“Good atmosphere and drinks”
Review of Salt Kitchen & Tasting Bar - CLOSED

Salt Kitchen & Tasting Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 12th Ave.
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Great happy hour drinks! The bar space is intimate and "get to know your neighbor" friendly. Very little vegetarian options on the menu.

There are newer reviews for Salt Kitchen & Tasting Bar

Reviewed May 31, 2012

Arrived at Salt not knowing what to expect and was very pleasantly surprised. It isn't very large and so reservations are probably a good idea. Were taken upstairs in the industrail, modern style decor. Downstairs is a large bar with what looked like a large selection of drinks. Food can be ordered at the bar. All the meat we were told is local grass fed. I decided to have the tako (octupus) which came with local veggies and the flavors were exceptional. My husband had the burger which was also excellent. I did ask for bread (which does cost extra). If your use to huge plates of food this is not the place, but for local, fresh food, cooked well in a trendy place I would recommend it. Yes, I will return!!

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Went with friends and enjoyed many different plates at the bar. Service was good as was the food, but nothing really stood out as amazing.

Reviewed May 24, 2012

This little restaurant in Kaimuki turned out to be a fantastic surprise.

When a friend took me here recently,I had never been to Salt, or even to Kaimuki. Even upon taking my seat, I had no idea what I was going to get. We sat downstairs, at the bar. I have no comments regarding the dining room upstairs. I took a look around, noted some of the liquor selections, remembered the items on the menu (which is posted outside) and then noticed the sign which said "tasting bar."

'Ok,' I thought 'this will be at the very least an interesting dining experience.' The place turned out to be great and I will go back.

The menu was fairly small, but the food was very good. We had the burgers (yes, burgers! Delicious burgers!) I had mine without the signature cheese, an act which many people would deplore. Trust me, this burger was awesome anyway. We had the giant prawns, which were a delight. Even the fried potato plate was unique and tasty.

Great drinks, too! But the service! The service was excellent. This is not an establishment in which the excellent service compensates for the food. The service complements the food. My friend lives with a particular dietary issue about which many restaurants are only now becoming really educated. These servers were not only aware of the issue, they were so attentive to the matter, so interested in his experience and so dedicated to their jobs and our happiness that they took a really respectable amount of time (during which we were not neglected) to ensure that the proper recommendations from the menu were made......and when delivering the recommendations, these people soared. Even without this attentiveness to the needs of an individual diner, the service was respectable and of high caliber.

I have only positive things to report.....and I didn't even see the upstairs dining room.

2  Thank travelcommando
Reviewed January 19, 2012

We actually want to give 3.5 points but there is no half point option, so we put 4, because 3 would be too low somehow. My husband and I ordered oxtail empanada, soft shell crab po-boy, albondigas, and veal. They all tasted good.

The po-boy is not exactly the same as I what I had in New Orleans but it was still good, the bread was crispy outside and soft inside. The soft shell crab was crispy enough too. This one is worth 4 stars.

The veal tasted very well too and it's a thick cut, so we got to taste the juice and flavor, we just like the veal very much and it's better than those thin kind you get somewhere else. This one is worth 4 stars.

Albondigas was good but not special, as it's just a meat ball made with pork and beef. So this one is worth 3 stars.

The oxtail empanada was good, the pastry shell was made well and crispy, the meat inside tasted good too, I think it's worth 4 stars but my husband thinks the sauce on the side is too sour and not doing justice to the empanada, so he thinks it's 3.5 stars.

The environment is good though small. At least I know that if I want a good po-boy I can go there again. There are still a lot other interesting items and we would go back to try them.

Our server was very courteous and service was good. He always explained the menu items well whenever we had a question. We would recommend this place to friends. And we would also go back to try other items next time. I'd say this place is good because I personally think it's unfair to compare this tapas place to others in the other cities when there is almost no spanish tapas restaurant in Honolulu. So I would rate this place based solely on my experience there without comparing with others.