“Snow in Hawaii, you say?”
Review of Snow Factory

Snow Factory
Ranked #25 of 105 Dessert in Honolulu
Cuisines: American
Neighborhood: Ala Moana - Kakaako
Description: Shave ice-type place but the ice is quite different; much finer and flavored. This is a newish place we found by sampling at a booth at the Rice Fair.
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Snow - shaved ice cream, with mochi in the middle, and you can add unlimited toppings? You've got to try it for yourself. There is something different about eating ice cream like this... my friends and I were split on this, one loved it all, one only liked the mochi, one only liked the ice cream...and I was indifferent about it because I wasn't super hungry to begin with.

There are newer reviews for Snow Factory

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I've never had anything like this before!

"It's not ice cream. It's not shave ice...it's SNOW"

It has a smoother consistency than actual snow. Almost cottony. I had the banana, which I didn't really like. But I also tried the green tea and taro which was SO good. I think I like this more than shave ice! Okay, maybe not.

1  Thank Melanie T
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We were intrigued by the description of this place in our tour book. They advertised it as "not ice cream, not frozen yogurt, and not shaved ice" all of which are true. To me, it tasted like shaved ice MILK---the cheap stuff my parents used to buy when I was a kid because we couldn't afford ice cream. They have a good variety of flavors/toppings displayed on the wall plus there are about 10 crushed toppings like Butterfinger, M&Ms, chocolate chip cookies, etc. that are self-serve and free on the counter. We ordered smalls which could easily be shared by two. The best part was the outer portion with the drizzled toppings; once we were past that, the shaved snow was bland and we had to add some of the free, crushed toppings just to make it more palatable. We threw almost half of it away. Thumbs up or thumbs down? More like thumbs horizontal. Or slightly tipping down...

Reviewed March 24, 2013

You have arrived at dessert heaven as found on Oahu.

Snow is very fine shave ice melts when touched. The ice cream is frozen with the flavors already embedded; these include the conventional ones like chocolate, strawberry, blueberry, and vanilla. But, you are in Hawaii! --- You owe it to yourself to be open and try passion fruit, lychee, honey dew, mango, guava, or other tropical flavors. The toppings range from cookie crumbles to fresh fruit to candy bars to gummy bears and sprinkles. Truly, there is no wrong way to have snow.

Let the mainlanders slobber in envy. You have arrived at a snow emporium, and you will never be the same again.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

My family (wife and two kids, 6 and 8) came here why touring around the island. We had heard about it while planning our trip and decided to give it a try. It really defies description. It's not shave ice, frozen yogurt, or ice cream. It almost starts to evaporate once it hits your mouth. Nevertheless, it was a delicious frozen treat. The flavors are varied and accurate - the chocolate and peanut butter, for example, were spot on. The gentleman behind the counter was friendly and patient in explaining the product and the options.