“It's okay, but not great.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Kuhio Resort

Royal Kuhio Resort
Castro Valley, California
“It's okay, but not great.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

The place was clean and the bed had a "Sleep Number" mattress, so that was nice. The bathroom was small, had to be careful when closing the door, otherwise you would bang your toes. The refrigerator was very noisy and would cycle on for a very long time. Being on the 26th floor, you would think that street noise and emergency / police vehicles wouldn't be heard, but they were. I stayed at another condo across the street a few years back and it was 1000% quieter. The access system to the security doors / gates took a bit of time getting use to / figuring how they worked. It would be helpful if the staff actually showed visitors how to work it. The kitchen was adequate.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sam O

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Beijing
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

We stayed in room 1012, which I believe I found on tripadvisor. I really have mixed feelings about the place. On one hand, it was a good deal. On the other, it was pretty run down.

The main reason we stayed here is that we discovered that most of the hotels we had previously used in Waikiki won't accept more than 4 people. Since our 3rd child was just born, we had to find a condo even though she's just an infant.

This place had some advantages. It was very reasonably priced, the free internet and parking were great (internet worked fine for us, but it was slow), location was very good, the kitchen was nicely stocked, and I really liked the 2 queen beds in the bedroom. A lot of places we looked at only had one bed in the bedroom and you have to use the sleeper sofa for more people. We really saved a lot of money by staying here.

BUT, there were a lot of downsides. When you walk into the Royal Kuhio building you see that the owners have spent zero dollars on the place in the last 30 years. The carpets, design, elevators, everything are falling apart. The condo itself wasn't horrible, but there were two major problems. The first was the road noise. The windows are like venetian blinds and don't fully close. It was pretty noisy at night. The worst problem was the insects though. Little ants and cockroaches were crawling all over the bar the whole time we were there. The furniture in the living room needs to be replaced too. The armchair is falling apart. My guess is that guests put their wet bathing suits or something on the chair, because the arms are nasty, but the rest of the chair isn't in bad shape. It needs to go. The carpets need to be replaced and the unit needs to be re-painted too. The pool is awful too. It's on the 7th floor so it's always too windy to use, and it's full of grit that gets blow in. The gym is from the 70's and I didn't even bother to try it.

If the owner resolves the insect problem and does some refurbishment as suggested above, I'd consider staying here again. Even if we paid more money, it'd still be cheaper than most places. However, I'll probably pay more money to stay somewhere else next time. It's just not worth messing up your whole vacation to have to deal with bugs or nasty furniture. If you have more than 4 people and are on a tight budget, and the owner fixes the place up a little, it could be a decent option.

I can only comment on room 1012. My impression is that the units in the Royal Kuhio vary greatly. I'd recommend getting a review of the actual room you plan to stay in before making any reservation there.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Sheetsofrage

Travelers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

Mt. Calm
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

Room 1012 - This was a cute "little" condo located a block from all the action. If you have more than 4 people (it sleeps 6) choose another condo though. It has one bedroom with 2 queen size (I think) beds and a couch that folds out. The mattresses in the bedroom were comfortable but the mattress on the fold out couch is horrible. Luckily one of the kids slept on it and as most know, kids can sleep on just about anything. There were exactly 4 bath towels, 4 hand towels, and 4 washcloths for 5 people for a week. If you need more you will have to go to the 7th floor and use the pay machines to wash them yourself. There is only seating for 4 at the kitchen counter eating area also. Although it was advertised as having free wireless internet, the internet did not work. You could log on and it would show an excellent signal strength but nothing would load. We tried 2 different tablets and our phones and never got a single thing to load the whole week. Traffic noise wasn't that bad except for motorcycles and police sirens all night long. The TV in the bedroom wouldn't pick up any channels and even though there were instructions to work the TV remotes there were no instructions on how to work the window units. While that may not be a problem for some people if you are used to central air it can be a problem. The pool was closed for 2 of the days we were there for cleaning and painting which upset the kids. The elevators are super slow and you need your room key for everything, even to call the elevator. You can take the elevator to the 7th floor and then use another elevator to go to the parking garage but when you come back from the parking garage you have to ride the elevator to the lobby then take another elevator to your floor. Not a big problem except for the super slow elevators. When we checked in we were given a list of "don'ts" Don't move the furniture or you will be charged $50 to move it back. Don't break or misplace anything in the condo because everything is counted and you will be charged...etc. Check out time is 10AM which I think is too early compared to most places. Even before 10 on check out day the maid was knocking on the door. Overall, this was a good condo. We just had too many people for such a small place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank MCtravler
Puyallup, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

Booked the studio through Vacation Internationale (WorldMark timeshare). The bldg and rooms were clean but dated. I was seriously expecting to see the cast of Threes Company at any moment. The bldg is made up of owners and other timeshares so the experience will be different depending on who you book with. The room we stayed in is perfect for a couple and one small child. For me personally, Waikiki and Honolulu is a bit busy for me. We had our own car and planned lots of excursions and activities away from the immediate area of the hotel/condo.

My biggest complaint was that Vacation Internationale was not forthcoming about Internet access. I needed to have access for my job. We were told free wifi and wifi routers in the room. The routers were $5 a day and they were all gone when we arrived. There is one small workstation you have to pay to use. I was told free wifi in the lobby and I could not find it. When I went into the office, the staff told me "AT&T" After arguing that it was not coming up anywhere they finally confessed that it was the wifi from the McDonalds across the street. Exact words from staff in Vacation Internationale "Lots of people have been able to connect from our lobby. I do" I ended up having to sit in the Starbucks across the street to get work done.

I did spend some time at a bar across the street and the bartender told me that on weekends Kuhio is a noisy and popular crime area. As I was finishing my drink I watched a large police operation and arrest go down as well as lots of prostitution.

If your plan is to be gone during the day and sleep at night this place might work for you. I prefer North Shore so will not be staying here again.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Hollie69
Glenwood
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed two nights here after a Hawaiian cruise. Truthfully I was trying to save a few dollars. Don't make the same mistake I made. We arrived after the office was closed and the guard was unwilling to help. As I booked this room online thru priceline there was some disconnect between the check in procedure. The security guard was unwilling to help and I literally thought I would have to get a room somewhere else. I begged him to look at his list again and he eventually found us. Then we were told to check in with real estate office in the morning for what reason I have no idea. This was a problem as we would be at Pearl Harbor all day. What a logistical mess!!! The room had old furnishings. There was parking included with the room but it was a bit of a hassle to get to and from the car in the lot. There was also an unpleasant odor throughout the building. I could go on and on about this place. I have stayed in a lot of dumps in my life and have not complained too much, but the combination of the dump and the poor attitude of the employees was just too much for me not to post a negative review of the Royal Kuhio. DON'T DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank plyler
Conway, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

We stayed in Unit 2403, which was on the canal side, for a week mid-April, 2013. This was our first time staying in Honolulu so when we booked, we were not sure if we would be renting a car. We rented thru a vacation rental company and saw it offered free parking and wifi, the daily rate seemed good ($90/nite) and the pictures and description seemed like it was a good option. Upon arrival, we were very disappointed. I believe the building is from 1979 and our unit looks like nothing had been changed since then, except for maybe the bedding. The hair dryer only worked on one setting for the first day. After that, you needed to turn it on and off, again on one setting only, by pulling the plug. I did call them, mostly to inform them so I would not be charged for damage, and they did offer to replace it but I felt I could deal with it the way it was for the remainder of the week. Also, first day there we found 4 different remotes by the TV with no instructions. Finally had to call maintenance to figure out how to turn the TV on. We used the air conditioner the first nite but it was noisy and really didn't block out the noise from the street like we thought it would. Room was very boring, everything was either white or off white, curtains were very worn and torn, rug was coming apart at the seems and had some large stains, towel ring came off the wall and I repaired it, only one towel bar in bathroom (I suggested they put a 2nd one over the toilet), nothing to prevent slippling in the tub (I suggested a grab bar, especially for seniors). Little things like a refridgerator handle that wobbled and needed to be tightened, missing caps on the top of a chair, missing laminate on the bottom of a bathroom door, etc. showed this place was not well maintained. Overall, it seemed whoever owned this unit put the bare minimum in there and are just intent on raking in as much money for as long as they can without doing any reno. Don't imagine they have much repeat business. What we originally thought was a good deal for the money, wound up costing $999 for 7 nites which included the $120 exit cleaning fee which was a real joke. Unit barely looked clean when we arrived and some things looked like they had never been cleaned. Next time, I will go for a more expensive hotel room that offers much better amenities. You don't really need parking because the buses that are very close by take you just about anywhere you want to go. Also, we opted to use Go808Express.com to pick us up and return us to the airport for $25 each way for two people rather than the suggested Reliable Shuttle Co. which I heard should be renamed the "Unreliable Shuttle Co." We also found that we really didn't need to use the kitchen. You can get away with a unit that just has a mini-fridge and microwave as there are reasonable places to eat nearby, IHOP for one. Besides...you are on vacation!! Other units in this building may not be as bad and it is in a great location so if these little things don't bother you than this is the unit for you. We will not be repeat customers!!!

Room Tip: If you are just looking for a convenient place to stay and don't care about noise, etc. this is...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank 3543Anne
Eugene, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

Our family stayed for a week. Our 1 bedroom unit faced town and the ocean. It was extremely noisy all night long..lots of sirens...so make sure you take ear plugs. There was a small, noisey ac in the bedroom, but you have to keep patio door open during the night because the rest of the unit becomes so stuffy. The sleeper sofa was very uncomfortable. Unit was very dated, carpet old and dirty, plus we found 2 adult and 2 small roaches on kitchen counter. Had some ants around sink area. Just make sure you empty garbage daily. Rooms on 10th floor and below have no view except cement wall. Sauna did not work and rest room in exercise area was very old. There is a large laundry room, but make sure you have quarters! They actually charge you to use the change machine. Elevators were slow and there was always at least one that was out of order. The lobby is old and the end tables and lamps were very dirty. The one bright spot in an otherwise big, empty, kinda creepy lobby, is the security guard. Not sure what their job is supposed to be, because they just sit there and won't help with anything, but one of them was really sweet and good for some smiles and laughter. You are charged $5 each time you wish to use the lobby computer, and the room phone. There is no visitors center or anything close by, so you have to figure out things completely on your own, which was hard because we had never been there and had not a clue how to begin navigating the island. You can buy a 4 day bus pass for 20 dollars at any ABC store. It's a great buy! Overall, it was the family experience that really was important and we spent very little time in our unit anyway, so it is what it is and that is OK.

Room Tip: Ocean side rooms have beautiful views but are very noisy with street noise. Mountain side has some...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family