“Fantastic charcuterie, great ambience”
Review of Salt Kitchen & Tasting Bar - CLOSED

Salt Kitchen & Tasting Bar
Cuisines: American, Spanish
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 12th Ave.
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Fantastic charcuterie, great ambience”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Salt has been on my list for some time, as I love their 'sister' restaurant, 12th Ave Grill, also in Kaimuki.

I am a fan of the pig in most forms, so when I had an opportunity to try the charcuterie platter, I couldn't resist. Magnificent. Just magnificent. Everything on the board was top class, especially the head cheese and pate.

Still feeling a little hungry (four of us shared the charcuterie platter and a plate of grilled peppers) I ordered the meat plate, again, fabulous. Fantastic sausage, the beef tongue was melt in the mouth, and I can't recommend it highly enough. Four people walked away very happy. It's not cheap, it's not too expensive, but it's worth every penny.

Wine was good, service was excellent. I can't wait to go back.

• Visited January 2013

San Diego, California
“Nice addition to local scene”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I admit I didn't know anything about this place-where they are, what they do. A Chef friend said check it out. $15.00 Cab ride and I arrived at a nondescript store front that barely resembled a Restaurant. Mr. opened the door and it is pretty clear what we stepped into was typical for San Francisco, Portland-but not here. Salt is a neighborhood gathering place to eat mingle and enjoy small plates of food you'd see in 4 season influenced climates.
Gnocchi-pan toasted like Mr. does at home but with mushrooms, herbs, Rabbit Pâté, Charcuterie, Beet Salad, Empanadas, Fried Oysters, and Bacon/Apple Cheddar Ice Cream topped crisp.
Enjoyable. Completely wonky food for Honolulu but well done of course. I usually need a sweater to put down hearty fare especially game, offal and the like but what the heck. It's good. Our Server gently navigated the bits n bobs aspect of the Menu like she might be a reformed
Vegetarian. A new style palace of pork in the Islands isn't a bad thing and the wine list and assertive cocktails were thoughtful but again a bit surprising.
It takes some sack to put together a Menu and food like this here-so I'm not going to give any kick there-even if its a soft one.
Service is excellent too.

• Visited December 2012
Honolulu
“Good atmosphere and drinks”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Great happy hour drinks! The bar space is intimate and "get to know your neighbor" friendly. Very little vegetarian options on the menu.

Visited October 2012
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Well worth trying and returning ..”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Arrived at Salt not knowing what to expect and was very pleasantly surprised. It isn't very large and so reservations are probably a good idea. Were taken upstairs in the industrail, modern style decor. Downstairs is a large bar with what looked like a large selection of drinks. Food can be ordered at the bar. All the meat we were told is local grass fed. I decided to have the tako (octupus) which came with local veggies and the flavors were exceptional. My husband had the burger which was also excellent. I did ask for bread (which does cost extra). If your use to huge plates of food this is not the place, but for local, fresh food, cooked well in a trendy place I would recommend it. Yes, I will return!!

• Visited May 2012
Denver, Colorado
“hip space, not your typical”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Went with friends and enjoyed many different plates at the bar. Service was good as was the food, but nothing really stood out as amazing.

• Visited May 2012