“Perfect location so close to the beach and everything”
Review of Stay Hotel Waikiki

Stay Hotel Waikiki
Ranked #68 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Phoenix, Arizona
“Perfect location so close to the beach and everything”
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Stay hotel is a perfect location on Waikiki. It is only 1/2 a block from the beach. The hotel rate is very reasonable compare to other hotels in Waikiki. The housekeeper cleans the room daily and replaces your towel and bathroom needs. The hotel staff at the reception desk are friendly, helpful and they are willing to answer your questions. This is a newly renovated hotel so the rooms are clean and the furnitures are new. They even have a flat screen tv, playstation and an ipod dock . The hotel has washer and dryer which is so convenient. They provide beach towels, and beach accessories for the hotel guests to use for free. Overall, the hotel is a great value for your money on an excellent location in Waikiki.

Room Tip: Cleanliness, value, convenience to the transportation and stores and close to the Waikiki beach. Tr...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Theresa S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Reviewed June 23, 2012

This hotel was perfect for what I needed. I was in town for only a couple of days. I picked this hotel based on the reviews stating that the staff was great. My experience with the staff was the best I have ever experienced. They were friendly and truly interested in me as a person. I had an unusual circumstance with my flight departure and the staff was helpful in figuring out a plan that would make my stay as easy as possible.
The room was comfortable and I enjoyed the brightness of it. I will be returning to the hotel the next time I am in town and would recommend this hotel to my friends as well.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Kaipo12
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I love this hotel:

+the service is excellent
+rooms are tidy
+staff is super friendly.
+overall state of the hotel is quite nice
+i was able to change the reservation so that i left a couple of days early with just one day notice and they didn't charge me any extra.

-breakfast served in the lobby from paper plates and cups and It was basically just toast and some pastries.
-quite noisy: the walls are thin and the windows basically let all the noise thru. You don't here much noise from the other rooms, but if you have a room with the window on the corridor side you'll hear the people going pass so well.

Only thing that bothered me was the noise, but i'm a heavy sleeper so it didn't bother me that much.

Room Tip: Rooms non-hallway side and high are the best ones. since the windows are so thin.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank majjj
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 12, 2012

The bad...
*Since we had a rental car we had to purchase a space within the tiny garage for a $15 per night fee, as there was no other parking option. Luckily we got the last spot. That fee was on top of the
**Our room had a balcony overlooking the apartment building directly next door. We had a running joke that there wasn't just 1 morning each week the garbage was picked up, it was every morning, as even though we were on the 5th floor, we could still hear everything from the street through the jalousie windows!
***The elevator needs to be replaced. It broke down twice while we were there. It's not cool when you have to climb the stairs twice in 1 morning & then attempt to surf. Admittedly the staff acknowledges this problem, but seems resigned that nothing will change any time soon.
****A duplicated $10 a night amenity fee that, even though it was included with our original pre-paid purchase price, was still tacked on at the end of our stay. Essentially making it $20 per day.

The good...
*This hotel is basic, clean, reasonably priced option about 2 blocks from the ocean. We stayed here for part of our stay on Oahu and choose this hotel as we knew we would not be spending much time in our room & more time exploring the island.
**Free beach accessories to "steal" for a day: mats, inflatables and boogie boards.
***Newer Ikea furnishings within cosmetically freshened rooms. iHome docs for alarm clocks.

Room Tip: Get a top floor room to contain the noise, just be ready to climb the stairs when the elevator inevi...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Babsiepoodles

Travelers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

Palo Alto, California
Reviewed June 12, 2012

We booked the “Deluxe Queen with Sofa bed” for 4 nights. We arrived 5 mins after the check-in time to make sure that we were there early in case we had a “chance” to request for a room with lanai. Unfortunately, we didn’t have that “chance”. I was greeted by “Char”. After I told her my last name, she told me that my room had a problem about electricity (didn’t call us beforehand at all?!?). She relocated us to Aston Waikiki Beachside Hotel and booked “Partial Ocean View” room (with “breakfast”) for us. We were so tired from the flight and my husband was standing by in our rental car since the hotel parking was full, so I said “okay”. We found out when we arrived in the new hotel that we had a “Moderate Hotel Room” with balcony but no ocean-view at all, and there is no breakfast!!!!!! I called “Char ”and she said that the “Moderate Hotel Room” that she booked for us was “Bigger” than the “Deluxe Queen with Sofabed” room at Say Hotel Waikiki!?!?!?!?! She also said all the rooms at Stay Hotel didn’t have ocean-view neither. No mention anything about breakfast!!! I was so upset about this unprofessional big liar. But again, we were so tired and not in the situation that we were ready to fight for our right. We hate the fact that Stay Hotel didn’t try to contact us before we arrived. The hotel staff intentionally gave me the incorrect information and just wanted us to go away! So “STAY-AWAY” from STAY (AWAY) Hotel Waikiki, if you don’t want to have a bad experience like us!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Cat J
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 11, 2012

The hotel is close to the beach and the room has funky decor. Definately will come back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Melbgirl2012
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Went for a quick budget getaway to Hawaii with a friend and found this gem of a hotel. It is a newly renovated building, not fancy, but done nicely. Everything is new and modern, great decor. You can tell the building is old here and there, but this is what is to be expected with budget and the area.

The location is absolutely perfect. Short walk to everywhere in the area and close to bus stops for getting to further areas. A little over a block to Waikiki Beach, right across from the Hyatt.

The staff was amazing and always helpful! They were so personable and always willing to help! Even the cleaning staff was sure to always smile and help in any way.

The lobby of the hotel is a nice area to relax between outings or in the morning. This is where breakfast is served (assortment of pastries, breads, juices). Plenty of plush, new sofas, canopy chairs and TV. They also have a business area for guest use, a collection of beach accessories (chairs, mats, floaties) and free DVD/video game rentals! All of this and wi-fi is included in the $10/day additional fee.

The room was great, everything we needed. Very clean, awesome new decor and a balcony with table and chairs. There was a flat-screen TV and iPod docking station. We had bunk beds and they were very comfortable. The bathroom was quite small, and there wasn't much light in the shower. However, it was clean and served its purpose. We never had the noise issues others have described, but we were on a high floor.

Keep in mind, this is a budget-oriented place. There is no restaurant (although they are in the process of adding one) and no pool. You are not going to get luxury, but you are also paying an amazing price for being right in Waikiki. I would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends