“Best Shave Ice!”
Review of Waiola Shave Ice

Waiola Shave Ice
Ranked #16 of 108 Dessert in Honolulu
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Worth the walk (or drive) to get this shave ice. Not a tourist spot, mostly locals go here. Try the lilikoi cream with lilikoi. Love this place!

Reviewed September 13, 2013

I have been going to Waiola for a few years because it is convenient after spending a day at the zoo, Kapiolani Park or Waikiki. We have not had much trouble with parking because the lot past the shop is available for Waiola customers.

For me everything is hit or miss... sometimes the servers smile and are nice and sometimes they are not. That doesn't bother me much because I am getting shave ice! LOL

The ice is shaved very fine compared to other places. This is good when it is fluffy and light but if it is compressed too much then it gets a little hard and the syrup can't penetrate into the middle of the mound of ice. My last experience was a nice syrup covered shave ice until I broke through the outer layer...the entire middle was white with no syrup except the 1/2" shell. So using the mix the outside with the inside technique diluted the flavor too much. Other times syrup got much deeper so it was much more enjoyable. It really is hit or miss...

They have a nice range of flavors including sugar-free. There is limited seating outside next to the shop with some tables with umbrellas and some long benches usually in the sun.

1  Thank John T
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Best shave ice on the island! Super fine ice and great syrup flavor/amount! Yum!! Definitely worth a try and if you need a flavor suggestion go for the lilikoi!

Reviewed September 10, 2013

This is without-a-doubt the best shave ice on the island! Get a cup with ice cream at the bottom and try the POG/Pineappe combo! You'll be glad you did!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I'm not sure why so many rave about this place and I'm not sure why my friend recommended this place.But she did and so I went. But I was so disappointed, with the flavor as well as the horrible service.
I ordered the azuki bowl and watermelon. They were ok. They lady who took my order was snippy with her response when I ordered it wrong. Apparently there's a specific way you have to order it.
My bro-in-law liked the watermelon enough to go back a few days later for it.
I wanted to try something different since they had so many flavors. But I wasn't sure what flavors and topping would go well with each other. So I asked. It was a kid this time and he gave me a condescending answer. I settled for a Thai tea flavor. Wasn't good and wasn't enough syrup. Towards the bottom, it was just ice.