“Seriously delish!”

Tonkatsu Ginza Bairin
Ranked #146 of 2,356 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
“Seriously delish!”
Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

Oh my goodness- this place is awesome. I consider myself a foodie and Japanese is probably one of my favorite cuisines. After visiting Japan, I never thought I'd experience food as good in another place- enter Tonkatsu.

I ordered the Katsu curry, which is always my go to. My friend who was completely skeptical of the place ordered some type of Katsu sandwich. There were 2 women at the table next to us eating it so she she figured it must be good-she explained her logic to me post ordering. At that point I was skeptical! Her order looked like a plain sandwich. How deceiving!! My Katsu curry was tasty and came with a great cabbage salad but my friend's sandwich was amazing. I've been thinking about it ever since- rarely do you try something where both people tasting it say they never tasted anything like it. Another added bonus, their lunch specials are great. That sandwich was 10 USD including a cabbage salad and I had a healthy potion of the Katsu curry for 15 USD.

I would've given the restaurant 5 stars- my first on tripadvisor but service was a little lacking that day.

• Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
“Authentic food and good service”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

I had the katsudon and it was amazing. Great service, great food, and great prices. What more could you ask for?

Visited July 2014
Los Altos, California
“Awesome Tonkatsu!”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I heart Tonkatsu so much that I always try to go to different Tonkatsu places when available. I have been to numerous places in Asia (Japan and Hong Kong) also in Northern CA. I must say this is one of the best Tonkatsu place I can remember. Waikiki is like 2nd biggest Japan town in the US. Japanese food always meet certain standard - and this one certainly exceed my expectation. This place is kids' friendly too. Make reservation please, as it gets filled up quite quickly.

• Visited June 2014
Bellevue, Washington
“Tasty............”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

My wife had the tenderloin set and I had the thick loin set. Both were good. Draft beer was fine. Only one Japanese chef who seemed quiet and uninterested. a bit pricy for the quantity/quality, but that is Waikiki !

Visited June 2014
Nazareth, Pennsylvania
“Good, authentic tonkatsu restaurant”
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Had dinner here. Limited but authentic menu. Very attentive service. Very good donburi. Tonkatsu was good too.

• Visited June 2014