Ways to Experience Aloha Food Tours
from $109.99
More Info
from $138.38
More Info
All reviews oxtail soup spam musubi chinatown tour local hawaiian highly recommend this tour shaved ice poke lanai shoyu stops
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Food was delicious and of an interesting variety. Guide was friendly but did not offer any historical information related to ethnic food we were trying.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

A guy called me 1-2 days before our food tour to let me know he was sick and would need to cancel our food tour. I was disappointed but hopeful he would feel better so I asked for him to give me a call back to reschedule for that same week if he started feeling better. Well, I never got a call and he never refunded the $220 either. I have since made phone calls (left a voicemail) and he has not called me back so I’m kind of at a loss as to what to do now that it’s October and we were supposed to do this tour back in July. I would not book with this company and I really hope they see this review and make it right. I will be leaving this same review everywhere I can.

Reviewed October 4, 2018 via mobile

This tour was cancelled the morning of the tour. You would think that with such a late notice someone would call. I understand that things occur in life but this could have been handled better.

Reviewed July 13, 2018 via mobile

We were dropped off by Lyft at the address shown on the website. It was a sketchy looking parking lot behind the restaurant (Yogurstory). We walked to the front and it was much nicer. We were early so we waited inside for Ryan. He came in told us about himself and asked us about ourselves. He ordered us ubi pancakes with coconut sauce and taro lattes. Everything was so purple. The pancakes looked like they would be very sweet but they were only mildly sweet and light. The taro latte was refreshing. Next we went nextdoor to Asahi Grill for oxtail soup. Ryan explained how it was made and how to eat it. He was very knowledgeable of the food. He explained that the soup was like a Chinese comfort food. The broth was flavorful and the oxtail meat very tender. Next stop was Don Quijote Market, an Asian market with a Spanish name, interesting. The market was huge. They had everything in there. Ryan brought us to the poke bar where he allowed us to pick out 3 kinds of poke with fresh fish instead of previously frozen. He was very accommodating to my wife and daughters who were hesitant about trying raw fish. He got edamame for them. We went outside to some benches while Ryan got some other food for us to try. He brought us some takoyaki (balls with octopus) and steamed buns. The takoyaki were very soft the octopus was chewy (interesting texture). My son and both my daughters tried the octopus. I was impressed. The steam buns had pork and were very soft and delicious. He got one with chicken for my wife because I had told him that she liked chicken (brownie points Ryan ). Our next destination was Iyasume Musubi. Here we had spam musubi and miso butter fish. This was a very small place. The food was a hit. The fish was so light and delicate with a nice flavor. We all devoured our spam musubi. Everyone was stating to get full. We had only one more stop and that was for shaved ice. Ryan explained the difference between Hawaiian shaved iced and snow cones. He also explained how there were different syrups. The place we went to was Cafe Plumeria. We got three orders. Strawberry Cream, Coconut/Mango and Guava/Li Hing. All were delicious and gone in a matter of minutes.

Overall, Ryan was very knowledgeable about the food. Like me he likes to eat and shares his love of food with others. My wife and kids liked him. He was personable and he even emailed us a little review of our tour with pictures that he had taken at every stop. If you like to try places not overrun with tourists, check out Aloha Food tours.

1  Thank j2kdad
Reviewed April 23, 2018 via mobile

We enjoyed ourselves on the walking tour. We ate at 4 lications, should have been 5 but that didn't take away from experience. Poke, spam, oxtail, shaved ice, fish were items sampled. You do get to take leftover back home. Not sure if young kids would like the choices. Good exercise and historical perspective was enlightening. I have been on tours before and i would recommend they add an adult beverage stop as well as end the tour in a local shopping district so that they can benefit from tourist dollars.

Reviewed April 12, 2018 via mobile

Ryan took us to several places where we sampled wonderful oxtail soup with steamed rice, fresh poke in shoyu-sesame oil and another in a spicy sauce, baked black cod in misu. Sweet potato fries with a kahlua pork sandwich on potato bread, really good Musubi roll and much much more, ending in a strawberry/shaved ice with ice cream dessert. You get more food than you can eat, we took some home. Ryan shared some of his knowledge of these foods; very interesting & informative. Highly recommend this tour, you won’t be disappointed and you won’t go away hungry.

Reviewed March 15, 2018

My partner has been involved in the operation of hospitality businesses for over 10 years. We travel frequently and enjoy visiting food establishments of all kinds both on our travels and at home. Ryan who is the owner and tour guide for Aloha Food Tours is nice, but the tour was a disgrace.

We researched this tour online using TripAdvisor and Aloha's website as primary sources. The testimonials were mostly not reflective of our experience, except for the lady who posted on November 16, 2017. Also some of the photos are questionable as we definitely didn't receive what was pictured. Hence we felt the need to share our experience.

In summary, it went downhill after stop 2 and the value for money in terms of food and experience was not there. After calling up all the places, the total cost for my partner and I was no more than USD$50 and the effort from the tour guide did not justify the USD$210 cost of the 2.5 hour tour.

Stop 1 - Poi pancakes from a local restaurant
Stop 2 - Oxtail soup from a local restaurant
Stop 3 - Garlic chicken at a local pub that seemed to be like Ryan's regular drinking hole as he knew most of the patrons and staff. This venue was dirty, filthy and it smelt. This was the moment when we first had suspicions that this tour was amateur, but this could have been overlooked if the rest of the tour was like the first two stops.
Stop 4 - Poke. Ryan bought about a quarter pound (113g) of poke from the local supermarket and we ate it from a container on a bench just outside of the supermarket. This was appalling as we could have gone to a local restaurant to eat poke, but instead, Ryan purchased this from the local supermarket, presumably to keep the costs down.
Stop 5 - Spam musubi to the value of $1.69 each, which I took away but didn't eat.
Stop 6 - Ryan made a substitution for shaved ice-cream. We walked to a gelato distributor that had no shop front. We walked in through the back. There was an old fridge with about 15 small tubs of gelato (5 flavors) to choose from ($2 each). Then we sat at back with the car park as a back drop. I had a couple of spoonfuls and threw the rest out.

This tour has potential, but needs work.

3  Thank atchung
Reviewed February 28, 2018

Ryan did a great job of introducing us to Hawaiian culture and food. We have been on food tours in other cities/countries and this was one of the best. No disappointment.

Reviewed February 3, 2018

Had a wonderful time getting an opportunity to walk around a few blocks of Ala Moana and sampling some of the local eats that you can't really get back home. Every stop had something new and interesting to try, and there wasn't a single thing I tried that I really disliked. Ryan (our guide) was super friendly and knowledgeable and made sure everyone was happy at each stop, and really took a personal touch with each stop. I would strongly suggest bringing a bottle of water and an empty stomach. While almost every stop did offer water or something else to drink, the last two stops did not and I found myself wanting water right at that point. The empty stomach is self explanatory, as I thought I would be famished if I skipped breakfast, but quickly got full by the third stop. Pace yourself and you'll be fine.

1  Thank Torin F
Reviewed February 2, 2018

If you are looking for high end restaurants with wine paring this is not the tour for you. If you want to know how local Hawaiian folks eat go and have fun. Our guide Ryan was well versed in local history and general information, but also was so amusing that it was hard not to have a good time.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction