“Perfect location, not so perfect property”

Hilton Grand Vacations at Hilton Hawaiian Village
Ranked #29 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Madison, WI
“Perfect location, not so perfect property”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed at the Hilton Grand Vacations Lagoon Tower at the Hilton Hawaiian Village at Waikiki HI. We stayed in a 2-BR corner unit on the 4th floor next to the Parking Garage and Great Lawn. The Hilton Hawaiian Village to begin a very large property which is shared by both the Hilton Grand Vacations and Hilton Hotels. It is quite a impressive complex of hotels, suites, restaurants, pools and shops. When we checked in at the shared Grand Waikikian and Lagoon Tower Lobby, we were given very poor directions to our tower that we ended up walking quite a distance away from the Lagoon Tower! It was not fun dragging our luggage around after a 8 1/2 hr. plane trip!When we finally got settled into our 2-BR suite and after a quick bite to eat, we realized very quickly that we located right next to the Starlight Luau which was held nightly a top the Parking Garage right next to us! Not only did we have to endure this nightly, but the walls in this tower are paper thin and again, unfortunately for us on our first night, the room above us (mostly teenagers from the sound of it) decided to party loudly until 3 am! We almost called Security but didn't. Fortunately the noise makers above left the next day! There were a number of other problems: the sink disposal did not work, the tub in the master's BR drained very slowly, the safe could not be locked because of low battery, the shower in the master BR was weak b/c the switch from faucet to shower was not working (was predominantly on faucet mode), had only 1 maid service for 10 days of stay (really?). When the maid service came that one time, did not restock kitchen and did not dust the unit! If you rented a car for your vacation, be ready to pay $30 per day for Valet Parking or $25 per day for Self Park. The lagoon and beach area was very nice but be prepared to spend $30 for all day umbrella and $15 all day for beach lounge chairs otherwise be content with just a towel! The property is nicely situated and close enough to get to all the sites that Honolulu has to offer (Diamond Head, Koko Crater, Hanauma Bay, Chinatown, North Shore, Pearl Harbor, etc.). We did a majority of our cooking in our unit. Groceries are very expensive but so is eating out. I would go back to this property but only if they placed me in a corner 2-BR facing the lagoon on a high floor away from the nightly luau!

Room Tip: Higher floors corner unit facing lagoon/ocean away from Parking Garage where a nightly luau is held...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank curious2travel
hiltongrandvacations, Manager at Hilton Grand Vacations at Hilton Hawaiian Village, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for staying at the Hilton Grand Vacations at the Hilton Hawaiian Village and for taking time to give us your input regarding your most recent stay. We were delighted to have you as a guest at our resort and are very happy to see that you were satisfied with many components of your stay; however, I would like to personally apologize to you for the problems you experienced while at the resort.

Although there are many areas where you did identify being very satisfied with your experience, as a team we strive to achieve a perfect 10 in all areas. One of the immediate items that I will address and correct is the problem you experienced with Maintenance and Housekeeping. I am truly sorry you experienced this challenge and that we failed to promptly resolve it to your satisfaction. Please know that experiences such as these do not go unaddressed at the resort. I will forward your comments to Maintenance and Housekeeping Department Heads to follow up with their team to ensure that your experiences are indeed resolved and not allowed to be experienced by other members and guests.

On behalf of the entire resort team, I would like to thank you once again for sharing your input with us so that we can continue to correct and improve the vacation experiences we provide.

Shiho Natori
Resort Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New Orleans
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

Instead of reservating a regular hotel room at HIlton Hawaiian Village Hotel, we selected HIlton Grand Vacation accommodation: Reason: price was about 20 % higher than hotel room but the studio accommodation came with free Wifi, mini regrigerator, microwave oven and complimentary access to a very clean laundry facility on the same floor. I read many reviews on Lagoon Tower Studio. Almost all of them were negative, citing the bad view, noise from the pool, the location near the elevator etc. I was very nervous before I checked in . Here is the list of my very positive review of STUDIO accommodation here.
#1. Our taxi driver knew ahead of time that we must check in at Lagoon Tower. Check in area was not crowded, a very nice lady greeted us with lei. Doorman and bellmen were courteous and quick. In the past,we had used the main lobby when we had stayed at regular room. Hotel check in line there was always like a Central Station platform. But not at the Lagoon Tower lobby. It is smaller and more private and upscale.
#2. I was hesitant to open the door to our Studio here. We were pleasantly surprised: There were two windows with plantation shutters. We saw ocean from each window. Rainbow tower was located in between our windows, so the wall sort of hid the rainbow tower. All we could see from our window was Pacific Ocean View ! If we looked down, we saw Great Lawn where private parties take place at night. It was quiet and the room was beautifully decorated.
#3. I hope my review will erase the previous negative Studio reviews. Studio did not have any balcony. It was OK with us.
#4. Flat Screen TV has closed to 300 TV channels....I was tired when I checked in as we were on the Big Island prior to Waikiki. So I rested in this comfortable room for 3 full days. Bed was comtemporary and comfortable. Bathroom amneties were from PeterThomasRoth which is an expensive luxury line of skincare product company.
#5.I took many photos of this room. I will try to attach some of the photos with this review.
#6. Excellant and caring Housekeeping staff.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Ozeki
Melbourne
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

I have experienced previous stays at Kahala in 2010, Trump in 2011 and this year taking my 2 daughters aged 5 & 6 y/o I was torn which to pick. I was traveling for 10 days b/w 27 October - 7november 2012.
I needed a kitchenette most importantly- if the children wanted to snack.
On a friends recommendation I was advised the Hilton Grand Vacations would be befitting ....the girls would love the fireworks, the pools, the lagoon as advertised on their website and the fact they had a kitchen was inviting......I thought I would give them a go.

Upon arrival the receptionist requested payment up front?? My first taste of Aloha from Hilton.
I have never experienced this before...normally you would pay at the end of your stay.
Whilst she took an imprint of my card... Normal practice .....she requested another form of payment for incidentals at $250.00 ... I was advised I had to use another card or cash...it was relayed to me that my card she just used was not able to be accepted...indicating it had declined....this annoyed me as I knew there were sufficient funds....in addition I asked what the incidental were for and she replied 'yes' to minibar...THERE WAS NO MINI BAR IN THE ROOM,!!! I still don't know what incidentals she referred to as the room was empty of everything. Not even brochures of the services the complex has to offer...the spa, the shops,Nothing. Not even a magazine.

My card worked fine later that day at the ABC store and at Ala Moana shopping centre.

The receptionist also failed to advise us of the events that are popular within the hotel. There was no welcoming to your room, no direction given of where you are and where everything is......there was no information about any breakfast options....there was literally NO INFORMATION. IT WAS FIND IT YOURSELF. A map was given to us by concierge the day after but still very vague as to what we could experience within the complex given it was so large with multiple buildings.

We waited for our luggage and after an hour phoned, only to be advised that the receptionist had failed to collect our ticket from us.

On day 4 .....typically the cleaning crew arrived after we had left out room at 9.30. On this day they arrived at 8.00 am and left a calling card stating they do not disturb patrons if the Sign is out..and in addition we missed our day and they would return tomorrow. I phoned ASAP and requested someone come back that day. By 2pm no one had serviced the room. I had to demand that this service be actioned immediately as we had no towels.

On day 7 being Friday it was fireworks night. A very popular event and the little ones were devastate when we heard them and ran to watch them. We missed them as they are only on for 5-7 minutes. I then went to speak with the duty manager and vented my frustration from DAY 1 and the above incidents that had happened to date. I was disgusted that there was no advertising or information given when these events happen. It was on this night I discovered that the towers are ALL ...TIME SHARED OWNED AND THEY THOUGHT WE WERE TIME SHARE OWNERS. OMG ! Customer service is totally non existant with this Hotelier group.

The duty manager was mostly concerned about what time she should book the cleaning staff to service the room....in addition I was advised that the cost was $75.00 per day......now this really stressed me to the maximum as I had never heard of this before......she then realized that this was a mistake made by her.......

She was not interested in any other concerns or bad experiences I had with the hotel....Eg; the lack of information, NO WELCOME PACK UPON ARRIVAL GIVEN TO US apparently,
the lagoon as advertised on their webpage is not owned by the hotel ....it is a publiclagoon area and the costs are associated with the rental of beach furniture.
No pool service by the pool.
No room service in your room.
Children are not permitted to wear floaties around their waist in the pool which is deep for them.
Because of the low fence gating the complex near the pool area, there were thieves that casually swam amongst with patrons, stole patrons belongings and pool towels so that they could blend in next time around. Security is non existant on these premises and staff are not interested.
The doors accessing into the pool area do not work and you have to wait for some one to leave to gain entry....advising hotel staff of this was totally a waste of time. It appears this is a daily problem.

Security is a high problem here and safety is of no of concern to this hotel. Given what I experienced when these thieves roamed amongst the patrons in the pool area as I was privy to the incident, I would never ever contemplate staying here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Never A
hiltongrandvacations, Manager at Hilton Grand Vacations at Hilton Hawaiian Village, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Aloha,
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us last October. I want to apologize for your recent experience with us. It is our number one goal to ensure all of our guests have a great vacation as well as a great experience. I have reached out to the appropriate departments regarding the concerns you mentioned and they have ensured me the proper follow up will take place. Again, I apologize for your experiences during your visit with us.

Vince Jongert
Front Services Manager
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

Love the property! Although it is a large property , it's very organized and lush. Great place for a family trip , and even better for a romantic vacation! Loved the restaurants , the multiple swimming pools , and easy access to the beach. Close walk to Dukes for a sunset cruise! There are always different activities going on , the staff makes this a busy but fun time!

Room Tip: I love the view from the Lagoon Tower! If you get a ocean view you can enjoy the fireworks from you...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aysekennedy
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

This complex of multiple buildings is just too big and too confusing for its own good, with grossly inadequate information for new arrivals. We ended up dragging our luggage from one building to another trying to find the right place to check in, and then getting lost going from the check-in desk to our room in another tower. By the time we finally found our room my wife and I were at each other's throats from the stress, which is not how we wanted to start our Hawaiian vacation. My recommendation to management would be to print dozens of "your are here" flyers and put them all around the site so people can have some hope of finding their way from one place to another; I only saw two such maps after we'd been there for a day.

On the plus side, staff we dealt with were friendly and the upgraded room we got in the Kalia tower was very nice - other than being far from the beach.

My advice to most travelers would be to avoid this facility and stay somewhere better organized, either on the main stretch of Waikiki Beach if you want to be there or further out of town for more peace and quiet. Leave the Hilton Hawaiian Village to the big tour groups who come here with their own guides to walk them around the complex.

Room Tip: Kalia Tower has nice rooms but is far from everything else including the beach.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kwshaw1
hiltongrandvacations, Manager at Hilton Grand Vacations at Hilton Hawaiian Village, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Mahalo for choosing the Hilton Hawaiian Village during your recent stay and for providing a review of your stay. Your comments are appreciated and we will certainly take it to heart in order to improve our guest experience. We sincerely apologize for the delay and challenges you encountered during your check in. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the service provided by our staff and the room in the Kalia that you were upgraded to.
We will continue to work toward improving our guest service and hope that you will consider staying with us again on your next trip to Hawaii.

Keiko Warner-Egami
Asst Mgr Front Office
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

This Hilton Grand Vacations booking was by far the most convenient, easiest and well run operation we've experienced in all our leisure travels. The icing on the cake was the outstanding accommodations and services at HGV! Our HVG included a rental car in our rate that the special VIP check in process at Dollar rental car was absolutely seamless and a warm welcome from other past experiences at other rental car places. Next, upon arrival for check-in at the Grand Waikikian front desk adjacent to the Lagoon Tower, the open air lobby was beautiful and everyone from the valet to front desk immediately made us feel welcome! To our surprise, our deluxe suite was two levels with open concept kitchen, dining and living areas which are nicely decorated and very clean. Both bedrooms and the living room had flat TV screens with Direct TV (or equivalent). The master suite was huge and comfy and both bedrooms had private bathrooms with an extra half bath on the first floor which was very convenient. The only very minor drawbacks were: 1) second bedroom had poor lighting and had two twin beds (but we could put the two beds together); 2) there was no real storage closet for golf clubs, coolers, beach chairs etc; and 3) we got charged for an entire week of valet parking even though we parked most nights at a nearby overnight lot (those charges were immediately reversed without question). As for the other amenities, we usually don’t care as we always leave Waikiki during the day on day trips and then return at night for the nightlife. However, our first day we stayed close to the hotel and I would just like to note my observations: the lagoon pool area is very noisy given the water slide area is designed for kids and the “super pool” is a little less noisy. Also, the beach area in front of the hotel is expansive compared to the rest of Waikiki Beach and is less rocky than other parts and the lagoon is a nice feature as well. Also, note well: the sit-down restaurants in the village are very expensive while the food is just average. Clearly, the restaurants at the HHV have a captive audience for those tourists who don’t branch outside of the HHV. In general, the village itself is huge and there are plenty of shops including the ubiquitous ABC store which has something for everyone including an amazing wine selection. We thank the entire HGV staff for their wonderful hospitality and seamless operation. From original booking, to Dollar rental car, to the accommodations, HGV really has all the details nailed down to make this an enjoyable and memorable vacation experience.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the top floor!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CzechMate2010
AUSTIN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

This is our 4th time staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Village and the 2nd at the Grand Vacations Club in the Lagoon Towers. Both times we stayed in a 2 bdrm suite, with kitchen, 2 lanai's living room, with large TV and DVD/Games stations. The Laundry room was great to have a few doors down, no charge to use machines and soap was also provided. The grounds of course are spectacular and family friendly, several pools to choose from and restaurants and bars on site. The beach and lagoon on the property are the best in Waikiki also enjoying Friday night Fireworks. Family or Couples can both find something to do on the property. We look forward to many more visits in our future.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family