media center, use of beach chairs and mats, wi-fi access anywhere in the Honolulu district and $5 off any food item in the restaurant. We are working on providing all rooms with refrigerators in the near future.

Although you did not enjoy your experience, we hope that you were able to take home many fond memories of our beautiful island.

With Warmest Aloha,

Earl T. Nakachi
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed July 6, 2013

convienent and affordable. Great location in Waikiki. Does not look like website pics but if a place to stay at a cheap price is all you're looking for then this place is it. Parking is a nightmare if lot is full. Nearest parking is 2 blocks away and cost $20 for 24 hours.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple