“no kidding, it melted super fast” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Waiola Shave Ice

Waiola Shave Ice
Ranked #13 of 98 Dessert in Honolulu
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Drinks, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
New York, NY
“no kidding, it melted super fast”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

Thanks to Google Map, we walked to Waiola after having a big bowl of noodle at Pho Minh Thu - if it weren't for many other reviews' prior warning, we would have thought that we walked the wrong way - it became very residential, but not difficult to find by any mean. The one with red beans was good, would get that again. We also tried the custard bowl with mango and lychee - did not like it very much, way too sweet for our taste. And because it melted super fast, it was like drinking sugar water after a short time =(

A side bonus: a rainbow appeared right in front of us as we sat there eating/drinking our treats.

• Visited May 2013

• Korean first
New York City, New York
“melts fast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

I hate Rachael Ray but let me borrow her saying. YUM-O!

I had the green tea with mochi and it actually tasted like green tea (as opposed to Aoki's on the North Shore) Eat it fast though or else the food coloring from your mochi will melt and make the rest look pretty gross.

Visited September 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“What's the hype?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

Yelp says they open at 7.30 a.m. but they were closed when I got there at 8 a.m. No signs to tell me when they would open again... Instead, I read a sign which gave me a feeling they were food Nazis!
"Instructions on how to order:
1. tell us how many you want
2. tell us if you want a cone or cup
3. do not tell us what flavor you want until we ask you"

Seriously?

I don't get the hype around Waiola shave ice. Sure it's inexpensive compared to most shave ice ($2.25 for a small cup- the regular styrofoam one) and the ice is very fine (a little bit like sorbet once it melts down... but I actually like my ice a little crunchier!), but otherwise, I was not impressed. They don't poke holes for the syrup to collect, the mochi is tasteless and and chewy (yogurtland or pinkberry anytime!), and the people aren't super nice...

Maybe the ice-cream bowls are better? I think they were $4-5 each. I might got back to try the Thai tea and calpico flavors though. Just maybe.

• Visited April 2013
Traverse City, Michigan
“Finest shave ice ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

The shave ice here is almost chiffon like. No one does it like Waiola. A real hole in the wall walkup window 2 blocks from a bus line. In the 15-20 minutes I spent enjoying the ice there was never a break in the customer line, mostly locals.

Visited March 2013
Los Angeles, California
“Shave Ice is Really Smooth”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

I have to admit that Waiola's shave ice is a lot smoother than Matsomoto's ice.
Came here twice and the first time just got shave ice, 2nd time got the works (ice cream, shave ice, rainbow flavors, condensed milk).

We were on the beach on the North Shore and it was super windy. The sand was literally hurting everybody! LOL. So we drove all the way back to the south side and stopped at Waiola Shave Ice before heading back to the hotel.

We parked on the street on the side of the building and sat on the bench outside to enjoy your shave ice when we heard a loud CRASH!! The vending machine on wheels along with the mascot rolled off the curb and onto our rental car!!!! I took photos of our rental car with the damage.

Accidents happen and I won't go into details, but the owner came out and handled it professionally.

Visited May 2012