“Expensive but roomy and comfortable”

Hilton Grand Vacations at Hilton Hawaiian Village
Ranked #29 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Pittsburgh
“Expensive but roomy and comfortable”
Reviewed October 10, 2009

Our 2-bedroom condo was great for a family traveling with a grandparent. The bedrooms were large and the living/dining room was huge. Having a full kitchen was a luxury, especially given the high prices for meals at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Access to the washer and dryer was helpful. The balcony was wonderful, but beware of the slide pool with lots of noise during the day. The big slides close at 5 pm, so the evenings were nice and quiet. Although the new tower is upgraded, the Lagoon Tower is well-maintained and we had a nice view of the water. We have stayed at most of the hotel towers at HHV, and this condo was our favorite with the additional space and amenities.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank pittravelers3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
PA
Reviewed October 8, 2009

This place was super highly recommended by all the travel books I read. Great for kids and families, tons to do, lazy river, water slides, great restaurants and activities. Our experience was not so great. The room was beautiful and the grounds impeccable but the staff and the service left a LOT to be desired. Room service food sat out in the halls for hours on end, the valets were no where to be found when you needed your car, the driveway was too crowded and you had to wait a long time to get in to a valet and there were not enough available to park the number of cars coming in and out, the front desk staff was slow to wait on you and did not smile, it required several calls to housekeeping to get laundry detergent for the room, the activities desk did not have schedules for the whole facility and could not arrange your participation you had to walk across the whole complex and sign up in a binder, the activities schedule was VERY limited and limited only to certain days of the week, the food at the restaurants was ridiculously over-priced, the "lazy river" and "water slides" were a joke - very small and uneventful and children under 12 (even proficient swimmers) were required to wear those blow up arm flotation devices which conveniently they sold there by the pool, and there were not nearly enough seats for around the pool - you had to wait hours to get an open chair. I would not recommend a stay there to anyone! We had 6 nights at the Embassy Suites on the Beachwalk prior to switching to the Hilton and after one night at the Hilton we regretted out move! The Embassy was superb in every way!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank prehlk
Southern California
Reviewed October 4, 2009

Just returned from a week long stay at the HHV – Lagoon Tower. We had a 3 bedroom on the Penthouse Floor (24). We were assigned to room 2465. This unit consists of 3 bedrooms and 3 ½ baths. The living, dinning and kitchen were located downstairs. There was a ½ bath located adjacent to the front door. Downstairs by the staircase is a master suite with a balcony facing the Rainbow Tower / Diamond Head. This master suite had a bathroom designed for a disabled person. Upstairs were another master suite along with a third bedroom and bathroom.

There was plenty of room for four adults and one child. It should be noted that the third bedroom was kind of loud due to the fact that it had plantation shutters for “windows”, which allowed for downstairs noise to come in. Also the A/C was strong, but the fan noise was kind of loud.

The unit was clean and nicely decorated. It had all the essentials. There were only a few quirky things such as in the third bedroom, the battery compartment lid on the TV remote was missing. Also, they only give you one tiny bottle of shampoo per bathroom. Granted there is midweek cleaning, however with being at the beach one would need at least two to three of the hotel sized bottles. The washer/dryer were not in the rooms. They are next to the elevators on the even floor rooms. No detergent or softeners were provided. (We brought our own) The directions were in Japanese.

Kitchen appeared to be well stocked with cooking pots and pans. We didn’t cook. We ate out mostly and ate some leftovers in the room.

Check in was smooth. They provided us with wrist bands to get towels and use the pools. One wrist band allows you to get two pool towels. They assessed us $9.23 a day for tax to stay at the HHV. The total for seven days was $64.61. Add $30 a day for valet parking. ($25 / day if you self park) The lagoon pool was great for the kids. They had a toddler water slide, two kids slide (which only one was working) and a larger slide for the big kids and adults. It was hard finding chairs to sit down or put our towels/ items down. It took about 5-10 minutes each time, scoping for a open chair or waiting for someone to leave. One more thing, if your child is under 48 inches, whether they swim or not, they need to have floaters on the arms. They won’t let you go down the mid/lg slide without them. Bring your own or you can pay $5 where you get the towels. The slides close at 5 PM each day.

Valet Parking was hit and miss. Sometimes they were quick, other times they were slow. There didn’t appear to be any rhymn or reason. Most of the time when I returned to the HHV, there was no one to greet me. I had to walk up to the valet desk and tell them I’m returning the car. There was a more mature Asian male behind the valet desk most of the time. I think he’s the lead valet or supervisor. You’ll know him because he’s the bald guy. Customer service is not his forte. He never smiles or says anything.

Overall, I’m very happy with our stay at the HHV. Most of the staff was cordial and professional. To be able to watch the Friday night fireworks show from the balcony was outstanding. Very rarely does it get any better than that. Looking forward to coming back again in April.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank M L
BC
Reviewed September 22, 2009

Travelled to Hawaii this May for the second stay at the Hawaiian Village. First time we stayed in a one bedroom suite which was very comfortable. This last time we were in a two bedroom corner suite! This was beautiful, view of waikiki beach and diamond head from the one of two balconies in this suite. The staff were very helpful and pleasant despite reviews I have read. The only thing I can be negative of from the view of a mom with young adults is the pool at the new tower..............lets just say plenty of young children not a pool you can relax at. The village is located in a very convenient place with plenty of dining options close by. Cannot wait until our next visit!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank leanne1966
Bowie, MD
Reviewed September 19, 2009

We recently stayed a week at the HGVC's Grand Waikikian and we enjoyed every moment of our stay at the resort. Our stay was a result of a VIP package that was purchased after attending a time share presentation in Las Vegas. I thought since I wanted to come to Hawaii anyway why not do it thru this program. I probably could come up with a lot of cons to doing it this way if I thought about it but the ones that come to mind are just the frequent calls to offer you more stuff and ask you by more points, etc. And then I was still required to attend a 90 minutes presentation here in Hawaii which I really didn't want to do because I knew I would be wasting the rep's time in addition to my time since I knew I would not be purchasing the timeshare. The gentleman that I met with the 90 minute presentation was nice and I think he kind of sensed from the beginning that I was not going to purchase the timeshare. I don't understand the concept. I have stayed in very nice places when I've traveled and I never spend the money that they calculate that I will spend on vacations over a prescribed time period. For the people that timeshares works for I say great but for me I don't see the value. For my cons those would be the most significant two. Everything else was a positive. The Grand Wakikian was beautiful and well appointed. We stayed in a 2 bedroom/2 bath unit with a view of the ocean. We could see it well enough from the balacony of our condo on the 19th floor. Everything about the room was lovely. If I was to complain about anything it would be that the kitchen did not seem to be as well stocked as some of the other condo type places that I've stayed. Which was fine I guess since we did not plan on doing much cooking at all if any. The washer and dryer took a long time to both wash and dry a small load of clothes. I personally have never heard of the brand but I know I would never buy one based on my experience during this vacation. Otherwise things were very nice. Things are expensive in Honolulu period and they are certainly expensive around the Hilton Hawaiian Village. You are within walking distance of lots of things and places to eat. The bus stop is near by and you can take it almost anywhere on the island. We purchased some grocery items from Foodland which is a short walk or bus ride from the hotel. We walked there once and and caught the bus another time when went back to the mall the food store is located in. The Walmart is about 2-3 blocks from the mall and if we had known that before shopping at Foodland, we would gone there because most of the stuff we got from FoodLand we could have got from Walmart a little cheaper. I forgot my manual toothbrush and brought one at first from Foodland for $4.50, only to go to a drug store upstairs called Long Drug store and found Oral B twin packs for $1.99. I ended up with 4 toothbrushes for the price of one. We went on a few tours since it was our first time here in Honolulu. The tours were not that expensives but unless you have your own car or want to ride the bus it make sense to see most of the things by using the tours. Most of the things were pretty far out and while the bus did go to most of them it would have taken twice if not three times the time as most things were far out. We went to the Polynesian Culture Center it was nice but I don't know if I would do the meal there again, the food was not good. It was passable but I would have just as soon packed a sandwich in my bag. We went to a luau at Germaine's again the food was just passable. But the shows at both places were nice. We also went on a tour that included Pearl Harbor and what is called the Circle Island tour. The visit to Pearl Harbor was an informative and solemn experience. The circle island tour took you around the whole island, with stops at various points of interest. It was a great opportunity to see more of the island than we would have seen otherwise. Te cabs are very expensive for even a short ride. We did that once just because we did not know how close the bus stop was and we had the groceries to bring back and some things were perishable. We learned the bus route quick after that short ride for $10. The people we encountered were very nice. When I first arrived I was not impressed with what I saw starting with the airport and the ride from from the airport to the resort. The morning put a whole new shine on the picture. I could see the ocean....just beautiful. I think I will come again to enjoy the ocean and try some of the water activities that I really did not take advantage of this time around.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank Travelsuster
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed September 18, 2009

Beautiful hotel - room was clean and spacious with a refrigerator. We loved the option of having 4 pools to go to, esp. one with 2 water slides in addition to one of the most beautiful beaches on-site. I walked all the way from the Waikiki Beach at the Hyatt back to this hotel and I must say that this portion of the beach is the cleanest and less crowded area. It also has it's own lagoon and lots of restaurants and shops on the property - you don't even need to go outside the complex. The kids loved it! Parking rate was expensive, but public transportation was right outside.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank MeSSanFrancisco_CA
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 13, 2009

you'd have to be royalty to not like this place. it's grand and i had zero complaints that truly matter. but don't go without a deep pocket. the shopping in the hilton hawaiian village is expensive, even pizza, it costs over $6 for two scoops of ice cream in a cone or cup and $4 for an iced coffee.

but if you have a deep pocket or can survive on sandwiches and yogurt from the ABC store in the mall, then you can do it. the access to waikiki beach is a few minutes. the views from our room of waikiki beach and diamond head are perfect. we were on the 7th floor, don't go any higher than that (we were in the rainbow tower) if you are afraid of heights and want to enjoy the roomy balcony by lounging out there.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends