“Disappointed after previous stay”

Aston Waikiki Beach Tower
Ranked #19 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Adelaide, Australia
“Disappointed after previous stay”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Okay, I must have been really spoiled on my first visit to the Aston Beach Tower in 2009. We had booked a "2BR partial ocean view room" and must have been upgraded to a "2BR Premium Ocean View Room" as we were on the 32nd floor with views to die for (Diamond Head to Ala Moana). The furnishings were modern, super luxurious and the whole experience was incredible. So........ when planning my 60th Birthday trip with husband, 2 brothers and 2 sisters-in-law, I recommended we stay at the same property. I booked back in March 2013 - a 2BR Deluxe Ocean View plus a 1BR Deluxe Ocean View and requested the "highest floor possible". One week prior to arriving we were contacted by our Travel Agent to inform us that the hotel would be undergoing renovations on the outside only, which should not cause any disruption to our stay. They stated that the renos "may" mean that we might be in a room without access to our lanai. While I wasn't very happy, it was too late to find an alternative property. However, upon arrival, we were then informed that we would not be able to use either the pool or the jacuzzi during our stay! While the Aston staff insisted that they had notified Wholesalers and Agents of the renovations back in September, we were certainly not advised until November about the renos and certainly not about the closure of the pool. Well, we were already there - what could we do? Then came the disappointment of the rooms! While we had requested (back in March) for a "highest floor possible", we found ourselves on the 12th floor, with a little view of the ocean directly in front of our lanai, but mostly overlooking the rooftops of the buildings on both sides and putting up with the noise of the air conditioners on top of the Pacific Beach Hotel next door. We did however have a great view into the Rooms of the Aston Circle Hotel in front of us! It was entertaining watching what other travellers get up to after dark with lights on and curtains open! The furnishings in both rooms were dated, tired and in need of a good re-furb. Coffee tables, chairs and TV cabinet all needed a coat of varnish, and the TVs were all the old tube-type. Not a flat screen to be seen. Needless to say, after the incredible experience of my first visit in 2009, I was disappointed and embarassed that I had recommended this property so highly to my family. There was no apology from Management, no offer of change of room, and certainly no offer of a partial refund for the inconvenience of no pool. I guess I equate it to paying a premium price for a dozen large free-range eggs, only to discover I'd only been given 10 cage-raised small eggs for the same price! In fact, I feel like I've been ripped off!

Room Tip: If asking for the "highest room possible" is not considered, then I suggest you ensure you...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank pat-shops-a-lot
banyan96815, General Manager at Aston Waikiki Beach Tower, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Aloha!

And MAHALO to these guests for allowing us the opportunity to host them once again. After reading their post I would like to offer my sincerest apologies to them for their experiences with us. We have really tried our very, very best to keep everyone informed about the exterior enhancement project that is going on and sent travel advisories to our travel partners starting in April of this year. As the project moved to the main Tower from the garage, another two advisories were sent to our travel partners in August and November and we also provided information on our website so that we could reach as many of our future guests as possible. I am very, very sorry that these guests did not receive all of the information which included balcony access and the closing of the pool and jetspa for safety reasons.

I also saw there comments about the condition of their units and am happy to share with them that we are planning another unit interior renovation that will include new bedding, LED's where necessary, furnishings, appliances, carpeting and artwork among other planned changes. In reviewing their rooming requests, we reserved two suites that were adjoining and were vacant from the night before to ensure we met their request for an early arrival at 11:15a. I would like to extend my sincerest apologies for not blocking the highest floor possible for these guests however the only request we received was for their early arrival.

I would like thank these guests for staying with us and if I may be of any assistance to them, I sincerely hope they take the opportunity to contact me at the property. Until then, here's wishing them much continued success and a wonderful and joyful Holiday Season!

Aloha!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Korean first
Oracle, Arizona
Reviewed December 12, 2013

The condo was beautiful, and had everything we needed. Was there for business and having to 2 bdrms and 2 baths worked out perfect. The kitchen had all that we needed, like coffee available everyday. There is McDonald's down on the ground floor which convenient at times. All of the staff was wonderful and helpful and always friendly. Washer and dryer was perfect and whenever we needed more detergent they would bring it up to us.
OUTSTANDING VIEW of the ocean and beach, and good, safe swimming.

Room Tip: If you want to do some cooking you might want to bring some of your own supplies, like spices and su...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Ann S
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

The views and relaxation were so great from our 18th floor ocean front lanai that we didn't ever make it across the street to the beach.

The full size condos with a kitchen and in-room washer/dryer is so convenient and the condo is so spacious I could easily see sharing the two-bedroom, two-bath unit with four adults + a few young kids if you wanted to do a joint vacation with family. It was just the two of us on this trip, so they locked off a bedroom/bath for our 1 bedroom reservation - so it felt quite large for just us. The lanai had seating for 4-6 people and a full size table with lounge chairs and wrapped the length of the bedroom through living room.

While recently 'renovated' - the rooms still look like they need fresh paint and new furniture (we had tube TVs!), but were clean and it didn't matter because we were on the lanai most of the time.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank kxv2
Sydney
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We had a family of 6. The location was fantastic as it was opposite the beach and the beach was perfect for families with a small toddler. Parking was free which was perfect for a big group like us. We booked for a partial oceanview 2 bdr and it was ready when we got there by noon. However, as they were doing some construction, they had some plastic covering outside the windows which caused flapping noises throughout the night. We complained the next morning and they upgraded us to a full oceanview 2 bedroom. The new room was given to us as soon as we got back from our activities. The layout of the second condo was a bit weird as the laundry was in the main bathroom so everyone had to go into our bedroom to access the laundry. Housekeeping was good except they came in on one of the days at 11am when we weren't yet ready. Otherwise found all staff to be very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Vicky063
banyan96815, General Manager at Aston Waikiki Beach Tower, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Aloha!

And Mahalo to these guests for staying with us and for taking time to share their experiences with us.

I was really happy to hear that they found our location which is right across the street from Waikiki Beach to be ideal and their suite to be spacious and accommodating for their traveling needs. I did note their comment about the opaque plastic sheeting that was on their bathroom and bedroom windows which was placed there to ensure their privacy while work on the exterior of the building was going on and brought this to the attention of the contractors who will now ensure that any plastic sheeting is well secured. I have also spoken to our housekeepers about entering suites while guests are still there and I would like to extend my sincerest apologies for this occurring. Our ladies normally receive very favorable comments about their service and aloha spirit and this was a good learning experience for them. As for the washer and dryer being in the master bathroom, space is a precious commodity and I'm confident all options were evaluated before a final decision was made on its location. I do hope however that they found the convenience of having the washer and dryer in their suite a plus and hopefully they were able to leave for home with luggage full of clean clothes.

Mahalo once again to these guests for staying with us and I sincerely hope we have the opportunity of hosting them in the future.

Studio City
Reviewed November 7, 2013

For the third year in a row we had the best time ever. The staff was impeccable, friendly and attentive. We couldn't ask for anything better. They took care of us as they always have! We had a beautiful view of Diamond Head and, of course, Waikiki Beach just across the street provided a gorgeous sunset every night. Oh, and did I mention the staff was AWESOME! :) Thanks guys!

Room Tip: Rooms further up are quieter as the hotel to the left has a very loud a/c unit -- so the lower you a...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank starg8r
San Diego
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I recently went on a family vacation to Waikiki and needed a place that could accommodate our family of 6. This hotel was just what we needed! The full kitchen and two bedrooms were perfect for us not to mention the view of Diamond Head and ocean from our balcony.
The staff at the hotel were extremely friendly and accommodating. We never had to wait very long to get our car and always had someone around to attend to our needs. It was also a nice perk to have beach towels and chairs available for us to use. When I go back, I hope to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank Jay J
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed here August 14-21, 2013 and we have no complaints! The location was great because we weren't down in the very crowded shopping district and the beach access was great with actual shoreline which isn't the case for a lot of hotels on the beach. The condo was huge; we were traveling with two teenagers and one used the bedroom and our other teen used the pullout in the living room. We did not use the kitchen to cook but it is nice to be able to store your snacks, drinks and food with full size appliances. We shopped at an ABC and kept snacks, drinks, and other food which saved on restuarant spending in between meals. Having the washer and dryer was great because we were able to wash a few loads of clothes. The hotel replaced detergent each day and they don't charge you. The patio wasn't a little dinky balcony, it is a real patio with full size furniture and fabulous views (I think all,of the units face the ocean). We really didn't need to buy anything for the beach; the hotel gives you towels, umbrellas, or whatever they have in storage you can use and bring back. The hotel itself is not crowded with people (waiting on elevators, etc) and very laid back. The staff was very courteous and friendly. If you are traveling with kids or other family members and don't want to be stepping over your luggage and belongings in a cramped hotel room, it is worth the extra cost to stay in a condo! All in all I would definitely stay here again if I come back to Oahu - no doubt about it!!

Room Tip: We were on the 15th floor and I don't recall any noise or other issues with our floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family