“unacceptable rooms”

Royal Kuhio Resort
omgitsbees
“unacceptable rooms”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My room had an A/C unit that didn't work, A/C units (one in bedroom and living room) were way to loud, shower was awful to use and didn't work right, windows do nothing to block out noise, and the elevators were broken some of the time during my one week visit. This place is horrible, and the quality and maintenance is unacceptable when compared to other hotels in the area. Even if it was cheap to stay here, this still would not be worth it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank kyle h

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We found this deal on craigslist since it was a timeshare condo. The price was very very reasonable and for a week's stay for 9 people, it was simply cheaper to get the 3 condos then it was to rent a hotel suite in a known hotel. Since we were 9 people travelling, we needed to keep costs down and even after reading somewhat less then favorable reviews online about the Royal Kuhio, we decided to just go ahead and keep our booking since we couldn't find anything else in Waikiki for this price. Well, let me tell you this: I was BLOWN AWAY and how nice the condo was. It had shutters on all the windows, the carpets were clean and looked brand new. The kitchen was clean and bright. We had more then enough closet space to fit all our clothes and shoes for 4 people. The living space was big enough that when all 9 of us would come together for dinner or lunch, we weren't cramped into a small space. The view we had was fantastic! We had a view of Waikiki Beach. The condo/hotel was close to pretty much everything that we needed. The bonus was the parking was INCLUDED!!!! We saved anywhere between 20-45$ a day in parking since each condo had a parking spot included! We did not have any problems with cockroaches. One of the other condos our family was in had 1 or 2 but they switched rooms for them. The other 2 condos had no issues about that whatsoever and we were the ones cooking and had food out all the time. I found out near the end of our stay that there are 3 different time share companies in the Royal Kuhio and we were with Lifetime in Hawaii on the 22nd floor. I will definately come back to the Royal Kuhio whenever I go back to Honolulu. I loved it there and if ever I know anyone going to Waikiki, I'll tell them to book with Lifetime in Hawaii at the Royal Kuhio.

17 Thank binkybabies
Waikoloa, Hawaii
Reviewed July 30, 2012

After reading the reviews I was disappointed that I had already made a reservation but decided that i would keep an open mind and see for myself. I have traveled to many places and can't say this was the worst place. Considering other big chain hotels in the area are 300 dollars a night plus 20 bucks for parking plus resort fees i figured I can deal with the negatives of the Royal Kuhio.I found my room to be VERY CLEAN BUT,,,,,,,,,,, you will find Bugs (ROACHES) in the past two days we've seen about 6, it's not the end of the world but if you're skived out by them don't stay here. Pool is a big concrete hole with water in it( plain and boring) but you're in Hawaii why go to the pool. Parking is a dizzing drive to the 6 floor but is FREE. You must take one elevator from the garage back to the lobby and then take another elevator to your room(no big deal). Kuhio street is a very busy street with all kinds of bars and a 24 hour Mcdonalds. YES you will hear traffic people whoopping it up after the bars and clubs close and other city noises the rooms have glass Louver windows (which is another flaw) so rooms are not sound proof I was on 9 floor and heard plenty of noise.Keeping the A/C's running helped drown out the noise and both wall A/C units worked well and were probably the newest thing in the room. My room was $105 a night if i had paid any more than that I would have been really upset. Basically you're getting what you pay for.

Pros
Price $100 a night the other major hotels $200+parking +resort fees
Parking Free unheard of in Waikiki
Location: beach is10-15 minute walk away great super market two blocks away and all the trendy stores 5 min walk away

Cons
Them freaking ROACHES I was really hoping not to see them. Can you imagine the commotion my wife and two girls made every time they would see one.
Noise is BAD on the Kuhio street side of building because of the Glass louver windows
Pool sucks tell you the truth I didn't even go to see it i saw it from my balcony and had no desire to.

would I stay there again is a tough question, I guess i would try to find something else first.
It's a shame cause Royal Kuhio isn't really too bad if you know what you're getting yourself into and don't act like you've never seen a roach before.
Have them fumigate and bring along some fabreeze to hide the fumigation smell.

Room Tip: don't stay on Kuhio side of building if you want sleep without any disturbamstance
13 Thank Dingleberies
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Got a good last minute rate. Not much to expect, but again for $75.00 per night what else should I expect. A good place to rest the night. Wasn't planning to stay much in the room during the day. There was no service. If needed room service had to pay. The AC strength was ok. The view wasn't much but shey say a rainbow from the balcony. The location was great right next to everything, in the heart of waikkii. The beach was a few mintes walk but still close enough.

Room Tip: Go Last minute.
2 Thank tshake
Berkeley, California
Reviewed July 20, 2012

The Royal Kuhio is average. I doubt we will stay there again. But if we do, we'll ask for a room on the non-Kuhio Ave. side of the building, and as high up as possible to avoid street noise. If you are not a heavy sleeper, I would avoid any room on the Kuhio side lower than the 17th floor.

The pluses are: 1) the location - Kuhio Ave@Seaside, one block from the heart of all the shopping in Waikiki and close to the beaches, and walking distance to a grocery store; 2) our corner unit had a full refrigerator, an electric stove, microwave, basic pots/pans, cooking utensils, and a lanai (patio); 3) the 4th floor offers: a basic pool, very basic tennis court, pool table, and laundry facilities (the change machine gives you .75 for every dollar), and a couple BBQs; and 4) everyone we encountered, including some full-time residents, were friendly and helpful.

The downsides are: 1) it's very noisy on the Kuhio side of the building. There are at least two nightclubs on the next block of Kuhio, and a 24-hour McDonald's directly across the street. We, in our 11th floor apartment, were awoken every night and numerous times by drunk folks whooping and yelling; 2) the waiting time for the elevators can exceed 15-20 minutes; 3) parking can be awkward. There's one elevator to/from the parking garage to the lobby, and another to/from the lobby to your room. A security key is required to access each elevator.

If you're traveling with a family and need a full kitchen and laundry, and don't mind a basic facility, this could work for you. (In that case, shlepping your groceries in two elevators and the change machine may bother you.)

Our tips if you are on the Kuhio side of the building? Turn on the fans every night. Light sleepers may want earplugs. Don't expect anything more than a basic facility, with a big, but un-inviting pool. Understand that you'll be walking your sand-covered body a few blocks back from the beach.

None of the units our party used (1108, 1901, 1908, and one on the 8th and 9th floors had cockroaches (as reported by another reviewer). Most were basically maintained, with the exception of the couch in 1908 which was a little worn.

Room Tip: Rooms on the Kuhio Ave side are loud. Ask for one on the back side of the building as high up as po...
1 Thank BerkeleyKimm
Roseville, California
Reviewed July 13, 2012

First of all, the hotel is set up so you have to drive up almost to the top of the parking garage to park your vehicle. Then you have to ride all the way down to the lobby on the elevator, walk through the lobby to another set of doors, then go up to your floor on another elevator. The interior is old fashioned looking with very noisy wall air conditioners. The view was of concrete high rises, a rooftop swimming pool with no personality at all and more concrete. The first night I got up to use the bathroom to find a cockroach. The man in the registration office was rude and not helpful at all when it came time to print our boarding passes. You had to call an outside company for consierge help. It basically felt like an apartment building. The only good thing was the location. Starbucks and ABC stores were across the street. It was an easy walk to shopping and the beach.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Rosalind C

Travelers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

NJ
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Building itself is old and poorly maintained. Elevators worked fine, but poorly lit and dirty. Building lobby stank like a sewer and strong cleaning agent used in a public toilet. Room 1610 needs major renovation. Bedroom curtain is ripped and dirty. Carpet is old and rippled. It is a disaster waiting to happen as one can easily trip over it. Electrical outlet face plate is broken with metal case exposed. Not safe around children. Bathroom and beach towels had stains and smell bad (like towel stored away while still damp). Other things - dining area light not working, shower head hose leaked/sprayed water when in use, water stain on ceiling, scuff marks all around the walls. Property manager (Alii Beach Rentals) was responsive and tried to make things better after I reported these problems. New towels were sent and building maintenance tried to arrange to enter the unit to fix stuff. Nice effort, but they should have been more pro-active in making sure the room is in rentable condition. These are not unforeseen problems; they could have been fixed beforehand. Guests should not have to deal with this or waste precious vacation time making or returning calls for them to fix things. Overall, staying at Royal Kuhio and room 1610 was the worst part of my vacation. See pictures.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends