“Affordable, Clean & Friendly & CLOSE to surf!”
Review of Stay Hotel Waikiki

Stay Hotel Waikiki
Ranked #67 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed May 9, 2012

We got a room here last minute for a surf getaway. The hotel is like a block from the waikiki surf and it was excellent. we would definitely recommend it. Spartan room, but worked perfect for our needs. Very clean!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jane i

Reviewed May 3, 2012

A little background - the purpose of my trip was a 2-day stop on Oahu to see a house that I wanted to buy. Since I didn't have the wife and kid and would be busy all day, I opted for the cheapest hotel I could find in Waikiki that had decent reviews on TripAdvisor. Stay Waikiki had an Expedia deal for a $90 a night room with bunk beds, so I went with them. A couple issues I had:

1) parking - there is VERY limited parking available at the hotel, and the staff said that there was $8/night parking available at the adjacent building. The actual price for parking had changed to $20/night unbeknownst to the staff, so I had to correct them.

2) room - I've stayed in some cramped rooms before, but this was one of the smallest I had ever seen. The bunk bed was also very cheap, like used dorm furniture.

3) fees - there is some kind of $10/night fee for. . . I don't know what. I noticed a warning for it after I booked the Expedia deal, so I think Stay should just put it in the base price of the room

4) loud - the walls aren't well insulated and this is one of the noisiest parts of Waikiki due to buses and service trucks pulling in behind the Waikiki Hyatt Regency, so it was pretty noisy all night

Otherwise the hotel was fine and served its purpose of giving me a place to crash. The room was very clean its VERY close to EVERYTHING in Waikiki, so you won't be at a loss for places to eat or things to do. I would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling with friends on a budget and relying on public transportation. I would not recommend this to anyone travelling with a family or looking for a romantic getaway.

Room Tip: the higher the better to get away from the street level noise
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Peter P
Reviewed April 25, 2012

I was a bit skeptical when I was first looking at this hotel because of the small rooms and the no pool aspect. But I was really happy with the experience. The hotel is cheap, which is great, the location is great (1 block from the beach and right in the middle of all the awesomeness that Waikiki has to offer). My hubs and I figured what did the hotel we stay at matter since we didn't plan on being in the hotel anyways. We actually ended up staying in more than we thought! The windows are these frosted glass panes that you can control to open or close. It gave the room a feel like we were in Thailand or Indonesia or something. The room was small, sure, but totally livable and I like the modern colors. And best of all were the people at the front desk. They were sooooo nice and helpful and trust me we were a pain. They were always smiling and friendly and they are what made this place a place where I would stay again. Aloha!

2  Thank bellaluna12345
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Stay hotel is a great alternative for people traveling to Waikiki, the rooms are recently renovated and are quite large. All necessities are available friendly reception, wifi in the rooms and Stay is situated only 3 minutes from the main beach and shopping street.

On top of that Stays room rates are quite low and incl. breakfast :)

All in all I highly recommend Stay hotel (especially for younger travelers - 35)

Reviewed April 21, 2012

This place is a great value in often-overpriced Waikiki. The pros outweigh the few cons about this property and I will likely return again.
Pros:
Value - My partner and I like to travel on a budget but we don't want to stay in a dump! After a prior poor experience staying at an older resort-style hotel during our last trip to Honolulu, we were looking for a more positive experience and better value for our money this time around. This place fit the bill - affordable, fresh, clean, and comfortable.
Concept - I am a little tired of resorts in Honolulu. They're nice if well executed but often fall short. What I love about Stay Waikiki is that it doesn't try to be a full-featured resort, and this is definitely refreshing.
The location is great - just a block to the beach!
Brand-new, ice-cold A/C units.
New, comfortable furniture - It's obviously from Ikea but I love that.
Friendly, accomodating staff.
$10/day "resort" fee - Many reviewers have mentioned this as a negative aspect of their stay here but I found it to be a good value. The fee covers a lot: it includes a newspaper each day, unlimited use of the hotel's wifi connection and business center, AND as many rental movies as you want (though you may find that newly-released films may already be checked out!). I would suggest, however, that the fee be included in the cost of the room and not as an additional charge tacked on at check-in.

There are a few cons that I have to mention:
Lack of mini-fridge units - In order to get a mini-fridge in your room, you must request one, and there are a limited number of units. I requested a fridge for several days and did not receive one. The hotel should invest in installing mini-fridges in each room.
Noise - This hotel's walls and windows are thin. If you are assigned a room on a lower floor and/or facing Koa Avenue, you will hear nighttime revelers, tour buses, early morning garbage trucks, and more. If you are a light sleeper, try to request a room on a higher floor towards the back of the hotel and plan to bring earphones.This problem could be mitigated somewhat if the hotel installed modern, double-pane windows in the rooms.
Continental Breakfast - The continental breakfast includes just a few types of pastry, wheat toast, fruit punch, and coffee (with powdered creamer). I would have loved to see fresh fruit, a variety of types of juice (rather than just fruit punch), and half and half for the coffee included, especially since we couldn't get a fridge to keep these things in our room ourselves.

My partner and I come to Honolulu once per year and I hope to stay at this property again, especially if the cons I mentioned are sorted out.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Laura W
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Overall this was a quality hotel. I visited Oahu with my wife and we had a great time. The room was tidy and comfortable. We had our own balcony and the hotel was located near Waikiki beach. We only had bunk beds to sleep in, but we also looked for the least expensive option during our stay. We had our own bathroom, the staff was friendly and I would absolutely suggest this place to anyone looking for a great vacation on a smaller budget.

Room Tip: No pool and no restaurant, but the beach is a few minutes away and there are places to eat everywher...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
blanting2, Owner at Stay Hotel Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2012

Aloha, Seth. I am so glad that you had a great visit to Oahu. We're so glad that you chose to share it with us.

We tend to get a lot of comments about our bunk rooms (we only have nine). We offer these rooms as an inexensive alternative to typically-expensive Waikiki guestroom pricing. They are our cheapest accomodation alternative, but we have many larger guestrooms from which to choose.

Let me know the next time you come to Waikiki and I'll get you upgraded to a larger room for the same price. We appreciate the fact that you took the time to write us a nice review. It's the least I can do in return.

Reviewed April 15, 2012

Don't expect too much from this hotel, its a cheaply renovated concrete block apartment. basic double bed, no fridge. Room access via outside balcony.
Staff are very nice

• Stayed: April 2012

It is amazing how many guests comment on the need for refrigerators. We are in the process of adding mini-fridges to all of the rooms at Stay Waikiki that are large enough to accommodate them.

If you come back to Stay Waikiki and your room does NOT have a refrigerator, just ask our front desk and we will bring one up for you at no exrtra charge.